• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Cabbage Patch Kid

I have no problem giving Cabbage a shot over Lamb. Lamb had three hits on Monday, but three strikeouts yesterday and opened the season hitting .222 / .282 / .250 in 12 games.

With Fletcher's demotion and being outrighted to the minors, one has to wonder if any underperforming Vet is safe. Lamb is the worst offender, but the other guys...Drury is under contract for two years, but his .200 / .236 / .320 is only slightly better and Rengifo is hitting .178/.315/.244.

I don't know when Walsh is back, but whether its he or Cabbage, in a 7 game week with no days off, I think it should look like this:

3B- Rendon 6, Urshela 1

SS- Neto 5, Urshela 2

2B- Drury 4, Urshela 3

1B- Cabbage / Walsh 5- Drury 2

Rengifo should be playing every day in AAA. Bring someone else up who can be a defensive replacement or carry a 3rd catcher. Thaiss can fill in at 1st if there is an issue.

Cabbage is hitting .393/.424/.750 with 12 SO and only 2 BB, but he has 4 2b, 2 3B and 4 HR. He's 22/56 with 10 XBH.

Just now, Hubs said:

I have no problem giving Cabbage a shot over Lamb. Lamb had three hits on Monday, but three strikeouts yesterday and opened the season hitting .222 / .282 / .250 in 12 games.

With Fletcher's demotion and being outrighted to the minors, one has to wonder if any underperforming Vet is safe. Lamb is the worst offender, but the other guys...Drury is under contract for two years, but his .200 / .236 / .320 is only slightly better and Rengifo is hitting .178/.315/.244.

I don't know when Walsh is back, but whether its he or Cabbage, in a 7 game week with no days off, I think it should look like this:

3B- Rendon 6, Urshela 1

SS- Neto 5, Urshela 2

2B- Drury 4, Urshela 3

Rengifo should be playing every day in AAA. Bring someone else up who can be a defensive replacement or carry a 3rd catcher. Thaiss can fill in at 1st if there is an issue.

Cabbage is hitting .393/.424/.750 with 12 SO and only 2 BB, but he has 4 2b, 2 3B and 4 HR. He's 22/56 with 10 XBH.

Also you could play Urshela at 1st one day and give Neto an additional day at SS.

I think Neto will be given every opportunity to keep SS job. Other options at SS not good. Thaiss has done nothing to keep a spot-on roster. Rengifo seems to be odd man out right now as he will serve as halo super sub. Drury not going anywhere with 2 year deal. When Walsh comes back see what he can do as his 2022 was not good. I like Cabbage if Walsh does not hit or big bat coming off the bench. When Stassi and Walsh come back roster will change and Lamb will be gone and also I think Thaiss.

54 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Lamb is a career .235 hitter and hit .216 last year. The Angels knew exactly what they were getting when they signed him.  He's just played way more games than they anticipated.  I doubt they called up Cabbage to replace Lamb.  Although... nothing would surprise me.  Walsh just needs to get right quickly...

A nice week from Cabbage, over the last 7 games (mostly against Oakland):

12/30 H/AB's for a .400 average, with three doubles and three Hr's and two steals contributing to his 8 runs and 8 RBI's, with no walks and 7 strike-outs across the week. Played 5 games at 1B, 2 at DH.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

3B- Rendon 6, Urshela 1

SS- Neto 5, Urshela 2

2B- Drury 4, Urshela 3

rengifo should not be sent down. it's his time to make adjustments and see what kind of a full season he can put together as a starter.

i'd be fine with giving cabbage a shot over lamb.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

3B- Rendon 6, Urshela 1

SS- Neto 5, Urshela 2

2B- Drury 4, Urshela 3

Cabbage over Lamb?

Does that come with a black and tan?

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Cabbage’s K rate is only 1 per every 5 PAs, nothing wrong with that.

Any player who is tattooing the ball doesn’t need to walk a lot.

Across 2021-22, Cabbage walked 67 times in some 570 PAs, although he also K’d 207 times.

Yeah, but that's 1-in-5 in the PCL. I feel like (right now) he would get exposed, quickly, by Major League pitchers. Sure, there might be the occasional mistake pitch he hits 450 feet or so, but it wouldn't be out of the question for him to K 250x if given a full slate of PAs, which would never happen if he Ks that much. 

19 hours ago, mmc said:

Rengifo is out of options

How? I saw he was out on Spotrac, but he debuted in 2019...doesn't that mean this is his last option year? 

Players typically have three option years, but those who have accrued less than five full seasons (including both the Major and Minors) are eligible for a fourth if their three options have been exhausted already. For the purposes of this rule, spending at least 90 days on an active Major League or Minor League roster during a given season counts as one full season. Players also earn a full season if they spend at least 30 days on an active Major League or Minor League roster AND their active-roster and injured-list time amounts to at least 90 days in a given season.

13 minutes ago, Hubs said:

How? I saw he was out on Spotrac, but he debuted in 2019...doesn't that mean this is his last option year? 

Players typically have three option years, but those who have accrued less than five full seasons (including both the Major and Minors) are eligible for a fourth if their three options have been exhausted already. For the purposes of this rule, spending at least 90 days on an active Major League or Minor League roster during a given season counts as one full season. Players also earn a full season if they spend at least 30 days on an active Major League or Minor League roster AND their active-roster and injured-list time amounts to at least 90 days in a given season.

The blurb you posted answers your question for you.  He has accrued more than five full seasons by this definition, since it covers Major League and Minor League roster time.