• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Logan O'Hoppe out 4-6 months with torn labrum

mmc

I know this is an overreaction but I can't help but this is what we can point to that ultimately sinks this season. Giving up 5 runs in the 9th to the Royals then losing O'Hoppe for the season. If they had decent catcher's depth I might feel different but unless Stassi comes back soon and returns to form this is a huge hit.

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I know this is an overreaction but I can't help but this is what we can point to that ultimately sinks this season. Giving up 5 runs in the 9th to the Royals then losing O'Hoppe for the season. If they had decent catcher's depth I might feel different but unless Stassi comes back soon and returns to form this is a huge hit.

What's actually kind of crazy about the situation is, entering spring training, we actually had shockingly good catching depth.  O'Hoppe was a top-rated prospect and Stassi, at the minimum, could be considered a very good backup.  We had Thaiss and Wallach, who would seem like decent fallbacks who can hold serve for short periods of time for short-term injuries.  And we had Quero, who while far off, is an exciting prospect.

That just goes go show you why teams so heavily prioritize catching depth.  We are now down our top two options, and you can quickly see what a huge drop-off it creates.

Since Stassi’s return is so up in the air, I think Perry has to make a trade….wrong time of the year, I know, but you just about have to upgrade over Thaiss and Wallach….Maybe they think they can throw Thaiss out there and hope his rough edges on defense get smoothed out with regular playing time….we’ll see…

Don’t know about a trade, mid season catcher trades are so rare.  I’d pay closer attention to the waiver wire over the next few weeks.  One name on there now DFAd by Cleveland this morning is prospect Bryan Lavastida

4 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Since Stassi’s return is so up in the air, I think Perry has to make a trade….wrong time of the year, I know, but you just about have to upgrade over Thaiss and Wallach….Maybe they think they can throw Thaiss out there and hope his rough edges on defense get smoothed out with regular playing time….we’ll see…

I think Wallach grades out fairly well defensively.  He has historically been a black hole offensively, although he has had a strong start to his AAA season.  All that said, if he can be good defensively, then we'll just have to take it, IMO.  

10 minutes ago, mmc said:

Don’t know about a trade, mid season catcher trades are so rare.  I’d pay closer attention to the waiver wire over the next few weeks.  One name on there now DFAd by Cleveland this morning is prospect Bryan Lavastida

You are probably right but I think Minasian has to explore all options…To make a trade  at this point in the season, it would need to be a situation where another team needs help now at a position and has a catching surplus ….maybe pitching (Barria, Davidson ?)….I realize it isn’t likely but you have to look at it…and it wouldn’t be a major deal…think a catcher like Barria is as a pitcher….ok but not a guy that is a game changer….

Just now, ukyah said:

there was no way this was not going to be season ending. it's a shoulder. best case scenario is this has no career implications. feel awful for the kid, he was easily putting up a rookie of the year contender season in the early returns.

Tatis had the same problem. Kept popping it out on swings and kept trying to play through it after some rehab/rest until he finally underwent surgery after his suspension kicked in

44 minutes ago, mmc said:

Obviously, I'm not a doctor, but I don't really understand the logic of Nevin's quotes here.  There was damage after the first incident, he kept playing, it happened again, and now he needs surgery and is out for 4-6 months.  How can you not draw a connection?  What did they do after the first incident from a medical standpoint?

24 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Jorge Alfaro is in AAA for the Red Sox right now. He's much better than the two guys we have, and I can't believe it would take much to get him.