• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels’ Spanish-language broadcast at a crossroads as announcers decry treatment

41 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Ya'll going to hate this, but...

It's The Athletic.  Clown "journalism".

There's a preposterous claim right there in the first paragraph posted.  About how the Angels were supposedly dictating that if the guy did the games from home, that is had to be from his laundry room?  Uh huh.

Maybe there's a seed of truth here somewhere in the story, but the crazy partisans at The Athletic have wrapped it their typical emotional appeal, snorting-outrage-generating nonsense.

If you read the full article, it goes into more detail.  He basically had to convert the laundry room at his house into a makeshift broadcast booth:

"He also broadcast at home — watching on his personal television and pumping in his audio from an app on his iPhone. The calls occurred in a semi-soundproof room that could barely fit more than one person. He had one armchair and two monitors. And he used what appeared to be outdated equipment — some of which was at his own expense."

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Entirely absent from the conversation is any interest in looking at the Spanish broadcast from a business perspective?

Does anyone listen?  Is the market shrinking?  Does it make any financial sense  at all to increase the expenses attached to doing it?

What is gained by pumping more resources into it (other than the broadcaster making more money?

And what would be lost if they shut it down completely?

Until I have a whole lot more information, no I am not jumping on board with concluding the team is mismanaging it or not putting the right amount of resources into it.

Maybe they are screwing up.  Maybe. But if they are, then the presentation of showing they are screwing up should be more data driven, and not just trying to rely on making me feel sorry for someone because they are expected to broadcast “from their laundry room at home.”

But foolish me, this is par for the course in today’s media.

The Angels declined to provide anyone to speak on the record.  The radio station folks also couldn't provide much, if any, specific information--and the ones who did speak on the record seem utterly clueless.  Hard to be data-driven when some of the sources that could provide data can't or won't. 

"Neither the Angels nor KWKW would provide an accounting of how many games were broadcast in 2022 or the years prior; Kalmenson said he was “too busy” to provide the information. Neither the Angels nor KWKW would provide information on the broadcast’s ratings."

26 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Entirely absent from the conversation is any interest in looking at the Spanish broadcast from a business perspective?

Does anyone listen?  Is the market shrinking?  Does it make any financial sense  at all to increase the expenses attached to doing it?

What is gained by pumping more resources into it (other than the broadcaster making more money?

Until I have a whole lot more information, no I am not jumping on board with concluding the team is mismanaging it or not putting the right amount of resources into it.

Maybe they are screwing up.  Maybe. But if they are, then the presentation of showing they are screwing up should be more data driven, and not just trying to rely on making me feel sorry for someone because they are expected to broadcast “from their laundry room at home.”

I’m going to take this idea that you’re floating in the most generous way possible.  Say the Angels make *zero* dollars from their Hispanic media and fan out reach.  Let’s go further than that -  paying these guys $350/$110 for their little production it’s a negative revenue stream.  Do you think that the best way for the team capitalize on this segment of the population is to uhhh not.  In other words more or less abandon it entirely.  Because based on this they’re about 1 or 2 steps away from that approach.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

The Angels declined to provide anyone to speak on the record.  The radio station folks also couldn't provide much, if any, specific information--and the ones who did speak on the record seem utterly clueless.  Hard to be data-driven when some of the sources that could provide data can't or won't. 

"Neither the Angels nor KWKW would provide an accounting of how many games were broadcast in 2022 or the years prior; Kalmenson said he was “too busy” to provide the information. Neither the Angels nor KWKW would provide information on the broadcast’s ratings."

All fine.

All this means is we have unanswered questions and therefore I still refuse to assume it’s all because the Angels are dumb and mean.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

All fine.

All this means is we have unanswered questions and therefore I still refuse to assume it’s all because the Angels are dumb and mean.

You can refuse to assume whatever you want, but your smug assumption that the writer wasn't interested in data-driven analysis because that's just the state of the media today was moronic to begin with--although, not surprising for you, of course.

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m going to take this idea that you’re floating in the most generous way possible.  Say the Angels make *zero* dollars from their Hispanic media and fan out reach.  Do you think that best way for the team capitalize on this segment of the population is to uhhh not.  In other words more or less abandon it entirely.  Because based on this they’re about 1 or 2 steps away from that approach.  

I have no idea if the “best way to capitalize on this segment of the population” is this put more resources into that specific broadcast channel with that announcer. . . and neither do you.

I used to listen to every game I didn’t attend on the radio.  Now I don’t.  I assume I am not alone.  It sure seems possible that the future may continue to migrate to internet coverage and apps and whatever.

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

You can refuse to assume whatever you want, but your smug assumption that the writer wasn't interested in data-driven analysis because that's just the state of the media today was moronic to begin with--although, not surprising for you, of course.

