• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels sign Brett Phillips (1 year, $1.2 million), DFA Austin Warren

mmc

1 minute ago, StandOutRealty said:

Little right leg lift

Knees closer together

More weight loaded up on back leg

Arms look less loose in stance now

Slightly holding back more in swing fallow through 

Shorter path to the ball despite the bat wrap, which isn't as frowned upon as it used to be, because now we're seeing guys like Bichette succeed with it.

There's also a better hip load. He was all over the place before. Now he's using his lower half. 

This all should help, but there's still the significant problem of pitch recognition. 

28 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Shorter path to the ball despite the bat wrap, which isn't as frowned upon as it used to be, because now we're seeing guys like Bichette succeed with it.

There's also a better hip load. He was all over the place before. Now he's using his lower half. 

This all should help, but there's still the significant problem of pitch recognition. 

Brah!! why you gotta show me up?? 😂🤣

btw, sarcasm

4 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

I dunno whether Phillips is gonna certainly learn to hit, but I've gone from meh, to really liking it. 

That's the kind of guy you want in the clubhouse. I like it a lot.  

He could probably keep Trevor Bauer in line. 
(runs for cover)

57 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Lol, yeah.  I don't think we should expect any miracles.  Still, despite some impressively awful offensive numbers (wRC+ 38, over 40% K rate), he still somehow generated a positive fWAR, so that's encouraging.

Even if he can't really hit though, an elite defender with good speed should be a useful player.  

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

hoping the first bolded item will help the second bolded item.   I hope they are doing something similar with Adell.  

shorter path to the ball = more time to decide on the pitch.  

Starting to like this move more and more. I mean yeah, it's great he's reworked his swing, and his skill set is so ideal for the role imagined for him. But the REAL change he'll bring to the organization is going to happen in the dugout and clubhouse. 

The Angels tried this a couple years ago when they acquired Dexter Fowler. Unfortunately his injury took him out of the lineup, clubhouse and dugout altogether for the most part, so his presence wasn't as impactful as it could've been. 

But I think the last time they brought in a reserve for the express purpose to fill a narrowly defined on the field role and broadly defined clubhouse role as a leader, was in 2014, the last time they made the playoffs. John McDonald.

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

Starting to like this move more and more. I mean yeah, it's great he's reworked his swing, and his skill set is so ideal for the role imagined for him. But the REAL change he'll bring to the organization is going to happen in the dugout and clubhouse. 

The Angels tried this a couple years ago when they acquired Dexter Fowler. Unfortunately his injury took him out of the lineup, clubhouse and dugout altogether for the most part, so his presence wasn't as impactful as it could've been. 

But I think the last time they brought in a reserve for the express purpose to fill a narrowly defined on the field role and broadly defined clubhouse role as a leader, was in 2014, the last time they made the playoffs. John McDonald.

Good reference.  I think the problem with Fowler, though, is he ended up starting a ton of games, which wasn't really optimal given his production, prior to his injury.  I am hoping with Phillips, unless he shows he can start hitting at his 2021 level, that he is mainly just a spot starter whose main role is coming into games in the late innings to shore up the defense.

The way I see it, if you assume that our 6 infielders will be playing close to full-time hours (except Walsh, who will likely be platooned), that opens up some time for them to pick up some hours in the corner OF spots, so I think the last man on the bench may not start as often as every else (Phillips, in this case).  

All that said, he seems like a great guy, so hopefully this does help the team out.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I think the problem with Fowler, though, is he ended up starting a ton of games, which wasn't really optimal given his production, prior to his injury.  

Fowler only played 7 games for the Angels.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:55 PM, Trendon said:

He’s also working with Trent Woodward, who is the guy who helped Taylor Ward:

Taylor Ward was on MLB Network Radio this morning and although he's worked with Woodward, he said he's never worked with him one on one.  He said this in the context of talking about Phillips.  He's talked to Phillips on the phone and said he's a little jealous that Phillips got to work with Woodward one on one.

16 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Taylor Ward was on MLB Network Radio this morning and although he's worked with Woodward, he said he's never worked with him one on one.  He said this in the context of talking about Phillips.  He's talked to Phillips on the phone and said he's a little jealous that Phillips got to work with Woodward one on one.

Pay this man whatever it takes for him to quit his medical sales job and be a full time roving hitting instructor.

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Good reference.  I think the problem with Fowler, though, is he ended up starting a ton of games, which wasn't really optimal given his production, prior to his injury.  I am hoping with Phillips, unless he shows he can start hitting at his 2021 level, that he is mainly just a spot starter whose main role is coming into games in the late innings to shore up the defense.

The way I see it, if you assume that our 6 infielders will be playing close to full-time hours (except Walsh, who will likely be platooned), that opens up some time for them to pick up some hours in the corner OF spots, so I think the last man on the bench may not start as often as every else (Phillips, in this case).  

All that said, he seems like a great guy, so hopefully this does help the team out.

Are we just making up facts now? Fowler did not play a ton of games. 

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

Fowler only played 7 games for the Angels.

17 minutes ago, James said:

Are we just making up facts now? Fowler did not play a ton of games. 

Whoops, yes, it appears my memory serves me very poorly lol.  I remember all the negativity with his acquisition, and felt like he played more than he did.  I remember his injury occurring early on, but I forgot how early on.

Phillips over 900 career MLB PAs so far has averaged just under 50 BBs per 500 PAs, not bad at all.

If he could just get the BA up to .240/.250, will definitely be a big asset as 4th OFer, a guy who can fill in for someone on the IL as he can play multiple OF positions.

Edited by Angel Oracle

On 1/9/2023 at 3:16 PM, Warfarin said:

This signing is fine.  Not exciting, but the whole idea we have had is to raise the floor.  He is fantastic defensively, and I can envision him being a late inning defensive replacement often, which is how you would maximize value.  Even if he isn't hitting, which appears to often be the case, he is a positive value player because of elite defense and speed.

This will enable Moniak and Adell to start in AAA.  I like Moniak much better as a 5th OF than as a 4th OF.

Our position players are set now, I would say.

I didn't see this as a priority but I like a high energy guy. I don't think there will be many starts for him, maybe 1-2 per week. (3 maybe on weeks where they don't have a day off). And I don't think he's coming in for defense that often, with Ward / Renfroe / Trout all being good defensively. But as a pinch runner, sure. 

11 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I didn't see this as a priority but I like a high energy guy. I don't think there will be many starts for him, maybe 1-2 per week. (3 maybe on weeks where they don't have a day off). And I don't think he's coming in for defense that often, with Ward / Renfroe / Trout all being good defensively. But as a pinch runner, sure. 

Well, at least per the metrics available, I think both Ward and Renfroe grade out as a bit below average.  But again, it is hard to capture defense.  I do think though that Phillips is rather clearly superior to both, so I think he'll come in for one of them to some degree.