• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2023-2024 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

17 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I think that's the case with any draft.  Top of first round is usually the only sure thing.  This season, more of the top of the first round.  After that, it's just fishing for that prospect that got away.  But usually there are a few after the cream that become big players.  Who those players are is anybody's guess.  If someone knew who Luc Robitaiile, or Henrik Zetterberg would be in the NHL, they wouldn't have been taken in the 9th and 7th rounds.  I mean look at the Kings.  They took Byfield second in 2020.  He does not look like what a second pick should look like.  Whereas McTavish picked third in 2021 looks more like what a top pick should look like.

That was considered a weak draft class. We picked McTavish, Zellweger, Pastujov, and Hinds. Guys, who two years later, look to have a solid chance at a lengthy NHL career. 

The problem for the Ducks in this draft was we didn't have the first round picks to capitalize on the abundance of talent. Big talented forwards went quick. Verbeek wasn't willing to take a chance on the two or three smaller talents that fell to us at 33. He took an admitted support guy instead.

42 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

A friend of mine gave me an original purple jersey, plain.  It's beautiful.  But yeah, I don't have an orange one either.  I'm still waiting to see who to get, as a plain is kind of boring.  Might just go with Kariya since he's my guy, but he's never worn it, so it's a dilemma.  

Yeah, you kind of need an original teal one for Kariya. Probably best for Selanne, too.

Orange I have to go with Kesler or if you' re more the type Bieska. Getzlaf would be good to go with orange.

32 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I would compare them this way, Fantilli is like Cam Newton. He was great in college and has all the tools. Big, fast, tough, plays with an edge and has all the physical tools. If he puts it together he'll be a generational type player. He doesn't have the processing of some other guys, but even if he doesn't figure it out, he'll still be really good. 

Carlson is more like Philip Rivers or Peyton Manning. They have the prototypical size. They see the game a little better than everyone else, but he won't ever bring the speed element but they'll carve you up. And if you surround then with premium playmakers, they are virtually unstoppable, but you may miss the speed element.

Yeah, I agree.

I don't see either of them being highly probable at being one of the best 5-7 players in the league.

Short of that, I think a team is in the position of having to build an overall  quality team. Cap management and thus not getting laden with long term overpriced contracts will be very important. Teams do it. But it's easier to have that star to win the cup.

16 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

Yeah, you kind of need an original teal one for Kariya. Probably best for Selanne, too.

Orange I have to go with Kesler or if you' re more the type Bieska. Getzlaf would be good to go with orange.

Getzlaf would be a good one.  But while I loved him, he was never my guy.  Kariya was my guy and the reason I'm a Ducks fan.  So I'm just waiting to see if any of these guys become my guy.  Z is coming close, but his chirping and penalty taking is holding him back.

45 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I would compare them this way, Fantilli is like Cam Newton. He was great in college and has all the tools. Big, fast, tough, plays with an edge and has all the physical tools. If he puts it together he'll be a generational type player. He doesn't have the processing of some other guys, but even if he doesn't figure it out, he'll still be really good. 

Carlson is more like Philip Rivers or Peyton Manning. They have the prototypical size. They see the game a little better than everyone else, but he won't ever bring the speed element but they'll carve you up. And if you surround then with premium playmakers, they are virtually unstoppable, but you may miss the speed element.

I'm just worried if someone turns into Ryan Leaf.  

9 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Getzlaf would be a good one.  But while I loved him, he was never my guy.  Kariya was my guy and the reason I'm a Ducks fan.  So I'm just waiting to see if any of these guys become my guy.  Z is coming close, but his chirping and penalty taking is holding him back.

Zegras would be good to get in orange. But like you say, maybe better to wait and see how that turns out.

I do see better things ahead for Z. I think bringing in centers will allow him to mostly play wing. It will take away some of his weakness. I think they should keep playing him at center some though. It gives him an incentive to continue developing his D game.

Ok, this makes no sense.  Blue Jackets had 3 not 4.  But if the Jackets were trying to move from 3 to 2, and you liked Carlsson more, you trade the pick.

NHL Rumors: Soucy, Myers, Puljujarvi, Rangers, Penguins, Blue Jackets, and the Ducks

The Blue Jackets tried to move in the first round

Brian Hedger: Columbus Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen called Anaheim Ducks GM Pat Verbeek yesterday morning in an attempt to move up from No. 4 to No. 2.

“I had a brief conversation this morning and he wasn’t moving, so … I think two, three and four, we all thought we were going to get a really good player and let’s wait and see who it is.”

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Ok, this makes no sense.  Blue Jackets had 3 not 4.  But if the Jackets were trying to move from 3 to 2, and you liked Carlsson more, you trade the pick.

NHL Rumors: Soucy, Myers, Puljujarvi, Rangers, Penguins, Blue Jackets, and the Ducks

Like I said, I think it was more than liking Carlson. They had a problem with Fantilli. Otherwise, you make the trade (as long as the payoff is significant enough). There is the possibility they didn't think the offer was worth much.

