• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Wayne Randazzo hired as new Angels TV play-by-play guy

jsnpritchett

13 minutes ago, James said:

Why? Its pretty normal these days if you look around the league. Multiple individuals in the booth and switching out. I am sure it wont be an even split

It's not just this....

44 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Again: really wish they'd just hire one guy and stick to it.  I see zero reason to include O'Neal in the mix here at all.  And I'm still just completely over the obsession with Vasgersian at this point.  Move on from him.

The person there’s zero reason to include is Vasgersian.

O’Neal makes sense since Randazzo will likely miss a couple days surrounding his Apple TV duties, and Vasgersian isn’t gonna fly to meet up with the Angels and do 1-2 games.

O’Neal did exactly that last season, taking non-team flights to call a game or two when necessary. Also, O’Neal would already be in town if they’re playing at home whereas Vasgersian is across the country.

I'd rather they used Seeing Eye Dog Smith instead of O'Neil when they need to cover some if Randazo's games. Let Langston man the radio side solo on those days or slide Erica Weston into the color seat when she isn't sideline reporting. 

But cut ties with O'Neil, he has no talent for the booth. 

28 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The person there’s zero reason to include is Vasgersian.

O’Neal makes sense since Randazzo will likely miss a couple days surrounding his Apple TV duties, and Vasgersian isn’t gonna fly to meet up with the Angels and do 1-2 games.

O’Neal did exactly that last season, taking non-team flights to call a game or two when necessary. Also, O’Neal would already be in town if they’re playing at home whereas Vasgersian is across the country.

My point was that O'Neal is quite possibly the worst PBP announcer I've ever heard.  I understand that, logistically, it might make sense for him to call games because he's already there--but in my opinion, that's a really shitty reason to put him on the air.  "Hey, that guy is available, even though he's terrible!" is pretty poor planning, however you look at it. 

As for Vasgersian, I've been baffled by why they brought him on at all until (if...) he's fully available.  I don't think his random drop-ins do anything for the Angels fanbase or Vasgersian himself in terms of building/expanding his brand. 

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

My point was that O'Neal is quite possibly the worst PBP announcer I've ever heard.  I understand that, logistically, it might make sense for him to call games because he's already there--but in my opinion, that's a really shitty reason to put him on the air.  "Hey, that guy is available, even though he's terrible!" is pretty poor planning, however you look at it. 

It's not a great reason, but if Randazzo is doing around 130 games, I doubt O'Neal does more than like 10-15 games.

Is it ideal? No.

Is it better than what they had last season? Yes.

O'Neal isn't a PxP guy, and he was forced to do like 75% of the games last season.

Nice interview.  Nothing earth-shattering, but I appreciated this answer:

Going off that — when you’re in the booth, how do you handle tough situations? How would you handle a controversy, a losing streak? How do you handle the ups and downs of the season?

"I try to just be honest. You try to just play it straight. Of course, you want the team you’re working with to win. Like I said, I grew up in Chicago, and my grandfather hated the Mets. He was a huge Cubs fan. A 1969 Cubs fan. The Mets were the ultimate enemy. The players too — when you’re with a team, you want them to win. There’s no question about that. Your calls will reflect that to some degree.

But I think our job is to be reporters, too, and broadcast the games. And it’s not always strawberries and champagne in there. And the Angels certainly have had their ups and downs on the field the last few seasons. You have to present it in a straight way and in an honest way, and the fans will appreciate that. I’m never going to go after anybody and personally attack a player or whatever, because they’re all trying their hardest out there and they have extremely difficult jobs in high-pressure environments. So I’m not going to sit there and smash anybody. If something is worth talking about, or if something is on the mind of the fans and needs to be addressed, I’ll address it."

15 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Nice interview.  Nothing earth-shattering, but I appreciated this answer:

Going off that — when you’re in the booth, how do you handle tough situations? How would you handle a controversy, a losing streak? How do you handle the ups and downs of the season?

"I try to just be honest. You try to just play it straight. Of course, you want the team you’re working with to win. Like I said, I grew up in Chicago, and my grandfather hated the Mets. He was a huge Cubs fan. A 1969 Cubs fan. The Mets were the ultimate enemy. The players too — when you’re with a team, you want them to win. There’s no question about that. Your calls will reflect that to some degree.

But I think our job is to be reporters, too, and broadcast the games. And it’s not always strawberries and champagne in there. And the Angels certainly have had their ups and downs on the field the last few seasons. You have to present it in a straight way and in an honest way, and the fans will appreciate that. I’m never going to go after anybody and personally attack a player or whatever, because they’re all trying their hardest out there and they have extremely difficult jobs in high-pressure environments. So I’m not going to sit there and smash anybody. If something is worth talking about, or if something is on the mind of the fans and needs to be addressed, I’ll address it."

*closely pores through the interview to find some reason to be pissed at Sam Blum*