• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

Serious Homer vibes there. I think they'll both be better. Texas has a lot of up and coming talent, and DeGrom is the best pitcher in baseball, when healthy. And similarly, we can't just assume Rendon, Drury, Walsh and Urshela will hit. I strongly believe that will but you never know. 

I don't think I'm making a bold prediction by saying both teams will win 80-90 games. 

Today I learned that looking at stats is being a homer. Huh.

Their best players had the seasons' we'd expect, while several of our best did not. Some Angels could regress, obviously (Ohtani is an obvious pick there), but most of them seem like just players developing (Detmers and Ward especially).

I just don't see anything the Rags have done to get them up to 10+ wins. 

5 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Their best players had the seasons' we'd expect, while several of our best did not. Some Angels could regress, obviously (Ohtani is an obvious pick there), but most of them seem like just players developing (Detmers and Ward especially).

Well second base used to be a big time homer. 

22 minutes ago, Taylor said:

So are we ignoring the ABs he had in 2021 and 2022? Yes, he was injured a bunch, but he didn't exactly inspire confidence when he played.

Because no one ever played injured. Clearly he just fell of the map in 2021. 

This is just a really dumb take, especially since it's well established his hip issue began in Spring Training 2021. He had a slow start in 2022, for sure, then he injured his wrist. If he still sucks in 2022, you can say you told us so, even though it was based on nothing but superficial analysis. 

6 hours ago, Second Base said:
7 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

The Angels had to have serious injury issues last year to finish behind Texas offensively. With their depth, there's zero chance that happens again. The Angels have better pitching this year and were already 8 wins ahead of them on pitching. That isn't going to be made up by deGrom and Heaney, assuming both can even pitch close to a full season. Texas will be lucky to be a .500 team considering they couldn't even win 70 last year. They haven't improved that much. Meanwhile the Angels bolstered their depth majorly. A .500 season is their floor unless they have even worse injuries than last year. 

Please let me know which part of this is "statistics" that you looked up.

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

FWIW, as of now, Fangraphs does have the Rangers projected to be slightly better than us:

https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=ALL&teamid=1

https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=Standings

Part of that, though, is they are projecting 172 innings from deGrom and 140 innings from Heaney.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

FWIW, as of now, Fangraphs does have the Rangers projected to be slightly better than us:

Part of that, though, is they are projecting 172 innings from deGrom and 140 innings from Heaney.

They think we'll be a better offense than Texas but worse pitching. Hilarious. 

15 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

The funny thing is, I'm not predicting Texas will win more games. I'm just not convinced we need to trash the Rangers as a team in order to lift up the Angels. The Rangers are an improved team. So are the Angels. 

12 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The funny thing is, I'm not predicting Texas will win more games. I'm just not convinced we need to trash the Rangers as a team in order to lift up the Angels. The Rangers are an improved team. So are the Angels. 

I'll say it again: 82 wins is their ceiling and our floor. They didn't improve 13 wins worth. 

33 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The funny thing is, I'm not predicting Texas will win more games. 

Except you implied it here:

12 hours ago, Second Base said:

Whereas in the AL, just about anything can happen. Astros are defending champs, but Seattle, Texas and maybe even the Angels can threaten the division. The Yanks, Rays and Orioles are all good teams as well. The AL Central is always the most boring division in baseball and figures to be again followed closely by the NL Central.

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Because no one ever played injured. Clearly he just fell of the map in 2021. 

This is just a really dumb take, especially since it's well established his hip issue began in Spring Training 2021. He had a slow start in 2022, for sure, then he injured his wrist. If he still sucks in 2022, you can say you told us so, even though it was based on nothing but superficial analysis. 

I hope you're right.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I think technically the MLB offices are closed from 12/25 though 1/1, so I don't think anything can be officially done until after the holidays.

Not true, Giants made a transaction today. Perry Minasian does not take any days off. He is on the phone finalizing a deal as you are reading this.

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The year 2022 is a statistic that you looked up, but now you're telling me to look it up when I call you on it? 

Are you high?

I quoted it earlier. We were ahead of Texas substantially in pitching. The offense being behind was an aberration rooted in injury due to lack of depth. We no longer have a lack of depth. Even with deGrom - who would need to pitch like a 9 win season to get Texas' pitching ahead of ours (which FG seems to think will happen) along with a step back from our starters - Texas is simply not a Wild Card team. 

But like Strad said, your phrasing implied you think we're fourth in the division, which is just absurd, and then you tried to gaslight everyone for calling you on it.