• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels sign Brandon Drury (2 years, $17 million), DFA Oliver Ortega

mmc

23 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

If this team is trying to build depth though, wouldn't it be counterintuitive to trade from one of our greatest weaknesses (OF quality and depth)?

I doubt they go this route, but they could still be in play for FA OF too…or could take back Garcia/Soler from Miami too.

10 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

You really have zero idea what WPA is, don't you? 

Stands for Win Probability Added. It's called the clutch stat because it measures when hits happen. 

Want to know which of those two guys was better in clutch moments? I'll save you the two seconds it would take you to look back: It's Ward. WPA: 1.03 (Ward) to -1.82 (Rengifo). In other words, Rengifo was bad in clutch situations. Judge led the league with a 7.74 WPA. Ohtani was 30th with a 2.11 WPA at the plate. Ward ranked #63, Rengifo was #122 among qualified hitters.

But sure, your eye test is cool, too. 

Peace PB...

I should know better than to throw out a half-cooked thought in this forum - my phone was at 2% and I was trying to squeeze the post in - my bad...

The point that I was trying to make wrt Rengifo was - yeah, I see his numbers... but for some reason, with him in particular - they just don't jive with what I saw last year (particularly in the 2nd half)... he was constantly in the thick of it on the basepaths, at the plate, and in the field: at meaningful times (albeit on a team WELL out of contention, so what is "meaningful" really?)...

As the season wore on, he got better... and he's only 25... and he's a capable MI...

Oddly, there appears to be at least a few clubs interested in him and what he brings to the field every day, so maybe others are seeing what I'm seeing...?

I'll admit - I had to look up RE24... and I had lasik... Maybe it's time for a touch-up...???

Merry Christmas :)...

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

One other thing to note - with both Urshela and Drury on the team, I wouldn't expect Walsh to get any more than a handful of at-bats against lefties this year.  His splits are rather poor against them, and now we have more than enough depth to have him perpetually sit against them.

If Walsh struggles overall, as in last year, he is probably going to sit against righties also....I don't think he'll get an unlimited rope to fix things, although you certainly want to give him a chance to show if the injury was the problem...

57 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I would think Ward is exactly the kind of the guy the Marlins would want for Lopez. 

And Ward is exactly the kind of guy I’m not trading for López

López’s career single-season high in fWAR is 2.8. He doesn’t move the needle that much, whereas Ward (3.8 fWAR last season) does.

14 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Could Ward bring back a SP?

You don't like Ward. We get it. But next season when he hits .297 / .377 / .525 with 35 HR you can't say you like him.

Plus, we have no OF to take his spot, and don't say Rengifo. 

He is still under club control, arbitration first year. 

We don't need a SP.

3 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

Fangraphs projections has Drury’s projected WAR at 1.6

Urshela at 1.2, Renfroe at 2.0

For a grand total of 4.8 WAR

And in 2023 these guys are set to make a combined total of 29.75 million… 

Big yikes. 

Last year the average cost of a win using fWAR was 8.3 Mil   You're trying so hard to be that guy but, reality is if they do combine for 4.8 they will have given the team 10Mil in surplus value.

3 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

Fangraphs projections has Drury’s projected WAR at 1.6

Urshela at 1.2, Renfroe at 2.0

For a grand total of 4.8 WAR

And in 2023 these guys are set to make a combined total of 29.75 million… 

Big yikes. 

I denno man.  You complain every time literally another FA signs elsewhere, then we sign one and you post stuff like this.  Legit question, why do you spend all this time following a team that makes you so miserable?

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Last year the average cost of a win using fWAR was 8.3 Mil   You're trying so hard to be that guy but, reality is if they do combine for 4.8 they will have given the team 10Mil in surplus value.

I’m really not trying to be anything. I’m tired of the same old crap. Everyone here all wants the same thing and that’s for the Angels to win. Some of us have differing opinions on the route needed to get there

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

next season when he hits .297 / .377 / .525 with 35 HR

Can I place an over/under bet on that?

Ward shocked me last year by being really good for a long enough period of time to change my opinion/outlook about him.

But let’s not view him like Manny Ramirez quite yet.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm not high on Drury, but I wanted Segura, so I suppose it's a similar batter, if Drury can continue his 2022 success. 

And maybe he does. 

And he'll be better than Velazquez anyway.

5 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I'm not high on Drury, but I wanted Segura, so I suppose it's a similar batter, if Drury can continue his 2022 success. 

And maybe he does. 

And he'll be better than Velazquez anyway.

Drury ranked behind Segura and Profar for me.  But he's a world better than Mayfield, Squid, Wade, and Duffy.  If he's turned a corner great.  If he is what he's always been, he's still an upgrade over those stiffs, just way overpriced.

What Perry has done so far this off season is what I had hoped for last. It would have kept Adell in AAA where he needed to be for one more season and eliminated the necessity to rely on a defense only SS and backups that provided negative value. 

The Angels can go to war with this bunch. Sure, a couple of relievers would be nice but I think they are now competitive and can let the minor league talent rise when it's ready.

23 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Can I place an over/under bet on that?

Ward shocked me last year by being really good for a long enough period of time to change my opinion/outlook about him.

But let’s not view him like Manny Ramirez quite yet.

Ok, so I inflated that a bit. But Angels 1861 is a moron. 

Fangraphs has him playing 141 games in the three OF spots, mostly LF, hitting .260 with a .345 OBP a .443 SLG and a .788 OPS with 28 2B and 22 HR.

Steamer is the exact same but more AB's (in the same number of games?) 29 Doubles and 23 HR. 

They have his BABIP dropping from .325 though to .301.

I think those are a bit conservative, based on what he showed. He had three really really good months last year and three bad ones. I don't think that continues. He will have good months and bad, but the numbers in the good months were much closer to his post catching stats in the minors. In 2018 he hit .349 / .446 / .531 / .977 OPS in the minors. 2019 it was .306 / .427 / .584. 

In his three good months last year he hit .346 / .430 / .632 / 1.062 OPS.

He won't stay that hot all season, but I don't think he'll slump as bad.

So maybe if he stays healthy and stays productive, maybe the .297 / .377 / .525 production is doable.

Edited by Hubs

34 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

I’m really not trying to be anything. I’m tired of the same old crap. Everyone here all wants the same thing and that’s for the Angels to win. Some of us have differing opinions on the route needed to get there

Some of you only come on here to share your misery. Fuck off with that.