• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angel 2023 Offense vs. other Playoff contenders

Swordsman78

Some knowledgeable baseball guys are saying that the Halos have enough good bats in the line up and should focus on getting another Starting pitcher rather than a SS.

Can someone do an analysis on the projected offense starting lineup as it stands now vs. the other playoff wild card contenders.  __

• Swordsman78 changed the title to Angel 2023 Offense vs. other Playoff contenders
4 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

Some knowledgeable baseball guys are saying that the Halos have enough good bats in the line up and should focus on getting another Starting pitcher rather than a SS.

Can someone do an analysis on the projected offense starting lineup as it stands now vs. the other playoff wild card contenders.  __

2023 FG projections...

You can go by position, Pitchers, Batters, SP, RP....   

Right now the Angels SPs rank 9th, 4th best in the AL.   
The batters are 12th, 6th best in the AL.   
The RP projected WAR ranks 30th.

If you understand how they come up with these numbers, then it makes sense.  

3 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Wrong thread.  Start your own.   Hopefully on a different forum.

Wow you're such a dick.

To answer your question though, I would say that adding another elite SP (because we have a perceived weakness there in the national media) pushes everyone down and presumably helps the pen. If they signed Senga or Rodon for instance, then Suarez is your #6 not your #5 and that means Silseth, Canning, Bush, Anderson, Barria, Rosenberg, all can end up in the pen.

But still, MINF is the weakest part of the team, including Rengifo's "breakout year" with a .294 OPS.

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

Wow you're such a dick.

To answer your question though, I would say that adding another elite SP (because we have a perceived weakness there in the national media) pushes everyone down and presumably helps the pen. If they signed Senga or Rodon for instance, then Suarez is your #6 not your #5 and that means Silseth, Canning, Bush, Anderson, Barria, Rosenberg, all can end up in the pen.

But still, MINF is the weakest part of the team, including Rengifo's "breakout year" with a .294 OPS.

Reference Rengifo, yeah, that OPS isn't anything great (and I think you meant OBP...), but didn't he make a pretty huge leap as the season went on? (Maybe I'm remembering it wrong)

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:
2023 FG projections...

I think the RP is a complete crapshoot. The only way to make that better is to sign a few more high profile relievers and obviously that's not a good idea.

That's obviously one area that needs to improve significantly from within. Though I'm not opposed to adding another reliever or 2.

30 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I think the RP is a complete crapshoot. The only way to make that better is to sign a few more high profile relievers and obviously that's not a good idea.

That's obviously one area that needs to improve significantly from within. Though I'm not opposed to adding another reliever or 2.

The whole thing is a crapshoot. The last few years they've been bullish on us and were wrong. This year they don't like us. Whatever. 

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:
2023 FG projections...

So you're saying that they shouldn't have dumped Raisel? 😉

It is worrisome that despite plugging the biggest holes (gross), the Angels still project to below the median in overall WAR. 12th in hitting, 18th in pitching...and as you point out, the RP brings that down substantially. Even just an average bullpen brings that up 3-5 slots.

If the hitters are mostly healthy, they could be even better than that...certainly in the top 10, even bordering on top 5. Strangely enough, the rotation is my least concern....it has a pretty high floor, unless it gets hit with major injuries, but even then there's some solid minor league depth. The bullpen is really swingy. It seems like an unsolvable problem, and all we can do is hope that the minor leaguers make an impact.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:
2023 FG projections...

Need another late innings guy to go with Estevez and Herget.

Can’t rely much on Tepera and Poup in the late innings.

Wise and Hezel really have their work cut out for them with Tepera and Poup.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I'm just going to add here that this is the first time in years we don't have to worry about the rotation, and that the bats are the problem.

I predict, as an Angel fan, that Rendon is comeback player of the year, Trout still has an MVP in him, Renfroe turns out to be a great trade, and that the rotation all needs tommy john. 

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:
2023 FG projections...

I understand how they come up with these numbers, but the facts show they've been awful at projecting the Angels over the last five seasons.

They've actually overrated the Angels in the past, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels make the playoffs the one time they don't project them as a Top 6 team in the AL.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

I understand how they come up with these numbers, but the facts show they've been awful at projecting the Angels over the last five seasons.

They've actually overrated the Angels in the past, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels make the playoffs the one time they don't project them as a Top 6 team in the AL.

it speaks to the extraordinary lack of depth on this team the last 5 years.  

4 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Yeah. It’s funny how the Angels depth is better than it has been the past 5 years, but they now rank lower than before.

Name one other team with four or five guys capable of putting up a .900 OPS. The problem is in the other spots we’ve got. Fletcher and Stassi also remain from opening day last year but

Rengifo, Renfroe,  Urshela, Thaiss, Soto, Moniak, O’hoppe 

Seem to be an improvement over 

Velazquez, Adell, Marsh, Duffy, Wade, Suzuki.

Offensively, Rodon and Walsh will be the X-factors, If both can produces at 70% or above than we're a top 5 offense.

Personally, for me its the BP that will determine if we're fighting in the WC or a serious playoff team. Last years seattle team had a similar offense to us (or worst) but still made it to the playoffs. 

16 hours ago, Trendon said:

This will finally be the year they get it right 

19 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I’m not sure it’s the only way. If the rotation performs at a high level and pitch a lot more innings, then the pen is used a lot less and that could help their numbers improve. Of course they should still try and sign another RP or two. 

16 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Bingo. 

My referencing understanding the numbers is aimed squarely at the pen and why it deserves to be ranked 30th.  There are all of three guys in the pen with an established level of performance as a RP consisting of more than 20 IP in the previous three seasons.

The bulk of the pen is crap shoot -- there is no way of knowing if someone like Herget is real or a fluke.  I can see them adding another guys like Tepera just to raise the floor a bit.  Someone akin to what Jose Alvarez had been up until last year.  Boring but effective.

So having said this, I really do hope Davis Daniel ends up in the pen -- Kolton Ingram and Torres too.