• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

These are the type of moves that, for whatever reason, the Angels front office under Minasian doesn’t seem to make.

Teams will claim a player and DFA another, then claim a different player and DFA the player they had previously claimed, etc. etc.

And then if the player clears waivers, they’re outrighted to AAA and kept in the org without occupying a 40-man spot.

That’s exactly what the Twins are doing. They claimed Ortega, DFA’d Enlow, claimed Alexy, and DFA’d Ortega. If Enlow and Ortega clear, that’s two depth relievers in AAA off the 40-man.

Meanwhile, the Angels just lose Ortega.

Eppler’s front office did those transactional maneuvers.

8 minutes ago, Trendon said:

These are the type of moves that, for whatever reason, the Angels front office under Minasian doesn’t seem to make.

Teams will claim a player and DFA another, then claim a different player and DFA the player they had previously claimed, etc. etc.

And then if the player clears waivers, they’re outrighted to AAA and kept in the org without occupying a 40-man spot.

That’s exactly what the Twins are doing. They claimed Ortega, DFA’d Enlow, claimed Alexy, and DFA’d Ortega. If Enlow and Ortega clear, that’s two depth relievers in AAA off the 40-man.

Meanwhile, the Angels just lose Ortega.

Eppler’s front office did those transactional maneuvers.

Keep in mind that it is possible that perhaps Minasian feels Ortega is ultimately not worth doing that over.  Every GM has their preferences in terms of talent they look for, and Ortega was not one of his draftees/acquistions.

I am not so sure it is necessarily that Minasian is against the concept of what you are mentioned, but rather possibly that he feels it isn't worth talent keeping ultimately.

11 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Keep in mind that it is possible that perhaps Minasian feels Ortega is ultimately not worth doing that over.  Every GM has their preferences in terms of talent they look for, and Ortega was not one of his draftees/acquistions.

I am not so sure it is necessarily that Minasian is against the concept of what you are mentioned, but rather possibly that he feels it isn't worth talent keeping ultimately.

I was just using Ortega as an example to illustrate my larger point.

Which is that it seems like Eppler was more aggressive in churning through the waiver wire than Minasian has been.

Maybe that’s just because the Angels didn’t have as much org depth during the Eppler years.

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Wonder if the Twins might now want to move Farmer….

I think he grades out as a below average SS defensively.  I would be more interested to see if they are willing to discuss Lewis.

That said, I think we are going to roll with what we have.  We have multiple guys who can play SS, a top prospect in AA, and a guy who had a strong showing in a brief cameo last year likely ticketed to start in AAA.  I think we're okay.

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think he grades out as a below average SS defensively.  I would be more interested to see if they are willing to discuss Lewis.

That said, I think we are going to roll with what we have.  We have multiple guys who can play SS, a top prospect in AA, and a guy who had a strong showing in a brief cameo last year likely ticketed to start in AAA.  I think we're okay.

I guess my thought is that Farmer would be a short term solution....I'm still not convinced that Fletcher and Rengifo can hold down SS very effectively.....both are 2bman, in my mind.....we'll see.....if you trade for Farmer, you could certainly move either, probably Rengifo, who would have more value presumably....

3 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I guess my thought is that Farmer would be a short term solution....I'm still not convinced that Fletcher and Rengifo can hold down SS very effectively.....both are 2bman, in my mind.....we'll see.....if you trade for Farmer, you could certainly move either, probably Rengifo, who would have more value presumably....

It's possible, although I think the Twins might just use Farmer as a useful utility player, such that he can effectively play 2B, SS, 3B.  He can even serve as an emergency backup catcher, which is nifty.

30 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I was just using Ortega as an example to illustrate my larger point.

Which is that it seems like Eppler was more aggressive in churning through the waiver wire than Minasian has been.

Maybe that’s just because the Angels didn’t have as much org depth during the Eppler years.

I just went back and looked.

Minasian has made 10 waiver claims/trades for DFA’d players.

Eppler made 47 waiver claims/trades for DFA’d players.

Edited by Trendon

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Didn’t fit?  

Into his budget, Artie is being pretty cool under the circumstances.  I know is an outside chance but he likes his own decisions.  And he did good from an owner’s perspective.  He’s not the evil empire.  Maybe he likes Perry, he hired him.  His giving him as much of a leash as makes sense for the business.

2 minutes ago, Revad said:

Into his budget, Artie is being pretty cool under the circumstances.  I know is an outside chance but he likes his own decisions.  And he did good from an owner’s perspective.  He’s not the evil empire.  Maybe he likes Perry, he hired him.  His giving him as much of a leash as makes sense for the business.

Or he didn’t value those two pitchers.  Noah will be worse this year.