• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

38 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I think he’ll show he’s better than that. He hit to an .899 OPS at Fresno state in 2015 as a catcher. Judge hit to a 1.117 ops there in 2013. im not saying he’s judge but he’s going to be a great hitter this year. 

He hit .281 / .361 / .473 for an .833 OPS with a bunch of poor months and some really really good one.

I’ll take the over on your projection since he did better Last year. I’m  thinking .-.305, .375/.380 OBP with a .525 SLG. Borderline All Star every year. You don’t trade a guy like that while He’s cheap.

I agree you do not trade Taylor.

So like I thought might happen, Kim is potentially available in trade:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/padres-open-to-trade-offers-on-trent-grisham-ha-seong-kim.html

Per the article the Padres might consider a back-end SP, C, or COF/CINF. It is probable that we could spare the former, at least and if Minasian had other plans at C, they could move Stassi maybe (I don't care for that thought, but it is doable I suppose).

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

You’d have to first get Colorado to become a rational franchise and realize they should be rebuilding.

Those clowns want to ADD a starter and run back a 5th place team. 

exactly why this is the first time I've mentioned him all off season.  And it wasn't even a serious post.  Just like the player.  They're a freakin' hot mess of a franchise.  

Angels1961
4:12
Who will be closer for Angels next season?

Anthony Franco
Probably Carlos Estévez

David
What else will it take for the Angels to overtake enough of the AL West and at a minimum secure a wild card spot?

Anthony Franco
4:13
Division is pretty strong, especially with Texas making such a good push. On paper I don't think they're that far from Wild Card range right now though

4:14
Could use another back-end starter in the Wacha mold, maybe another middle innings type with some upside. Obviously a lot with the Angels is going to be contingent on the health of their stars in any year, but this is the best I've felt about their roster in quite some time. They've done a lot to address the lack of position player depth that hurt them the past few seasons

7 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

I think this might be a creep over the cap situation for the Angels. We've never seen it, so who knows. 

I think they get a cheap utility player with pop for 3 years. Who knows if they're interested--they'd probably prefer cheap pitching options considering Snell and Darvish's status. 

If what they are looking for is a backend SP, C, and CIF/COF .. well, as you mentioned, a Suarez/Rengifo wouldn't be a bad place to start.  Rengifo does offer 3B and corner OF flexibility to some degree.

Still - if we trade Suarez, we're in a position of having to fill his spot AND probably look into getting a 6th SP.  I think if we could have done this earlier in the offseason, and then pivoted to, say, Eovaldi to replace Suarez, then it would have been more tenable, but we are kind of out of options to fill two holes in the rotation.

I like Kim, and I think there is actually a potential trade fit to be had here, but unfortunately I think we'd be filling one hole (SS) while creating another (SP).

11 hours ago, Hubs said:

I think he’ll show he’s better than that. He hit to an .899 OPS at Fresno state in 2015 as a catcher. Judge hit to a 1.117 ops there in 2013. im not saying he’s judge but he’s going to be a great hitter this year. 

He hit .281 / .361 / .473 for an .833 OPS with a bunch of poor months and some really really good one.

I’ll take the over on your projection since he did better Last year. I’m  thinking .-.305, .375/.380 OBP with a .525 SLG. Borderline All Star every year. You don’t trade a guy like that while He’s cheap.

Bold.

11 hours ago, Trendon said:

Madrigal is a David Fletcher clone that can’t play SS.

Madrigal is a 1st round pick then conquered the minors in one season with considerably better numbers than Fletcher at every level. He also has more pop and speed than Fletch. 

Let's not discount one to make ourselves feel good about the other. 

Fletcher is the far superior defender. 

9 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Madrigal is a 1st round pick then conquered the minors in one season with considerably better numbers than Fletcher at every level. He also has more pop and speed than Fletch. 

How does Madrigal have considerable more pop when he has about a seasons worth of at bats (552) in his career with only 26 extra base hits?  

42 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I don’t think comparing their success in the minors is relevant when Madrigal has been a major leaguer for 3 seasons and Fletcher has been a major leaguer for 5 seasons.

