• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

5 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Interesting.  Even though there was the rumor of the Angels pursuing Contreras, @Jeff Fletcher kinda dampened that.  I think he mentioned that we were kicking tires if they could get a good deal on him but it didn't get far along.  Plus, and this is my own speculation, one of the reasons to pursue Contreras was that he had some pretty damn good positional versatility (C, 1b, 3b, LF, RF) which would allow him to maintain his value over a longer term.  

Point being that I'm not sure they were really making some sort of hard push for a Catcher.  Granted, Perry likes his catchers.  

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Moreno also share that positional versatility?

15 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

I understand which arm they throw with. You still have three LHP's at the backend in his recommended rotation. The bottom line is Silseth is unproven. I know he had a good run for a few months at AA last year but not with the Angels. So to anoint him as a top of the rotation pitcher over Anderson, Detmers or Suarez is a stretch.

The bigger issue is thinking he will be the 6th guy over Canning or Rodriguez and thinking those two are better off in the bullpen. 

I think Canning will be the the 6th guy, not an unproven Silseth.

Ohtani/Sandoval/Anderson/Canning/Detmers/Suarez. Now you NEVER have three LHP's in a three game series.

I'm not sure his order was an actual rank.  Just an order.  Regardless of whether Canning or Rodriguez or Silseth win the job, they could split them up to where one of those three or some other guy like a stretched out Barria pitch 4th in the rotation.  My guess is after Shohei, Anderson and Sandoval.  I also think there's a decent chance Silseth is the 6th guy.  

12 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

the opportunity for it I guess based on his athleticism.  

I just looked it up. They experimented with him at 3B in the AFL, and a little in AAA this year, and in the majors the Blue Jays had him fill in at 2B, 3B and LF as a way of getting his potent bat in the lineup when Kirk was catching.

Though according to some random Jays fan on the internet, he's an average yet toolsy catcher and the other positions he's raw at, but could some day be competent at. Not exactly a glowing review.

Edited by Second Base

49 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I'm not sure his order was an actual rank.  Just an order.  Regardless of whether Canning or Rodriguez or Silseth win the job, they could split them up to where one of those three or some other guy like a stretched out Barria pitch 4th in the rotation.  My guess is after Shohei, Anderson and Sandoval.  I also think there's a decent chance Silseth is the 6th guy.  

Agreed. The point is if we end up with a six man rotation with four lefty's Nevin will want to avoid having three left's in a row. So he will most likely set it up initially to be Ohtani/L/L/R/L/L.

5 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

Agreed. The point is if we end up with a six man rotation with four lefty's Nevin will want to avoid having three left's in a row. So he will most likely set it up initially to be Ohtani/L/L/R/L/L.

Yeah.  I mean in the end, it doesn't really matter too much.  The order will get jumped up along the way as we have seen many times.  I don't think it really matters in terms of having Canning or Silseth start 4th vs 6th in terms of the first time through - It think the key thing as mentioned is that they will probably attempt to break up the quartet of lefties we have.

I still think we see some kind of SP addition, though.  I am not sure if Canning is truly healthy, and while I like Silseth, I think he probably needs more time in the minors.  Depth is the key thing Perry keeps mentioning, and I expect to see him get another option.

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

As I understand, Nate Pearson was part of a larger package the Angels were discussing with the Blue Jays. @Docwaukee your instincts were right, Adell was one of the names the Angels were floating. 

Given that we've seen them acquire Daulton Varsho for Gabriel Moreno.... I'm guessing they were discussing one of the Blue Jays catchers.

I don't know all the details, and I'm not in a position to be asking for them. But if I had to guess, I think it was probably Taylor Ward and Jo Adell for Lourdes Gurriel, Danny Jansen and Nate Pearson. 

