• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Kole Calhoun - Trade Piece or LF?

Kole Calhoun currently is batting .350 .427 1.003 at SLC and, in 3+ minor league seasons, holds a lifetime .313 .399 .929 along with the speed to steal as much as 20 bases in a season.  He was determined to be so advanced as a prospect that he skipped AA altogether in 2012 and started at AAA, so his value is tangible.  He's 25 and ready to take on the next challenge.

So, the question becomes, what do we do with this value? 

To me, he is more than just OF depth - he has the makings of a fine 1 or 2 hitter.  Do take this as an opportunity to trade either Trumbo or Bourjos if you can get a legit projectable, and under salary control, top of the rotation starting pitcher?  Or do you package him with another player and keep Bourjos/Trumbo? Kole appears to have the patience and pop you look for in a top of the lineup hitter.  He has the plate disclipine that both Bourjos and Trumbo seem to lack but Trumbo has more power and Bourjos is an elite defender in a premium position with superior speed.  The advantage for both Bourjos and Trumbo, obviously, is they have done well at the MLB level while Kole only has a handfull of at-bats.

Both Bourjos and Trumbo are entering their arbitration years so the Angels are going to have to make a decision soon on whether to lock them up long-term or look to move them.  With the Angels farm barren and their salary nearing the luxury tax, they need cheap talent to give them a shot at the playoffs.  Bourjos will probably bring them the most back in return, leaving Calhoun in LF and Trout right back to CF. 

Again, not advocating either but it's an interesting question as Kole certainly stands out above the pack.

Kole Calhoun currently is batting .350 .427 1.003 at SLC and, in 3+ minor league seasons, holds a lifetime .313 .399 .929 along with the speed to steal as much as 20 bases in a season.  He was determined to be so advanced as a prospect that he skipped AA altogether in 2012 and started at AAA, so his value is tangible.  He's 25 and ready to take on the next challenge.

So, the question becomes, what do we do with this value? 

To me, he is more than just OF depth - he has the makings of a fine 1 or 2 hitter.  Do take this as an opportunity to trade either Trumbo or Bourjos if you can get a legit projectable, and under salary control, top of the rotation starting pitcher?  Or do you package him with another player and keep Bourjos/Trumbo? Kole appears to have the patience and pop you look for in a top of the lineup hitter.  He has the plate disclipine that both Bourjos and Trumbo seem to lack but Trumbo has more power and Bourjos is an elite defender in a premium position with superior speed.  The advantage for both Bourjos and Trumbo, obviously, is they have done well at the MLB level while Kole only has a handfull of at-bats.

Both Bourjos and Trumbo are entering their arbitration years so the Angels are going to have to make a decision soon on whether to lock them up long-term or look to move them.  With the Angels farm barren and their salary nearing the luxury tax, they need cheap talent to give them a shot at the playoffs.  Bourjos will probably bring them the most back in return, leaving Calhoun in LF and Trout right back to CF. 

Again, not advocating either but it's an interesting question as Kole certainly stands out above the pack.

with the amount of time Hawpe and  Schuck has played this year, why can't we keep Calhoun.  Hell injuries happen!  This year more than any show how important a deep bench is.  

We should not trade either:  Trumbo, Bourjos, or Calhoun unless we get a couple of good pitching prospects in return.

"We should not trade either:  Trumbo, Bourjos, or Calhoun unless we get a couple of good pitching prospects in return."

Well, that's the idea, if we can get solid SP prospects who do you move? 

Bourjos and Trumbo would bring back the better haul by themselves but you are leaving it up to an unknown factor in Calhoun to take over LF

Calhoun would have to packaged with someone else to bring back a similar haul but Bourjos and Trumbo have their own have their own faults and are only going to get more expensive.

Let say you can get someone who projects out to potentially be a 2-starter in the MLB...who do you give up?

I actually think Calhoun might be the more valuable trade piece.  Just because whatever team trades for him will have him for 6 years.  With both Trumbo and Bourjos, they will have to deal with arbitration.  And you also want to look at it as do you want to really trade a MLB starter, for prospects that might not pan out?  Or trade a top end prospect for another top end prospect.