OMG, asking for the information necessary to draw a fair conclusion is “smug and moronic.”

OK Buddy.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

I have no idea if the “best way to capitalize on this segment of the population” is this put more resources into that specific broadcast channel with that announcer. . . and neither do you.

I used to listen to every game I didn’t attend on the radio.  Now I don’t.  I assume I am not alone.  It sure seems possible that the future may continue to migrate to internet coverage and apps and whatever.

But they didn’t hire another guy they kept this guy in a smaller capacity.  They didn’t do anything other then that.  What are you talking about?  You’re just being contrary for its own sake.  

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

OMG, asking for the information necessary to draw a fair conclusion is “smug and moronic.”

OK Buddy.

No, that's not what I said.  You either didn't read the article and thus drew incorrect assumptions, or you DID read the article and somehow didn't understand that the writer did, in fact, attempt to get data from multiple sources.  I'm not sure which is worse--but the point remains, your initial conclusions/assumptions weren't correct.

9 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

All fine.

I agree. This is the first scandalous story to come out about the Angels in recent memory, so the best tactic is to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

No, that's not what I said.  You either didn't read the article and thus drew incorrect assumptions, or you DID read the article and somehow didn't understand that the writer did, in fact, attempt to get data from multiple sources.  I'm not sure which is worse--but the point remains, your initial conclusions/assumptions weren't correct.

If you want me to give the writer credit for attempting to get some info, sure OK.

My personal point is the writer doesn’t have the information needed to present the story the way he did (trying to make the Angels out to be the bad guys mistreating someone).

And I am not going to just go along with that narrative absent the info needed to draw that conclusion.

21 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If you want me to give the writer credit for attempting to get some info, sure OK.

My personal point is the writer doesn’t have the information needed to present the story the way he did (trying to make the Angels out to be the bad guys mistreating someone).

And I am not going to just go along with that narrative absent the info needed to draw that conclusion.

You didn't read the article, did you?

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I agree. This is the first scandalous story to come out about the Angels in recent memory, so the best tactic is to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Yeah it all started when Tori Hunter was signed in a Del Taco, where they took up dining space (instead of normal office space).  That was the early indicator that the Angels were taking advantage of the Spanish speaking community.

16 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

This article is probably showing what concessions had to be made for covid without providing the context. Gubiza was doing color from his spare room for the start of Covid  none of the broadcast teams were allowed in the stadium, let alone travel. 

Regardless, the insult of saying it was a part time job and the egregiously bad pay for an industry in the billions of revenue is inexcusable.  There is a baseline for these jobs and the shit pay was no where close to scale. He really should have quit rather than let them establish a level of abuse you would see amongst migrant labor.

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

This article is probably showing what concessions had to be made for covid without providing the context. Gubiza was doing color from his spare room for the start of Covid  none of the broadcast teams were allowed in the stadium, let alone travel. 

Regardless, the insult of saying it was a part time job and the egregiously bad pay for an industry in the billions of revenue is inexcusable.  There is a baseline for these jobs and the shit pay was no where close to scale. He really should have quit rather than let them establish a level of abuse you would see amongst migrant labor.

The article makes it clear that much of what happened occurred pre-covid.

12 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

You didn't read the article, did you?

Just to be clear, my “absent from the conversation” post is about the conversation in the thread, not what the writer wrote.

You filled me in on the writers attempt to get good data.  Cool.

But that doesn’t have much to do with people being willing to go along with a clear narrative rather than asking the right questions first.

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Just to be clear, my “absent from the conversation” post is about the conversation in the thread, not what the writer wrote.

You filled me in on the writers attempt to get good data.  Cool.

But that doesn’t have much to do with people being willing to go along with a clear narrative rather than asking the right questions first.

I love that you think you get to dictate what the "right" questions are.  Also, love that you assume that because people in this thread aren't explicitly mentioning data, business decisions, etc., it means that they don't think those are important.

Honestly, you are just insufferable and I don't know why I've bothered to re-engage with you.

Edited by jsnpritchett

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I love that you think you get to dictate what the "right" questions are.  Also, love that you assume that because people in this thread aren't explicitly mentioning data, business decisions, etc., it means that they don't think those are important.

Honestly, you are just insufferable and I don't know why I've bothered to re-engage with you.

With over 50% Latino population, not fully engaging in that market is stupid. That is why engaging with a stupid narrative never reaps any benefits. 

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

You kinda need to grow up.

This is a message board where people share their own opinion.

If you don’t like my opinions, that’s fine.

But you clearly are not capable of reading my opinions without adding all kinds of ridiculous assumptions attached to them.

Oh wait.  Let me add the disclaimer that this post is my opinion and makes no representation that it is undisputed fact.

(Phew, your delicate head exploding averted with disclaimer.)

Edited by Dtwncbad