• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Who is your all-time Angels Mount Rushmore?

Chuck

39 minutes ago, HanfordGuy said:

Nolan, Trout, Salmon and Chance

Another one I overlooked is Dean Chance:

With a touch of wildness and the habit of never looking at home plate once he received the sign from his catcher, Chance would turn his back fully towards the hitter in mid-windup before spinning and unleashing a good fastball, sinker or sidearm curveball.[2]

In 1964, Chance became at the time the youngest pitcher to win the Cy Young Award[3] when, as a member of the Los Angeles Angels, he led the American League in wins (20), innings pitched (27813) and earned run average (1.65—as of 2015, a franchise record) and was third in the A.L. in strikeouts.[1] He pitched 11 shutouts (also a franchise record as of 2015) that season, winning five of those by a 1–0 score.[1] At the time, only one Cy Young Award was given in all of MLB; since 1967, separate awards have been given in the AL and the National League.[4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Chance

1 hour ago, Lou said:

For those saying Vladdy didn't play long enough here, Ryan played less than 30% of his seasons in Anaheim. 

That's less than Vladdy did. 

I think Vladdy is featured on a different Mt Rushmore with Shawn Kemp, Evander Holyfield, and Calvin Murphy.

I think it’s call Mount Muffmore.

5 hours ago, Taylor said:

Jeff DaVannon, Robb Quinlan, Benji Gil, Curtis Pride

Ken Hamlin reason hit game tying HR in 10th inn of my first Angel game I went to. Second home game in 1961 at Wrigley field. I can still see ball going over left field wall.

Bob Spout at age 19 started game in September in 1961. Only game he ever pitched in MLB. I belief he went on to medical school later.

Lou Johnson defensive replacement in 1 game for halos went on to have a sweet career with other LA team.

Andy Kosco my cousin

These are little known Angels I remember as a young kid.

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

If I'm going personal favorite Angels Mount Rushmore, here's mine. 

Chili Davis, Vladimir Guerrero, Devon White, Mike Trout

Favorites...

Bobby Grich, Torii Hunter, Jered Weaver, Troy Percival

55 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

This is a tough one. 

Trout obviously. Probably Salmon. (I'm not a huge Salmon guy like most, but he is Mr Angel.)

Vladdy. Short lived (relatively), but really changed how the team was seen, and first HOF'r.

I like the Scioscia pick. Hard to argue. Almost more than Autrey.

Finley is a great choice, too.

I also would pick Scioscia over Autry.  Autry loved the ballclub, but, God, he allowed some bad personnel moves.  I'm still mad that he gave away Rudy May for NOTHING!!!

3 hours ago, Lou said:

For those saying Vladdy didn't play long enough here, Ryan played less than 30% of his seasons in Anaheim. 

That's less than Vladdy did. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

8 seasons versus 6.  

Out of 27 vs 16.

Do the math.

21 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Finley 52.0 WAR in 14 seasons vs. Nolan Ryan's 40.0 WAR in 8 seasons.

Finley Career WAR 58.3 17 seasons vs. Nolan Ryan Career WAR 83.6 in 23 seasons.

Is there an easy way to look up the leaders by position. I don't care about career, just WAR acquired while playing for the Angels. 

Hard to say. Trout is the only sure thing. My candidates are:

Non-players: Gene Autry, Mike Scioscia. I don't see non-players are eligible, but they're worth mentioning.

Pitchers: Dean Chance, Nolan Ryan, Chuck Finley. These three are a bit above the rest of the pack, imo (e.g. Weaver).

Hitters; Jim Fregosi, Brian Downing, Bobby Grich, Tim Salmon, Vlad Guerrero. Sorry, but GA isn't quite there, imo.

OK, I'm going to tweak the system and say that either only players drafted and who started with the Angels, or played the majority of their careers with the Angels are eligible. So I'm going with:

Fregosi, Finley, Salmon, Trout