• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Thoughts on Trevor Bauer?

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight I was watching a YouTube video about Bauer’s chances of returning to MLB.

Now ignoring the fact that Bauer is a sexual assault victim and survivor (he was coerced into a sexual encounter by a woman with criminal intentions to extort him), and was then further victimized by the extortion itself, he remains unsigned.

I know many of you are either not aware of the facts and the law enough, are too influenced by the liberal media or are simply too stupid to understand reality, but I ask all of you to ponder this question:

If signing Bauer to a one-year deal put the team deep into the playoffs and made Ohtani decide to stay with the Angels (and knowing that without Bauer, they would neither make the playoffs or retain Ohtani), would you support signing Bauer?

Your wives aren’t reading this, so be honest.

34 minutes ago, cals said:

Tonight I was watching a YouTube video about Bauer’s chances of returning to MLB.

Now ignoring the fact that Bauer is a sexual assault victim and survivor (he was coerced into a sexual encounter by a woman with criminal intentions to extort him), and was then further victimized by the extortion itself, he remains unsigned.

I know many of you are either not aware of the facts and the law enough, are too influenced by the liberal media or are simply too stupid to understand reality, but I ask all of you to ponder this question:

If signing Bauer to a one-year deal put the team deep into the playoffs and made Ohtani decide to stay with the Angels (and knowing that without Bauer, they would neither make the playoffs or retain Ohtani), would you support signing Bauer?

Bauer hasn't pitched in a high level competition since June of 2021. At this point that should be a concern as high as his personality and perception. 

3 hours ago, cals said:

Honestly I worry the drama from the media and fans would end up being a distraction.  Dude is a pariah right now.  Also he seems like he's one of those guys that you'd want to punch in the throat at some point.  Jim Edmonds was like that too though.

But framed the way you have here, the signing guarantees Ohtani sticks around, its somethng that makes baseball sense -- playing field wise.  I'd say that would be the case regardless of whether they did or didn't make the postseason.

Plus they could cut bait after the season if the drama did follow the team around.

3 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Bauer hasn't pitched in a high level competition since June of 2021. At this point that should be a concern as high as his personality and perception. 

I think his greater point is that if signing him were to result in a playoff run/Ohtani resigning, would we want them to do it.  The Ohtani thing isn't something anyone would easily wave off if indeed the focus is winning.  So, I view this as a long game issue.

Nobody is signing him right now because of the reasons you are pointing to..  But if dealing with that BS for a year meant you got Ohtani for 8-10.... People would be lying to themselves if they doubt there would be a Bauer bidding war.

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Maybe intriguing, but can’t see Arte Moreno going over the threshold to sign Bauer.   Only $6 million under it

Nothing is realistic about the scenario.  Its a total "what if" scenario.  Arte wouldn't touch him. Minasian may not want to either....  But throw in the Ohfani factor and Roger Lodge will be talking about certain cars in the Angel Stadium parking lot.

Minor league contract to see if he can pitch with a MLB incentive based contract on performance. You stash him in AAA to let the public get over him being back then call him up if his performance dictates he would be an asset greater than the distraction. It gives Bauer time to get back to form without the national spotlight on every pitch so it's a win for him if his ego can handle it.

9 hours ago, cals said:

Quite a few imaginary dots we're trying to connect here but since we're talking hypotheticals, IF we knew that signing Bauer to a one-year deal would ensure that Ohtani stays, then sure why not.

But the reality is, signing Bauer doesn't ensure anything other than a bunch of drama.

Better if we find out what Ohtani really wants/needs in order to stay and then work on that.

9 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think his greater point is that if signing him were to result in a playoff run/Ohtani resigning, would we want them to do it.  The Ohtani thing isn't something anyone would easily wave off if indeed the focus is winning.  So, I view this as a long game issue.

Nobody is signing him right now because of the reasons you are pointing to..  But if dealing with that BS for a year meant you got Ohtani for 8-10.... People would be lying to themselves if they doubt there would be a Bauer bidding war.

You are correct, but it's a pointless question IMO.

"If player A would guarantee all these amazing results, would you sign him?"

I don't think player A has that type of likely results so I find it a fruitless question. 

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

You are correct, but it's a pointless question IMO.

"If player A would guarantee all these amazing results, would you sign him?"

I don't think player A has that type of likely results so I find it a fruitless question. 

It’s a hypothetical and it requires the balancing of the baggage involved with signing him versus the greatest possible benefit for the Angels (playoffs and retaining Ohtani).  

And summarily stating that Bauer wouldn’t put the Angels over the hump both ignores that this is a hypothetical and also that he’s the 2020 NL Cy Young winner, is still in his prime years and has minimal mileage on his arm for the last two years.

So frankly I find your response pointless.  As well as you as a human being.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Took this long?

I’m really not one to judge.  My kids were working on a project today and using clay.  I kept grabbing pieces of the clay and sculpting penises and giving them to my wife.  She wasn’t really amused after the 5th or so one.

For the record, I would take Bauer.  He is not going to cost much.  He probably would represent the best upside contract imaginable.  And while he is certainly weird, he was set up and was the victim of extortion.

All I would need to know is if the clubhouse would accept him. Is so, I sign him yesterday.

1 hour ago, cals said:

I’m really not one to judge.  My kids were working on a project today and using clay.  I kept grabbing pieces of the clay and sculpting penises and giving them to my wife.  She wasn’t really amused after the 5th or so one.

It's like your wife is the other AW members in the word association thread