• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

LAT: What the halo happened to this Angels tradition?

Arte Moreno, the Angels’ owner, made his fortune in outdoor advertising. He smartly uses the latest and greatest halo for promotional messages, including ticket sales and upcoming events, on the unique outdoor advertising spot in Orange County, with an average of more than 200,000 cars passing on the adjacent 57 Freeway every day.

Even before I opened the article, I knew it was going to be an Arte thing. 

Sad. As a kid I always knew that if we weren’t listening to the game, I could always tell driving home south on the 5 that if the halo was flashing, they won.  Dark, they lost.  

Arte has ripped every single joyful element of this team from me over his tenure.  At some point I just assume he will turn the 2002 trophy back in to MLB.  

Funny, I did a few laps around the stadium last Friday with my son and told him about that tradition not knowing it was eliminated. 

In the grand scheme of things, I suppose this isn't a big deal.  That being said, the lighting of the Halo after a victory was one of those things that was unique to our Angels. For a sport that is rich in tradition, the Angels don't seem to have many and the few things it does have seem to be going away.  Logos change.  Colors change. Team name changes. Things sort of change like the weather.  I think traditions can be nice.  They can make a franchise iconic in some ways. 

I'm not going to lose any sleep over this, but I do think it's a little sad.  Just a little. 

I seem to remember that for many years after they moved it out to the parking lot when they put in the football seats, they didn't light it for many seasons. At some point they started doing it again. Maybe I'm wrong about that.