• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Shortstop candidates for the Halos

Swordsman78

6 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Next offseason Angels will need a LF, SS, SP plus middle order bat if Ohtani leaves. Who knows about 2B, 1B halos will have many positions to fill. This is another season of patch work to put team together to try and compete. Minor league system still very weak especially with position prospects. Until farm system is built up Angels will be in same boat. Angels have a chance to build up farm but that would take trading Ohtani. If Ohtani leaves it might be time for total rebuild.

Yeah but that's next year’s problem. Who cares, F____ those guys - LOL!

This upcoming season is all that matters.

7 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

It's be nice if Ketel Marte was an option. But it seems the dbacks are notoriously difficult to trade with pretty much since they got fleeced in the Miller deal almost a decade ago.  

Yeah, he'd be a good fit.  I agree it is unlikely he is available.

The trade market has been rather slow this offseason.  I think once Swanson signs and all the big SS names are off the market, we may see a few trades start to occur.  Perry got a lot of good work done early, but I think he has been somewhat stymied by the market of late.  It's fine, he still has another 2 months to go to make some moves.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

If money was the same and you were Swanson how would you decide. What direction team is going a winning tradition. With halo new ownership coming in nobody really knows. Swanson could not even sit down with new owners. Top players are not coming here until new owners are in place. 

That’s why you have to overpay to get the player.

7 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

It shows by over paying for players not a good idea. One mistake and halos have many screws up your team. That can lead too many losing seasons.

Good teams overpay for the right player.

Cole is overpaid on the Yankess but he's delivering.

Harper is another example.

Machado was initially labeled an overpay and not will likely opt out. 

We tend to overpay players who then dissolve into nothing. 

Alright, out of curiosity - what metrics are best to assess how good someone is defensively at a position?  It is fairly easy to use stats to assess hitting and pitching, but fielding is a bit more difficult.

Part of me somewhat wonders if the FO will roll with Fletcher at SS.  The metrics I have looked at seem to indicate he is decently above average defensively, but curious to see if there are better tools out there to assess.

9 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Alright, out of curiosity - what metrics are best to assess how good someone is defensively at a position?  It is fairly easy to use stats to assess hitting and pitching, but fielding is a bit more difficult.

Part of me somewhat wonders if the FO will roll with Fletcher at SS.  The metrics I have looked at seem to indicate he is decently above average defensively, but curious to see if there are better tools out there to assess.

I use DRS from fangraphs.

I wouldn't have paid that for Swanson.  Now, we can find out if the Giants would be interested in trading Thairo Estrada, the Cubs, Nico Hoerner, the White Sox, Tim Anderson.  There is a good possibility that the White Sox may be looking to drop their payroll number after signing Benintendi.  Cubs, same after signing Swanson.  

5 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

I wouldn't have paid that for Swanson.  Now, we can find out if the Giants would be interested in trading Thairo Estrada, the Cubs, Nico Hoerner, the White Sox, Tim Anderson.  There is a good possibility that the White Sox may be looking to drop their payroll number after signing Benintendi.  Cubs, same after signing Swanson.  

With the White Sox I see it as opposite.  They aren’t reducing payroll by moving a good player after investing in Benitendi.

7 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

I doubt Anderson is available.  The Giants will probably look to move Crawford, not Estrada.

Hoerner might be possible, but if the Cubs are looking to compete, Madrigal might be the player they are trying to move instead.

On 12/16/2022 at 12:27 PM, Hubs said:

Exactly!!!

Everyone says last year was an outlier, but his numbers are very similar in the past four years. The variation comes from his BABIP. And 2020 his numbers were almost exactly the same, with a minor drop in ISO. There will be some variation year to year thats the nature of baseball.  

I told you he was not going to halos. No big signings with team being sold. It's Vidal Brujan now

2 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

I wouldn't touch Crawford unless the Giants picked up about 90 percent of his deal.  A 35 year old SS that K's in nearly 25 percent of his AB's just has too many red flags for me. 

He K’d in 21.4% of his at bats last year and less than 20% the year before.  Our team average was 25.7%.  He would improve our number in that regard.

I understand not wanting him for various reasons, but his K% seems rather reasonable to me