• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels place Anthony Rendon on the injured list again

BALTIMORE — This has been a familiar story so far for Anthony Rendon, and he’s as eager as anyone else to see the narrative change.

The Angels’ third baseman was placed on the injured list with a strained groin on Monday, the third year in a row he’s been hurt.

Rendon said he first felt some discomfort in his groin during their series in Milwaukee at the end of April, and he played with it until it got to be too much over the weekend in Cleveland.

Now, he doesn’t think he’ll be out long, but he knows that’s been a part of the story before.

“I don’t think it’s too bad,” Rendon said, “but I’ve thought that in the past too and it’s been a little longer. We’ve just got to come up with a game plan today.”

Rendon was out with what seemed like a minor hamstring injury in 2021, and while he was rehabbing he suffered a hip injury that led to season-ending surgery. He suffered a wrist injury last May, played with it for a couple of weeks, went on the injured list for two weeks, returned for a week and then had surgery.

“It’s definitely frustrating,” Rendon said. “I’m angry, whatever adjective for not happy you can think. I’m trying to be positive throughout the whole thing. That’s one thing I’ve learned over the last couple of years. I’ve been getting punched a lot lately. It sucks.”

Rendon, 32, signed a seven-year, $245 million contract with the Angels prior to the 2020 season. Although he lived up to the billing during the pandemic-shortened 2020 season, he played just 105 games in 2021 and 2022 combined.

Rendon had played 30 of the Angels’ first 40 games before leaving Saturday’s game when he said he couldn’t push the groin condition anymore.

It’s a difficult blow for the Angels because Rendon has been productive at the plate, hitting .301 with a .415 on-base percentage. Although he has only one home run, Rendon is excelling in situational at-bats. His 11.5% strikeout rate is a career-best, and he has driven in 11 of 14 runners from third with less than two outs. (The MLB average is about 50%.)

“I don’t know if there’s anyone in the league that’s taken better at-bats consistently than Anthony Rendon has this year,” Manager Phil Nevin said.

The Angels called up infielder Livan Soto to take Rendon’s roster spot.

Nevin said they called up Soto – as opposed to someone like David Fletcher or Michael Stefanic – because of Soto’s defense and his left-handed bat. The Angels are in the midst of a long stretch of games against right-handed pitchers.

Soto, 22, hit .400 with a .996 OPS in 59 plate appearances in the majors last season. This year he started the season at Triple-A and then was moved down to Double-A when Fletcher went to Triple-A. Soto has hit a combined .170 with a .560 OPS in the minors.

Nevin said the Angels have nonetheless been encouraged by what Soto has done lately, as well as what he did last year.

In explaining why he doesn’t think Soto’s numbers this year are indicative of what he can do, Nevin took the opportunity to criticize baseball’s use of an experimental pre-tacked baseball in the Southern League.

“It’s crazy that they just decided to use them as guinea pigs in that league when we’re pulling players (from Double-A),” Nevin said. “And we’re not the only ones. Other teams bring players from Double-A. We feel it’s important for some pitchers to be there and certain position players will be there. And it’s asinine that they’re using this ball there.”

WALSH UPDATE

First baseman Jared Walsh was 3 for 8, with three walks and five strikeouts in his first three games of his rehab assignment at Triple-A.

Walsh has missed the entire season so far while dealing with headaches and insomnia. He underwent treatment at a clinic in Utah.

Nevin said Walsh told him he “felt like his timing was a little better each day.” Walsh is scheduled to continue playing for Salt Lake on Tuesday.

“I couldn’t give you how many days he’s going to be down there,” Nevin said. “I’m going to kind of leave it up to him because he’s been out a little bit and what the injury is or the reason he was not playing.”

NOTES

The Angels activated catcher Chad Wallach (concussion) from the injured list and put him in the starting lineup. They optioned catcher Chris Okey. …

Left-hander Aaron Loup (hamstring) said he’s thrown three bullpen sessions so far. He is expecting to be ready in about a week.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Chase Silseth, 0-0, 3.24 ERA) at Orioles (RHP Dean Kremer, 4-1, 4.97), Tuesday, 3:35 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

21 minutes ago, AngelsWin.com said:

WALSH UPDATE

First baseman Jared Walsh was 3 for 8, with three walks and five strikeouts in his first three games of his rehab assignment at Triple-A.

Walsh has missed the entire season so far while dealing with headaches and insomnia. He underwent treatment at a clinic in Utah.

Nevin said Walsh told him he “felt like his timing was a little better each day.” Walsh is scheduled to continue playing for Salt Lake on Tuesday.

“I couldn’t give you how many days he’s going to be down there,” Nevin said. “I’m going to kind of leave it up to him because he’s been out a little bit and what the injury is or the reason he was not playing.”

@CaliAngel

3 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I know people aren't expecting it, but adding a healthy Walsh to this lineup would be amazing.  

Halos currently with an 80 wRC+ at 1b overall and 56 vs. RHP.  

Don't give up on him.  

Hopefully we get the ‘20 and ‘21 version of him 

27 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I know people aren't expecting it, but adding a healthy Walsh to this lineup would be amazing.  

Halos currently with an 80 wRC+ at 1b overall and 56 vs. RHP.  

Don't give up on him.  

56 vs. RHP is brutal. Walsh would definitely be an upgrade in a platoon with Drury & Urshela.