• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Thoughts on Trevor Bauer?

3 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

Typical unproductive post from Strad.

Can't imagine what it feels like to never make a productive post on this forum, ever. 

Haha. Look at what you write and not only will you know what it feels like to be unproductive, you’ll also know what it’s like to be incredibly dumb. I hope you are enjoying the off season, your absence has been refreshing. 

Just now, Jay said:

Dodgers can't get anything for Bauer in trade?

If teams think a) the Dodgers are likely to release him and/or b) that they might get blowback if they acquire him, I'd imagine his trade value is minimal. If any team is willing to take a chance on him despite b), I still think a) would keep his trade value extremely low--especially since he'll be paid ~$23M this year, I think. If you're a team that might be interested in him, my guess is you'd just take the chance that the Dodgers will, in fact, release him. 

29 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

If teams think a) the Dodgers are likely to release him and/or b) that they might get blowback if they acquire him, I'd imagine his trade value is minimal. If any team is willing to take a chance on him despite b), I still think a) would keep his trade value extremely low--especially since he'll be paid ~$23M this year, I think. If you're a team that might be interested in him, my guess is you'd just take the chance that the Dodgers will, in fact, release him. 

If he gets DFA'd, wouldn't teams get a shot at him in reverse order of record?  If that is the case, and a good team is genuinely interested in him, they could potentially offer a few mil to the Dodgers to guarantee his services.  I don't think this happens and that he ultimately gets released, but it could be a possibility.

11 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

If he gets DFA'd, wouldn't teams get a shot at him in reverse order of record?  If that is the case, and a good team is genuinely interested in him, they could potentially offer a few mil to the Dodgers to guarantee his services.  I don't think this happens and that he ultimately gets released, but it could be a possibility.

Correct.  But I still don't think anyone will offer anything to the Dodgers for him.  I think they'd just take their chances on the waiver wire.  I could be wrong, but guess we'll find out soon enough.

45 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I am not following it that closely to know the answer, so I will ask.

Has it been determined conclusively that the Dodgers are on the hook for his 2023 salary?

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am not following it that closely to know the answer, so I will ask.

Has it been determined conclusively that the Dodgers are on the hook for his 2023 salary?

Unless they trade him and someone takes on the salary, yes.  He's contractually guaranteed $32M for '23, but with the new ruling docking his pay for the first 50 games, that takes the amount down to a little under $23M.

10 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Unless they trade him and someone takes on the salary, yes.  He's contractually guaranteed $32M for '23, but with the new ruling docking his pay for the first 50 games, that takes the amount down to a little under $23M.

It would be interesting to sit down with him face-to-face and get a good read on him directly regarding his plans/intentions going forward regarding what he views as his personal responsibility to mange himself in a way that is not a distraction or PR problem for a team.

Even if somebody views him as the actual victim of what has happened, he should still act in his own best interest, and he still would have responsibilities to personally manage the situation.

Seems like he should be committed to being as invisible and quiet as possible and be the “I just want to play hard and help this team win” guy.

He has always been such a “look at me” brash guy.  I wonder if that has changed at all.

I hope he has the capacity to understand that he doesn’t have to be frictional and brash to defend himself.  And even if his natural self is brash, it’s OK to evolve out of that without it meaning you are admitting guilt.

Bauer is a dangerous acquisition.  But if it were managed correctly (very reliant on how he decides to be now), it could also be an extremely lucrative acquisition in terms of wins and losses.

I think the Dodgers keep him, at least past today’s deadline

They’ll be paying him anyway, they’ve already endured bad PR, and they could always release him at any point.

Also, the decision deadline being the end of the business day on a Friday sets up an easy opportunity for a news dump.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I think the Dodgers keep him, at least past today’s deadline

They’ll be paying him anyway, they’ve already endured bad PR, and they could always release him at any point.

Also, the decision deadline being the end of the business day on a Friday sets up an easy opportunity for a news dump.

I think they will release or trade him.  I don't think they will keep him.  If they can't find someone to take him now, it seems unlikely anything will change between now and the start of the year.

That said, if they keep him, I won't be stunned or anything, I just think it is not as likely as the above.

15 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think they will release or trade him.  I don't think they will keep him.  If they can't find someone to take him now, it seems unlikely anything will change between now and the start of the year.

That said, if they keep him, I won't be stunned or anything, I just think it is not as likely as the above.

If they know other teams have trade interest in him, I could see them keeping him so that they don’t have to operate against a deadline.

I found it interesting that all the leaks had been that they were gonna release him. If you were gonna do that, just get it over with. Those leaks don’t help them gain any leverage in trade talks, because teams may think that they can just wait for him to be released rather than trade for him.

Edited by Trendon

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

If they know other teams have trade interest in him, I could see them keeping him so that they don’t have to operate against a deadline.

I found it interesting that all the leaks had been that they were gonna release him. If you were gonna do that, just get it over with. Those leaks don’t help them gain any leverage in trade talks, because teams may think that they can just wait for him to be released rather than trade for him.

The Dodgers historically wait to the last minute with everything.  I am guessing they are probably hoping someone, at the last minute, decides they are interested in him enough to toss a few mil at them to guarantee his services.  If you are looking for a cost efficient option to improve your team, Bauer at like, a 4-5mil "contract" would seemingly be a huge return, in exchange for dealing with whatever headaches may ensue.

They have no reason to hurry up and release him immediately.  It is the same outcome, to them, as waiting until the last second to release him.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I believe he has a limited no trade clause. 

So he can't be traded to an AL team without his approval.

We're hearing leaks about the Dodgers releasing him but we're not hearing any chatter about teams being interested in him.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

The Angels will not be offering Bauer a contract, you can all flush that thought from your minds. 

With 30 mlb teams, it is always safest to predict “the Angels are not getting this guy.”

But do you think there will be any teams interested in him pitching for them in 2023?

I thought the guy was personally a douche long before this wild episode.  But I still liked the results he produced on the mound.

I am capable of being OK with Bauer on the Angels if it unfolded the right way.  I have no idea what his attitude is or how he expects to be going forward.

Anyway, are you saying the Angels won’t be interested but other teams will, or are you predicting no teams will be interested?

Edited by Dtwncbad

It's very likely that no one is going to go near this guy for at least 2023.  The Angels are likely the lowest on the list of any team that might even remotely have interest.  No chance they introduce the nightmare of baggage that surrounds him while trying to attract new owners and facilitate what seems will be a bidding war.  

3 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

It's very likely that no one is going to go near this guy for at least 2023.  The Angels are likely the lowest on the list of any team that might even remotely have interest.  No chance they introduce the nightmare of baggage that surrounds him while trying to attract new owners and facilitate what seems will be a bidding war.  

...and while still dealing the fallout from Skaggs' death.