At this point, MLB success is what matters.

Madrigal has more pop?

Fletcher has a career .082 ISO. Madrigal’s career ISO is .066.

57 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I was in the camp that Madrigal would be superior to Fletcher in every way, but it hasn't materialized yet. 

Batting average is not typically projectable save for guys who put the ball into the ground and can leg stuff out -- that's not Madrigal so far in his career -- his best STATCAST sprint speed score was in the 78th percentile (Fletcher's best was 77th), and while I'd argue he's got much better base-stealing instincts than Fletcher, that part of his game hasn't materialized at the MLB level -- I bet we see that change some with the coming changes..

Anyway, to date he's walked at a lower clip and hit for less power than Fletcher has, albeit he started his career a year younger than Fletch did.  Maybe it's the injuries, but even playing in a HR park like did in Chicago he's shown nothing close to even MLB quality power.  Madrigal's career ISO is 0.66 (Fletcher 0.82).  He's been plagued by lower body injuries -- hammy issues, groin pulls, so it's fair to point to those as a factor in the lack of pop to date but there is already growing talk he's another college metal bat guy that may never see his power develop.

FWIW, it's the lack of walks as a MLBer that's been discouraging for me.  He has always been allergic to K's but he showed really plus pitch recognition and the ability to milk walks off tough pitchers in college.  That part of his game hasn't manifested itself yet, but both power and discipline are noted "veteran" skills and he's what -- 26 this season?

He's young, he's been hurt, and as such has a limited track record so people need to give him time to show he's capable of more, but to date their careers are pretty similar.

13 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Has anyone thought about the possibility of trading for David Peterson from the Mets?

The Mets rotation is full and he seemingly has no spot. 

I wonder if Eppler would trade with his former club and what it would take?

No actual clue here, my opinion is purely speculative but you have to figure that if there is any GM in MLB that would be risk averse to trade off SP depth it would be Eppler.  His experience as the GM of the Angels was pretty nightmarish on that end and when you consider the issues they had keeping DeGrom healthy last year and the reality he has two 40 year olds at the front of his rotation now I think he might have serious reservations moving someone like Peterson.  

But, Peterson types are who they should be targeting and I'd be willing to bet Tamin's got some sort of spreadsheet with the names of those types of pitchers on it.

21 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

No actual clue here, my opinion is purely speculative but you have to figure that if there is any GM in MLB that would be risk averse to trade off SP depth it would be Eppler.  His experience as the GM of the Angels was pretty nightmarish on that end and when you consider the issues they had keeping DeGrom healthy last year and the reality he has two 40 year olds at the front of his rotation now I think he might have serious reservations moving someone like Peterson.  

But, Peterson types are who they should be targeting and I'd be willing to bet Tamin's got some sort of spreadsheet with the names of those types of pitchers on it.

@Chuckster70 I do know that at the beginning of the offseason, there was dialogue between the Angels and Detroit, and that the Angels were targeting Eduardo Rodriguez, and Jo Adell was being discussed. 

They've made many moves since then, so I don't even know if such a move is on the table anymore. But reading the other on MLBTR this morning, they mentioned both the Tigers and Adell, which I thought was a little serendipitous. 

I would be leery though. Rodriguez is overpaid, so that salary would need to come down considerably, and his k-rate had a pretty unexpected drop. 

Edited by Second Base

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

@Chuckster70 I do know that at the beginning of the offseason, there was dialogue between the Angels and Detroit, and that the Angels were targeting Eduardo Rodriguez, and Jo Adell was being discussed. 

They've made many moves since then, so I don't even know if such a move is on the table anymore. But reading the other on MLBTR this morning, they mentioned both the Tigers and Adell, which I thought was a little serendipitous. 

I would be leery though. Rodriguez is overpaid, so that salary would need to come down considerably, and his k-rate had a pretty unexpected drop. 

Yeah, check his Baseball Savant page -- his FB has been on a pretty steady decline, down almost 3 MPH from where it was in 2019 (before his injury).  He seems like he's on a Jered Weaver death spiral of sorts.  His change was a real put-away pitch when he was sitting 93+, now he's barely using it.