• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels 2023 SWOT analysis (v 1.0)

SWOT - Key component to an organizations Business Plan.  Starting point to evaluate pending organizational decisions.  So far the off season additions have been consistent with addressing the previous (July - Sept) SWOT.    Bolded areas indicate moves.

Would be interested to crowd source this to see what we can come up with.

Strengths - Starting rotation.  Infield depth.  Outfield Depth.  Front office, Starting 9 lineup, Batting ave. potential.  WAR

Weakness - Bullpen depth. Closer,  Shortstop position, Farm system.

Opportunities - Signing Ohtani, Organic player development, Committed ownership

Threats - Falling behind the "arms race".   Getting bogged down in an unproductive albatross contract. division opponent strength.  Continued Fan base apathy due to missing playoffs. Twitter mob.

During July - September period of the 2022 season the SWOT looked more like the below.

Strength - Ohtani, Rengifo development

Weakness - Overall depth, Shortstop position, 1st base position, 3rd base position, left field position, Injuries to key players, WAR, Strikeouts, effort.

Opportunity - managerial improvement, Bullpen improvement, Clubhouse harmony improvement. draft picks,

Threats - Teams possibly poaching Ohtani, potentially dumping the wrong salaries, Strong division opponents.  Fan base apathy.  Twitter mob

1 hour ago, Swordsman78 said:

Strengths - Starting rotation.  Infield depth.  Outfield Depth.  Front office, Starting 9 lineup, Batting ave. potential.  WAR

Threats - Falling behind the "arms race".   Getting bogged down in an unproductive albatross contract. division opponent strength.  Continued Fan base apathy due to missing playoffs. Twitter mob.

I’m confused. Is this your current SWOT analysis of the team?

Cause I don’t think outfield depth is a strength. I’d say it’s one of their biggest weaknesses, since there’s a giant gap between Ward/Trout/Renfroe and the depth.

4 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Good.  And I'm not exaggerating: one of the reasons I left one of my previous jobs (even though I was a minority owner of the company at the time) was that they tried to implement this kind of corporate b.s.  It's cringe-worthy.

What is cringe worthy about it?   In many cases, majority partners are concerned that business plans lack focus and are ineffective.  Bad (and costly) decisions happen all the time in small companies.  Which is why many falter, and 2nd/3rd Tier managers get forced out to cut salary.  No one like failing and having to jump to another job. 

MBA level consultants (not necessarily guys who post here) suggest  this type of analysis to help provide clarity and get to the most relevant areas to focus limited resources on.  Chances are that many front offices use something similar if not this exact exercise.

21 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

SWOT - Key component to an organizations Business Plan.  Starting point to evaluate pending organizational decisions.  So far the off season additions have been consistent with addressing the previous (July - Sept) SWOT.    Bolded areas indicate moves.

Would be interested to crowd source this to see what we can come up with.

During July - September period of the 2022 season the SWOT looked more like the below.

Strength - Ohtani, Rengifo development

Weakness - Overall depth, Shortstop position, 1st base position, 3rd base position, left field position, Injuries to key players, WAR, Strikeouts, effort.

Opportunity - managerial improvement, Bullpen improvement, Clubhouse harmony improvement. draft picks,

Threats - Teams possibly poaching Ohtani, potentially dumping the wrong salaries, Strong division opponents.  Fan base apathy.  Twitter mob

Office Space No GIF

Rengifo had a .294 OPS last year, I don't really see big "development." Is he improved? Yeah, he's now a platoon candidate instead of a bench guy.

Strengths: Two best players in the game and a third top 25 guy in the lineup. Middle of the lineup has improved. Possible to have an entire lineup with an .800 OPS. 

Weaknesses: Shortstop, Offensive output from Starting Catcher. Depth in OF. Bullpen back end.

Opportunities: Top prospects align with weakest positions. Adell could still develop with help from Driveline, Moniak too. Chris Rodriguez.

Threats: Being in the division with the cheating Astros, improving Rangers, and Annoying Mariners.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Office Space No GIF

Rengifo had a .294 OPS last year, I don't really see big "development." Is he improved? Yeah, he's now a platoon candidate instead of a bench guy.

Strengths: Two best players in the game and a third top 25 guy in the lineup. Middle of the lineup has improved. Possible to have an entire lineup with an .800 OPS. 

Weaknesses: Shortstop, Offensive output from Starting Catcher. Depth in OF. Bullpen back end.

Opportunities: Top prospects align with weakest positions. Adell could still develop with help from Driveline, Moniak too. Chris Rodriguez.

Threats: Being in the division with the cheating Astros, improving Rangers, and Annoying Mariners.

Great point Hubs about the Opportunities lining up with the weakest positions.   Also your threats are on point as well.

Overall a solid assessment.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

@Hubs, Rengifo had a 724 OPS and a 103 OPS+. I think you got lost on the Stat line and read off his OBP and it is definitely not good. But 103 OPS+ says he was above the league average, the only Infielder on the Angels that did. 

Yes I meant OBP. He is trying to be a power hitter, swinging for the fences, and I just don't see him as an everyday starter, not yet.

On 1/8/2023 at 1:45 PM, Trendon said:

I’m confused. Is this your current SWOT analysis of the team?

Cause I don’t think outfield depth is a strength. I’d say it’s one of their biggest weaknesses, since there’s a giant gap between Ward/Trout/Renfroe and the depth.

I would think that with Phillips as the #4 outfielder that this area is a strength.  Not sure why you state its one of the biggest weaknesses.

1 hour ago, Swordsman78 said:

I would think that with Phillips as the #4 outfielder that this area is a strength.  Not sure why you state its one of the biggest weaknesses.

That post was from a couple days ago, before they signed Phillips.

Now with Phillips in the fold, that changes things.