I am glad they did not do that, then, if it was something like that.  Jansen would have been an awesome addition, but in terms of our roster, we need Ward far more than Jasen.  Gurriel would have taken Ward's spot, but he is poor defensively and has nowhere near the upside of Ward.  An OF of Trout, Renfroe, and Gurriel, with no real minor league talent on the horizon to take over, would have been a devastating blow to our OF depth.

In truth, I don't think there is a lot I would trade Ward for right now.  We have very promising minor league talent at hard to fill spots (C, SS, SP).  OF, which I think is usually easier to fill (except CF), is definitely our organizational weakness right now (in terms of minor league talent), along with corner infield.

Anyone is tradeable, but I think Ward is less tradeable than most of the rest of this team, simply due to the sheer lack of depth we have out there.

11 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Eovaldi would be an interesting add. Potentially as good or better than anyone in the rotation not named Ohtani - if Eovaldi can stay healthy. 

Eovaldi would be interesting.  It'd be a shame to give up another draft pick, as we continue to attempt to build up our farm system, but Eovaldi would at least help provide some buffering and insurance in case Ohtani leaves next year.

Right now, we have 4 SPs under control for 3 or more years - Anderson (3), Sandoval (4), Suarez (4), Detmers (5).  Canning, if he can come back from injury, has 3.  And of course, beyond that, we have Silseth and Bush, both of whom project to be starters, and so on.

If we signed Eovaldi - then we have 5 SPs with 3 or more years (assuming Eovaldi signs a 3 year deal, which seems roughly on par).  And, if Ohtani does leave - our rotation would be basically in place for next year.  Eovaldi, Sandoval, Anderson, Detmers, Suarez.  Even without Ohtani, we'd likely have a surplus of SPs available.  

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I am glad they did not do that, then, if it was something like that.  Jansen would have been an awesome addition, but in terms of our roster, we need Ward far more than Jasen.  Gurriel would have taken Ward's spot, but he is poor defensively and has nowhere near the upside of Ward.  An OF of Trout, Renfroe, and Gurriel, with no real minor league talent on the horizon to take over, would have been a devastating blow to our OF depth.

In truth, I don't think there is a lot I would trade Ward for right now.  We have very promising minor league talent at hard to fill spots (C, SS, SP).  OF, which I think is usually easier to fill (except CF), is definitely our organizational weakness right now (in terms of minor league talent), along with corner infield.

Anyone is tradeable, but I think Ward is less tradeable than most of the rest of this team, simply due to the sheer lack of depth we have out there.

The Angels corner outfielders really don't need to cover a lot of ground, not like CF at least. I wonder if they'll end up moving one of our middle infielders out there once guys like Neto and Paris are ready in 2024.

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The Angels corner outfielders really don't need to cover a lot of ground, not like CF at least. I wonder if they'll end up moving one of our middle infielders out there once guys like Neto and Paris are ready in 2024.

I could even see one transition to CF.  You’d have to think Trout will only be in center a couple more years.  Unless they see CF as a position too valuable and they sign a free agent CFer rather than take a guy like Blakely/Guzman/Arol and develop them. 

34 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It’ll still be the Mets but with some creative language. 

Probably some contingency gets worked into the contract in terms of games played, or something along those lines.  I don't think Boras will let this fall through, because if Cohen isn't comfortable with the financial risk, I doubt anyone would be.

4 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah.  I mean in the end, it doesn't really matter too much.  The order will get jumped up along the way as we have seen many times.  I don't think it really matters in terms of having Canning or Silseth start 4th vs 6th in terms of the first time through - It think the key thing as mentioned is that they will probably attempt to break up the quartet of lefties we have.

I still think we see some kind of SP addition, though.  I am not sure if Canning is truly healthy, and while I like Silseth, I think he probably needs more time in the minors.  Depth is the key thing Perry keeps mentioning, and I expect to see him get another option.

As long as the 6th is a righty, that’s fine.

Can’t see a team with five lefties and one righty doing well enough.

Eventually, they may need to trade Suarez to even out the rotation?