• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Reid Detmers aims to be a 20-game winner

Somehow it feels that Chipper Jones is underrated. If Schmidt is the easy pick for best third baseman of all time, and Matthews probably #2, then Jones is the next group with Boggs, Brett, and Beltre (who may also be a bit underrated), and ahead of Hall of Famers like Brooks Robinson, Santo, Rolen, etc.

I also like his career arc. It looked like he was in decline in his early 30s, going from career best 7.3 WAR in 1999 (age 27) to 3.9 in 2003 and 3.3 in 2004, then surged back with a nice four-year run, culminating in a 7.1 season in 2008 when he hit .364. His last four years were just solid, average+ regular stuff, but he was still a good ball player at age 40. Hopefully Trout can emulate that.

Edited by Angelsjunky

38 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Somehow it feels that Chipper Jones is underrated. If Schmidt is the easy pick for best third baseman of all time, and Matthews probably #2, then Jones is the next group with Boggs, Brett, and Beltre (who may also be a bit underrated), and ahead of Hall of Famers like Brooks Robinson, Santo, Rolen, etc.

I also like his career arc. It looked like he was in decline in his early 30s, going from career best 7.3 WAR in 1999 (age 27) to 3.9 in 2003 and 3.3 in 2004, then surged back with a nice four-year run, culminating in a 7.1 season in 2008 when he hit .364. His last four years were just solid, average+ regular stuff, but he was still a good ball player at age 40. Hopefully Trout can emulate that.

He's extremely underated. I once got in a Facebook debate (lol) with a dumbass Yankee fan. He posted some glowering thing about how no other player will match Derek Jeter's success playing for one team. I pointed out how Chipper Jones played for one team for 19 years, was a switch hitter, and had better numbers than Jeter. He got pissed and used the "wHo HaS mOrE RiNGs?" argument.

16 hours ago, Taylor said:

I'd be happy if it he simply made it through the fifth inning in a majority of his starts.

He averaged 5.16 IP last year and pitched at least 5 innings in 15 of 25 starts. Happiness achieved!!!!111!!!!!!

Glad you said this, made me look at his game logs because I couldn't really remember if he had been running high counts or had just been bad.  He doesn't look to be particularly inefficient, seems most of his early exits were when he tanked.  Never a good thing to be knocked out of games but I view his not being Nibs 2.0 as a good thing.