• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ Red Sox (4/15/23) - Neto making MLB debut at SS batting 8th

mmc

1 minute ago, bloodbrother said:

Angels just need to stay afloat at or above .500 while trying to figure this pen out. What gives me hope is that usually, it should be easier to fix a pen throughout the year rather than having to find improvements on offense or especially in the rotation. Angels certainly haven't been the best example of that over the years considering they seemingly can never find quality reliever options, but there's a path there

Gotta hope that they find some surprising reinforcements from the minors and if it comes to it, Perry can acquire a reliever or 2 on the trade market

Bullpens can be fixed fairly quickly, I agree.  We do have some promising arms in the minors, too.  

While this game (and series) has sucked, as did the Blue Jays series, we're at least at 500 for now.  It is very early.  Our GM is very proactive.  So a lot of positives, but I hope do hope they make some fairly obvious roster moves in the upcoming week or two and move on from players who clearly are not particularly useful (Thaiss, Tepera, etc).  They have better options.

3 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

They know the clock is ticking with Ohtani, so I think they'll be far more aggressive at trying to fix things instead of going with the status quo. Neto callup this quickly showed that they know they have to be proactive.

Yeah.  I have faith in Perry to be aggressive and make moves.  There are a lot of signs of improvement with this organization, including a suddenly fairly robust looking farm system, but he needs to continue to work on improving various aspects of this team.  The bullpen has cost this team a few times now, and Thaiss has looked absolutely terrible, as this team has been lit up every game he has caught.

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Bullpens can be fixed fairly quickly, I agree.  We do have some promising arms in the minors, too.  

While this game (and series) has sucked, as did the Blue Jays series, we're at least at 500 for now.  It is very early.  Our GM is very proactive.  So a lot of positives, but I hope do hope they make some fairly obvious roster moves in the upcoming week or two and move on from players who clearly are not particularly useful (Thaiss, Tepera, etc).  They have better options.

.500 isn't doomsday, but they also haven't exactly played a Murderers' Row of teams so far.  Blue Jays are solid and the Mariners will likely be pretty good (though not top tier), but the rest of the teams (A's, Nats, Red Sox) are mediocre to flat-out awful.  I think you'd ideally be comfortably above .500 against that schedule.  Hopefully they can right the ship and win the next two.

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

.500 isn't doomsday, but they also haven't exactly played a Murderers' Row of teams so far.  Blue Jays are solid and the Mariners will likely be pretty good (though not top tier), but the rest of the teams (A's, Nats, Red Sox) are mediocre to flat-out awful.  I think you'd ideally be comfortably above .500 against that schedule.  Hopefully they can right the ship and win the next two.

Yeah, I agree.  They should have taken 2 of 3 agains the Blue Jays, and ideally they could have held on to win this game, which would have made us 9-5 instead of 7-7, but here we are.

Still - hopefully, Minasian can continue the trend of being aggressive.  Thaiss has never really looked the part of a MLB player, and it seems he was given his role simply because he's out of options.  I think likely he just isn't very good, and I'd rather at least hand the job to someone who has shown they can at least hold serve defensively as a catcher, even if they can't really hit.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Yeah, he immediately walked off the field after a pitch. 

Ah okay, my bad then.  Maybe he has pitched poorly because he's been pitching with a bum shoulder?  No idea, but that said, if his shoulder is hurt, that should be a significant IL stint, I would imagine.

This should enable Wantz to get recalled back.  Given he was one of our best receivers, we could definitely use him.

7 hours ago, Blarg said:

Well, the Angels are screwed tomorrow because first tee time is 10am. 

Then Monday is a bit early for baseball out there I guess.  I’ll watch the game on the east coast in place of my usual 8am screening of Have Gun Will Travel.

3 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Time is nearing for talk of trading Ohtani plus others.

The trading deadline is August 1st.  The organization and life will continue, even if this is another lost year.  I’m rooting for the Angels to make the playoffs but have considered what would happen if we’re not in contention at the deadline.  Does Ohtani get traded or does Arte consider the fan experience this year to be more important to the future than prospects.  What happens with Renfroe and Urshela?  Loup and Tepera if they’re pitching well?  Moore even more so.