• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

As Angels try desperately to contend, Phil Nevin may be the throwback they need

Chuck

But speaking to Angels players paints a slightly different story. Nevin's approval rating is high and he has garnered legitimate respect from his star-studded clubhouse. 

"He doesn't need to be doing this," Sandoval said of Nevin, a former No. 1 overall pick who grinded as a coach in the minor leagues for seven years. "He's here because he's dreamed about being a big-league manager. The guys in this clubhouse can sense how badly he wants us to win and wants us to do good."

Multiple players spoke quite highly of Nevin's approachability, communication skills, outrageous love for baseball and general availability; qualities that contrast starkly to his predecessor, Joe Maddon, who by the end of his time in Anaheim, was spending more time on the golf course than the ballyard. Nevin seems to have made a point of changing that culture.

10 hours ago, T.G. said:

So.... @Swordsman78 is Jake Mintz?

LOL.  Jack took too alot of words to explain to people what I told you  the deal was last year.   Now lets get on a winning streak!

BTW - Texas was up 4-0 in the first tonight and lost 5-4.  Baseball happens.  Bad games even out, so do bad BA with runners in SP.  The important thing is the desire/urgency to win and being the scrappy team that won't quit.

9 hours ago, mmc said:

his predecessor, Joe Maddon, who by the end of his time in Anaheim, was spending more time on the golf course than the ballyard.

well, after his managerial disaster class with the Angels, he has no need to worry about anyone taking away his time away from the golf course

21 minutes ago, Trendon said:

well, after his managerial disaster class with the Angels, he has no need to worry about anyone taking away his time away from the golf course

Yeah that whole thing puzzles the hell outta me. Being back “home” with a gigantic contract to boot, I thought that Joe was gonna find another gear in his managing skills but he went the other way sadly. Seemed like he was too smart to rest on his laurels and resume as a skipper…disappointing as that was, I’m really happy that it led to Phil getting the gig. I see a lot of comparisons to Scioscia when he got the job. No BS, tough guy, huge baseball IQ, decent cred as a player in the big leagues. Also, his connection to SoCal and as an Angel (briefly) makes me think he was a really great choice after the Ill-fated Mohawk situation. Another thing was that I was still living in Reno when he was the skipper of the AAA team there. They needed to sweep like a 5-game series from hated rival Sacramento to make the PCL playoffs and they fucking did it. I thought right then that Phil would get a shot in the bigs. I’m happy it’s in Anaheim 

On 4/21/2023 at 3:41 PM, mmc said:

But speaking to Angels players paints a slightly different story. Nevin's approval rating is high and he has garnered legitimate respect from his star-studded clubhouse. 

"He doesn't need to be doing this," Sandoval said of Nevin, a former No. 1 overall pick who grinded as a coach in the minor leagues for seven years. "He's here because he's dreamed about being a big-league manager. The guys in this clubhouse can sense how badly he wants us to win and wants us to do good."

Multiple players spoke quite highly of Nevin's approachability, communication skills, outrageous love for baseball and general availability; qualities that contrast starkly to his predecessor, Joe Maddon, who by the end of his time in Anaheim, was spending more time on the golf course than the ballyard. Nevin seems to have made a point of changing that culture.

What!!!! The Culture King was bad at culture???? But he got a Mohawk!!!!

On 4/21/2023 at 12:42 PM, mmc said:

"We're not losing 12 in a row under Phil, I'll tell you that," one Angel joked, referencing the club's brutal losing streak from a year ago. "He wouldn't let that happen."

Not sure who said this, and not sure how accurate it is. But I will say that with what little info I still get, I know that was a big deal. 

When that wkid happened last year, Maddon (from what I was told) didn't take it too seriously. And that's why he was let go.

31 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Not sure who said this, and not sure how accurate it is. But I will say that with what little info I still get, I know that was a big deal. 

When that wkid happened last year, Maddon (from what I was told) didn't take it too seriously. And that's why he was let go.

One of the ideas Maddon talked about during that was, if he goes and makes a big scene and flips tables and treats it like they absolutely need to win the game, then what does he do if they lose anyway?

His thinking was to keep things are normal and professional as possible. 

I’ve never managed a major league team or played for one, so I don’t know if that was right. But that’s what he said. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

One of the ideas Maddon talked about during that was, if he goes and makes a big scene and flips tables and treats it like they absolutely need to win the game, then what does he do if they lose anyway?

His thinking was to keep things are normal and professional as possible. 

I’ve never managed a major league team or played for one, so I don’t know if that was right. But that’s what he said. 

I don’t care for Maddon but I completely agree with that mindset in that situation. 

45 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I read, he an Minasian didn't get along, and the losing streak was Minasian's chance to axe him, and he did.

I most likely read it on this very forum, from an article someone posted.

36 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t care for Maddon but I completely agree with that mindset in that situation. 

It may be the right mindset for an individual to have but the idea that we should pretend everything is going fine doesn’t sit right with me. 

At work I would say we are very forgiving of mistakes, but when they start to pile up, repeat themselves and don’t show signs of change heads will roll. The boss doesn’t just show up to work with a Mohawk one day implying that all we need is some better luck.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It may be the right mindset for an individual to have but the idea that we should pretend everything is going fine doesn’t sit right with me. 

At work I would say we are very forgiving of mistakes, but when they start to pile up, repeat themselves and don’t show signs of change heads will roll. The boss doesn’t just show up to work with a Mohawk one day implying that all we need is some better luck.

You know how I feel about Maddon, I believe he’s the worst I’ve seen in my 40+ years following the team.  But there’s plenty of things between not knocking over tables and doing something actually productive.  They didn’t lose 12 in a row because he refused to knock over tables. It has more to pushing the other buttons to create change. That’s where he failed. 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You know how I feel about Maddon, I believe he’s the worst I’ve seen in my 40+ years following the team.  But there’s plenty of things between not knocking over tables and doing something actually productive.  They didn’t lose 12 in a row because he refused to knock over tables. It has more to pushing the other buttons to create change. That’s where he failed. 

Sure, there is a lot going on. I’m just saying that acting like everything is ok probably isn’t going to sit right with players. Does it change anything, who knows, but in a result oriented business the results have to mean something tangible.

I guess what I’m saying here is, if you aren’t going to be pushing  those other buttons you better be knocking over tables.