• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Rob Manfred: The Angels are hoping to be sold before Opening Day

mmc

7 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

I think it could be a Japanese ownership group and I think that could be a very good thing.

It could be.  I think I'd still bet on the Warrios group, though.  Their owner has attempted to buy MLB franchises before and I believe he used to live in Orange County and went to UCI.  Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but if there were an MLB franchise for him to pursue, we would seem to be the best one.

An underrated aspect of that group is that they seem to really prioritize winning.  We have no clue what the other groups will prioritize, but just based on how they have built the Warriors and how much they spent to keep it going, it seems like they'd do what it takes to build a winner.  So just based on, I think I would prefer that their group win.

10 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Do you think the Ohtani factor is why it's being fast tracked? As in, Ohtani won't consider an extension until the sale is complete and the new owner is in, and the team loses some value to buyers if they don't have the opportunity to sell Ohtani on an extension - or is that a non-factor/of low significance, in your opinion?

Kinda hoping it's the rumored Japanese group that are the favorites. If we sign Senga, I wonder if that's another indication. 

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Kinda hoping it's the rumored Japanese group that are the favorites. If we sign Senga, I wonder if that's another indication. 

I get the desire, in that it should hopefully serve as a positive with Ohtani's negotiations, but do we know much else about their ownership group?

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

I get the desire, in that it should hopefully serve as a positive with Ohtani's negotiations, but do we know much else about their ownership group?

I don't think we know anything about any bidder. 
At the end of the day I just hope the new owner spends to make this team win. Get a SS, get Senga and re-sign Ohtani.

23 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I don't think we know anything about any bidder. 
At the end of the day I just hope the new owner spends to make this team win. Get a SS, get Senga and re-sign Ohtani.

Well, if the Warriors group is indeed in play, then I think their management of that team can provide a glimpse of what they’d be like as owners of our team

10 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

But it isn't just about that. The narrative suggests, if we don't win Ohtani walks. Which, if true, it means that new ownership needs to decide if they are willing to spend not just on Ohtani but enough to make this a winning team in the short term. If not, we might as well start rebuilding immediately. If potential buyers are willing to spend, however, that might be why the budget has gone up, and it might imply there is more to come. 

10 hours ago, ukyah said:

if they don't win this season, then ohtani isn't going to be an angel the next season. joe blow at SS isn't going to cut it. it's time the angels put on their big boy pants and start acting like a marquee franchise. you got the kid ohtani from japan just looking to take a foothold in mlb. if you want to keep the legendary superstar, then start acting like the dodgers, red sox, yankees, etc. the one foot in, one foot out days of moreno are over.

You both have misread/misinterpreted what I said. I said that there are money implications for both sides, here. Getting a deal done before the season starts equates to more sale dollars for Moreno and the opportunity for new ownership to extend Ohtani before he goes into the new season. I am not talking about after the season, but over the next 3-4 months. After that, Ohtani is much more likely (if he hasn't made the decision already) to test free agency. The sooner this deal closes the better for both sides in the sale and what it means for Angels baseball, potentially, next year and beyond. Incidentally, the Angels can still pick up a SS, in trade, and a new ownership group might spend extra in that arena too (but a trade feels more likely).

While I'm sure any multi-billion dollar deal is complicated, Arte seems to generally operate on a hurried negotiation type schedule, such that it's basically a "take it or leave it" approach it seems, so I think there's probably solid room for optimism in terms of this deal being consummated more quickly than the average ownership sale.  

It is hard to gleam much from Manfred's comments, but I'd probably wager on the sale occurring before opening day.  

11 hours ago, Blarg said:

I do not trust Manfred at all in this process. I can easily see him gumming up the works in order to make sure of Ohtani choosing free agency and going to one of the marquee teams. 

Unfortunately I could see your take on Manfred being spot on.

I’m not a fan of the current commissioner.

14 hours ago, Blarg said:

I do not trust Manfred at all in this process. I can easily see him gumming up the works in order to make sure of Ohtani choosing free agency and going to one of the marquee teams. 

I think he loves that the two NY teams are competing for big time players and trying to garner market share.  The Angels have been second fiddle to the dogs and are in an enormous market.  The marquee teams will still be so without Ohtani.  I think keeping him in Anaheim actually keeps the halos more relevant which is what he should want.  Especially if the new group dumps a bunch of money around him.  

I don't totally trust Manfred, but I probably trust him to influence the choice of new owner more toward what the fans would want than someone who's gonna pinch pennies in the strangest spots with little vision for the future success (on the field) of the franchise like Arte.  

Arte was a small market sympathizer.  

What better for mlb than another big market baller who gonna max out the budget and bring additional interest in an area where I would assume that most of the fan base is just waiting for a jolt.  

I, for one, am just so bored and tired of the lack of creativity and ingenuity from this current group.  It's been wash, rinse, repeat with the lack of attention to the future and half assed off season of leaving the team unfinished while leadership steps on their dicks.  

So while I'm not a fan of the guy, I think his interests are aligned with our in this situation.  

On 12/7/2022 at 9:00 AM, Blarg said:

Doesn’t it make more sense for Manfred to be more interested helping to facilitate a change in ownership where the Angels level up to be on par with the Dodgers, Yankees and Mets?

To me, the comment about a deal closing by Opening Day indicates a buyer is identified and there is some kind of framework already agreed upon, with final tweaks necessary.

It doesn’t seem all that realistic to still be at the “we are taking bids” stage and be on track to close by Opening Day.

Is it possible?  I guess.  But why would you make that comment and risk looking stupid if you can’t get it done?  The presence of that comment would be a lot more normal if the actual buyer was identified already with some serious progress already made on price/terms.

10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

What are you guys going to do when the new ownership comes in and goes Marlins fire sale on everyone above MLB minimum? 

Literal answer: Try to look at each transaction as a fan hoping to understand what the overall plan is to win.

But the truth is that seems very unlikely.  Teams only do that when they are either poor or are in a market that can’t support a “full” payroll every year where they are timing cycles of winning and rebuilding.

I don’t see any rational reason why I should expect the next owner of the Angels to be poor or to treat this market as if it is a small market.

5 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

To me, the comment about a deal closing by Opening Day indicates a buyer is identified and there is some kind of framework already agreed upon, with final tweaks necessary.

It doesn’t seem all that realistic to still be at the “we are taking bids” stage and be on track to close by Opening Day.

Is it possible?  I guess.  But why would you make that comment and risk looking stupid if you can’t get it done?  The presence of that comment would be a lot more normal if the actual buyer was identified already with some serious progress already made on price/terms.

All he said is that some people have been approved to see some financial data. That is the kind of data you would want to see in order to decide whether to bid. That's where we are.