• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ Giants (3/19/23): Davidson on the mound

I got distracted during that last Giants inning. I noticed their regular season begins with 9 straight games against the Yankees, White Sox and Royals., They don't see NL opposition until 10 games in. I then noticed the Angels have a very weird July. They are only in Southern California from June 30 through July 23 (July 24 off day). Ohtani, Trout and whoever may have to go to Seattle for the T-Mobile Game.

Davidson had a tough luck game IMO. He didn't pitch as bad (outside of a couple badly placed pitches), but mostly bad luck (hitting them where they ain't). 

Any chance we carry him as a reliever/long man so we don't lose him? Canning and Silseth and Davidson before this start have all pitched really well. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Davidson had a tough luck game IMO. He didn't pitch as bad (outside of a couple badly placed pitches), but mostly bad luck (hitting them where they ain't). 

Any chance we carry him as a reliever/long man so we don't lose him? Canning and Silseth and Davidson before this start have all pitched really well. 

Based on performance, so far, Canning deserves to be named the 6th starter. If they keep Davidson, they need to trade Barria. I don't see them keeping both. I think Jacob Webb and Joyce would be be great options for the pen to go along with Estevez, Moore, Loup, Tepera, Herget and Wantz. I like Quijada, but think he could use more time in the minors learning to throw strikes. If Webb and Joyce are added to the 40 man, they can drop 2 of Marte, Garza and Weiss.

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think they probably will carry him to start the season.

They don’t need a 6th starter until 4/12, so they have an extra spot to carry someone in the pen.

Here's the reality: Per Nevin, they're not going to have #6 starter pitch for a few weeks into the season. So, you have two options: You can have Davidson as a swingman/long reliever to start the season, or you can bring up Canning in two weeks. There is literally no reason to have Canning on the team to start the year if they're going to only use five to start. And unless you don't care about losing Davidson (which feels like squandering depth, imo), but you should probably use him. Canning will get his starts this season. Zero chance everyone is healthy all year, so he'll be here. He just won't be on the Opening Day roster unless there's an injury to the rotation. 

7 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Here's the reality: Per Nevin, they're not going to have #6 starter pitch for a few weeks into the season. So, you have two options: You can have Davidson as a swingman/long reliever to start the season, or you can bring up Canning in two weeks. There is literally no reason to have Canning on the team to start the year if they're going to only use five to start. And unless you don't care about losing Davidson (which feels like squandering depth, imo), but you should probably use him. Canning will get his starts this season. Zero chance everyone is healthy all year, so he'll be here. He just won't be on the Opening Day roster unless there's an injury to the rotation. 

Yeah, I think what they'll end up doing is sending Canning to AAA and using Davidson out of the pen to start the season.

That allows them to push back the decisions on the 6th starter and Davidson.