NHL restricted free agents qualifying offer tracker: Ducks’ Max Comtois to become UFA

Anaheim Ducks

Maxime Comtois:

Comtois is coming off of a 19-point season for the Ducks. His qualifying offer would have been $2.445 million had the Ducks decided to qualify him. He was a top prospect in the Ducks organization but like so many players on this list, he failed to reach the expectations set for him.

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

I think he has the talent to be a good hockey player. He seems to have checked out on the Ducks though. Another high draft pick that we either missed on or didn't develop properly.

This is just a continuation of why the org is so limited in NHL talent and why we didn't have the assets to get better draft picks. A big hole for around five,six years (2013-18) in our 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks. Of the two that turned out the best, we gave one away and traded the other. Both being developed to where they are by other organizations.

Interesting list of non QO.  

Ducks Extend Qualifying Offers to Five Restricted Free Agents

The Ducks did not tender qualifying offers to the following six players who will become unrestricted free agents tomorrow, July 1:

• Axel Andersson - Defenseman
  • Simon Benoit - Defenseman
  • Max Comtois - Left Wing
  • Olle Eriksson-Ek - Goaltender
  • Bryce Kindopp - Right Wing
  • Josiah Slavin - Left Wing

Benoit was the only guy on defense that could be physical and hit.  But LD, so lots of youngsters, actually almost all of them are LD's.  Might mean some of them will make the show.  Axel Andersson was a surprise though.  He as touted as a scoring RD, and it just didn't seem to happen at SD.  I really think that without Benoit, they will really have to get some veteran to pair with Fowler.  I just can't see an entire defense of youngsters.

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Interesting list of non QO.  

Ducks Extend Qualifying Offers to Five Restricted Free Agents

Benoit was the only guy on defense that could be physical and hit.  But LD, so lots of youngsters, actually almost all of them are LD's.  Might mean some of them will make the show.  Axel Andersson was a surprise though.  He as touted as a scoring RD, and it just didn't seem to happen at SD.  I really think that without Benoit, they will really have to get some veteran to pair with Fowler.  I just can't see an entire defense of youngsters.

I don't get letting Benoit go at all.

9 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

I don't get letting Benoit go at all.

Not qualifying him isn't necessarily letting him go. If he's arb eligible it means they just don't want to go through that. They can still work out a contract but how much is a 3rd pair Dman actually worth?

8 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Not qualifying him isn't necessarily letting him go. If he's arb eligible it means they just don't want to go through that. They can still work out a contract but how much is a 3rd pair Dman actually worth?

What did Colorado give up to acquire and resign Manson? I would say Benoit is the same type/caliber player only younger.

What was the qualifying amount to sign Benoit? I don't think he was making much if the Ducks wanted to resign. No, I think he's gone. 

If he played for a team trying to get under the cap, maybe.

I could see long term Benoit not having a place on the Ducks. But, next year? Who are they going to replace him with?

I'll wait and see who Verbeek signs to replace him and Shattenkirk. Until then, I have my conspiracy fears that the tank is on full throttle.

Come on man. I know you guys have this irrational hatred of Manson but Benoit is an absolute offensive zero. He doesn’t carry the puck out of zone. He doesn’t make stretch passes. He’s a third pair 12 minutes a night defender. I’d argue that qualifying him is more of a sign that the tank is on

We don’t hate Manson. In fact I think he’s a really good guy. But..., he’s a third line D guy who has no offense, can’t carry the puck out of the zone, and doesn’t pass that well.

What does he do well?  He’s a decent defender (check Benoit), he stands up and fights for his teammates (check Benoit), he makes a lot of physical contact (check Benoit)- well, now in Colorado he’s gone back to it more.

You know, we watched Manson for what, 6 or so seasons. It’s not just that Bob gave up Theodore to keep him and signed him for too much. It’s that he’s just not that good ( And, Benoit is better than you’re giving him credit for). Also, he gave up being a physical presence once he got his big contract in Anaheim. Tried to be a skill guy to prolong his career. But, he didn’t have the skills to do it.

Verbeek passed on both of them. I get why. I just think it’s too early for Benoit considering the  situation of the team and how much he costs.

Like I said in my post, let’s see who he brings in to replace him. If it’s guys like Beaulieu, I’m suspect; Harrington, same o same o; somebody with well rounded talent, okay that’s an upgrade.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/g/gudasra01.html?utm_medium=linker&utm_source=www.prohockeyrumors.com&utm_campaign=2023-07-01_hr

2022-2023 hits 312 blocks 124.  Not that much offense.  But Corsi and Fenwick are around 50%.  A bit of an overpay at 3/$12.  But it's much better than Shattenkirk, and a legit pairing for Fowler.  

I like the Killorn signing.  It's expensive, 4/$6.25.   But this is the replacement for Rico and more specifically Silfverberg.  It also gives the Ducks time, instead of rushing Carlsson.  I read that he is signed to his Swedish team for another year or two, but can't find the article.  

So what's the lines now?

McTavish/Rico/Terry

Z/Killorn/Strome

Lundestrom/Vatrano/?

Silfverberg/Jones/McGinn/Nesterenko/Carrick/Leason are what's left.