Also, I think longterm, locking up both Trumbo and Bourjos might be a prudent thing for the Angels to do.  Trumbo just has so much power, and is still learning.  The power is something that just doesn't come around often.  Bourjos has potential, but also longterm can be an affordable price.  

"We should not trade either:  Trumbo, Bourjos, or Calhoun unless we get a couple of good pitching prospects in return."

Bourjos and Trumbo would bring back the better haul by themselves but you are leaving it up to an unknown factor in Calhoun to take over LF

Calhoun would have to packaged with someone else to bring back a similar haul but Bourjos and Trumbo have their own have their own faults and are only going to get more expensive.

Let say you can get someone who projects out to potentially be a 2-starter in the MLB...who do you give up?

I like Bourjos and Trumbo a lot, but I think they'll net more than Calhoun would, being proven players in the bigs (although more expensive, for sure).  As always, it comes down to who we're trading with and what they need, and what they have to offer.  Wouldn't be surprised to see one of the three gone in a few weeks.

I think the jury is still out on Bourjos, and of course, Calhoun so I'd like to see more performance before trading anyone. If Calhoun is the real deal and Bourjos continues to get hurt often, even if he's a superior talent, I'd be apter to trade him.

The only scenarios I see trading Trumbo are 1) he makes it known he won't re-sign and 2) Cron is a gimme.

I don't see the team trading Bourjos or Trumbo, because those are guys who are MLB-proven and still have high projections.  

Although Calhoun might turn out better than both, I think the Angels believe he is too much of an A's type player: smaller size, slower, less power than Peter or Mark.  

I personally think it is time to rebuild and would like the team to start thinking stock market type investing:

Sell high (Calhoun, Bourjos, Trumbo, Kendrick)

Buy low (Rebuild the farm with some top prospects 2-4 years away)

Load up!

I've been a big fan of Calhoun from early on and think he's still a bit underrated, with a chance of being a solidly above average major leaguer, even a borderline star. I see his best-case scenario being something like .290/.850 with 20 HR; the Choo comp is good, or as I said sometime ago "Baby Brian Giles."

Plus, I think it would be a bad move because his trade value isn't as high as he's worth, at least not until he actually succeeds in the majors. At 25 years old in a hitter's park his numbers at Salt Lake will be suspect. I'd rather see him become the 4th outfielder, and if he does well then they can trade Trumbo, who has higher value.

After all this I'm pretty sure the only one moved will be Downs and maybe Hanson.

Woo?

Wouldn't bet on Hanson....we just don't have any SP depth and the FA market doesn't look promising....probably will hang on to what we have, with the exception of Blanton, if an NL team wants to take on his contract.....

We trade whoever our partner wants....IF the prospects are like Corbin and Skaggs.  I know Corbin was a question mark when he was traded by Skaggs was highly regarded.

I would say the best case scenario would be a trade of Bourjos.  I love PB and has been his biggest advocate.  However, his stock can't go any higher.  Right now he was playing like an All Star batting in the 320 range.  He can't sustain that.  

But I will reiterate, none of the three should go unless the prospects in question are like Corbin and Skaggs.

I think the jury is still out on Bourjos, and of course, Calhoun so I'd like to see more performance before trading anyone. If Calhoun is the real deal and Bourjos continues to get hurt often, even if he's a superior talent, I'd be apter to trade him.

The only scenarios I see trading Trumbo are 1) he makes it known he won't re-sign and 2) Cron is a gimme.

So now the jury is out because he is injury prone?

If the jury is still out than the jury pool must be from Florida.  After all they let Casey Anthony go!

bring calhoun up as 4th outfielder. other than having a poor spring, i can't understand why this guy's being buried. dfa harris, hawpe and any other of scioscia's new boyfriends that are taking up space. shuck needs sent down too for practice catching baseballs.

bring up some minor leauge guys for a shot at it, even taking the chance that its too soon for them.

this team needs to change something because whats happening now ain't workin.