• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2023 MLB Season Thread

m0nkey

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/36304568/mlb-tells-braves-stop-celebrating-home-runs-big-hat

"The Atlanta Braves have been celebrating home runs with an oversized hat this season, but that has been put to a stop after a complaint from the league's official on-field hat manufacturer.

The Braves said they can no longer sport the oversized baseball cap to celebrate home runs after complaints from New Era, who did not manufacture the big hat being used by players in the dugout."

12 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/36304568/mlb-tells-braves-stop-celebrating-home-runs-big-hat

"The Atlanta Braves have been celebrating home runs with an oversized hat this season, but that has been put to a stop after a complaint from the league's official on-field hat manufacturer.

The Braves said they can no longer sport the oversized baseball cap to celebrate home runs after complaints from New Era, who did not manufacture the big hat being used by players in the dugout."

Very disturbing news, first that such an imitation existed and second that it may not be allowed to continue.

On 4/23/2023 at 9:02 AM, Stradling said:

Right after the A’s signed Fujinami some thought they got a steal.  Then when he had a good two innings against us opening weekend and some were questioning whether we should have gone after him.  I am watching him pitch against Texas.  Just a reminder, that he is awful.  His ERA is over 11.  

Fujinami had difficulty controlling the ball in the latter half of his NPB era, and was suspected of suffering mild "yips".
He himself struggled until he moved to MLB in an attempt to overcome his difficulty in controlling the ball.

Baseball Reference: Stats of Shintaro Fujinami

Abbreviations: 
 JPCL, Central League (one of the two NPB leagues)
 JPWL, Western league (one of the two minor NPB leagues)

Reference: Jan 24, 2023 Online Nikkan Sports (Japanese Sports Newspaper)

Title: Shintaro Fujinami talks about the difficulty of controlling the ball,
"I suffer yips, I suffer yips... Thinking like that is just an escape."

Interesting bit about Nevin from Fangraphs Sunday Notes by David Laurila:

Phil Nevin hit the first of his 208 big-league home runs as a rookie outfielder with the Detroit Tigers. I recently asked the now-Los Angeles Angels manager for his memories of the September 3, 1995 milestone. 

“I couldn’t tell you the date, but I know it was a day game,” said Nevin, who’d debuted with the Houston Astros in June before being dealt to Detroit in exchange for Mike Henneman two months later. “Albie Lopez was the pitcher and I hit it into the upper deck in right-center field at old Tiger Stadium. I crushed it. Yeah, you never forget your first one.”

Nevin has the ball; what he doesn’t have is video of the blast itself. Not every game was on TV at the time, and as fate would have it, the Sunday afternoon 9-8, 10-inning loss to Cleveland wasn’t televised. Nevin does have Ernie Harwell’s radio call — “I appreciated getting to know Ernie; he was a legend in Detroit” — but the voice of another broadcast icon is even more memorable. 

“I have the first home run I hit at Dodger Stadium, with Vin Scully calling it,” explained Nevin. “I grew up listening to him. When I heard Vin Scully say my name for the first time, that was when I felt like, ‘Wow. I’m in the major leagues’ — and I’d been in the major leagues for four years. Vinnie Scully is the guy I went to bed listening to every night.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-bill-haselman-recalls-the-brawl-that-almost-broke-cals-streak/

The White Sox are having an awful start to the season at 8-21.  Steve Adams at MLBTR reviews possible trade candidates for closer to the deadline.

“Yasmani Grandal, C, 34, $18.25MM

The switch-hitting Grandal has bounced back at the plate with a .241/.323/.446 batting line (114 wRC+) and three homers in 93 plate appearances. His 8.6% walk rate is well down from its career 14.5% level, and his once-vaunted defensive ratings have fallen below average at 34. Given his considerable salary, Grandal is only changing hands if the ChiSox eat a good portion of the bill.”

Grandad could be an option but someone like that doesn’t really improve the depth.  Maybe one of the catchers that have been dfa will become free agents or something like that.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/05/which-players-could-white-sox-make-available-closer-to-the-trade-deadline.html

Edited by Revad