• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

13 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

oh it's almost guaranteed they won't go near the guy.  I can't see Minasian going after someone like him even without the recent baggage.  

What if he changed his name, and wore the Bobby valentine disguise?

"This is our new signing. Everyone welcome.... er... smedler...power....SS. Smedler Powers. Yeah, that's it."

1 minute ago, Angels 1961 said:

Perry has done a really job this off season. It gives you some hope for this year. Another BP piece and SP

Hopefully he can snag that DFA'd Yankees pitcher.  He'd be an upgrade over the options we have for middle relief.

Feel pretty sure he'll acquire a SP sometime before the start of the season.

I think our infield is set, and it seems Perry is doing a good job of finding some AAA options that can at least be serviceable if called upon (i.e., for the 4th OF spot).

12 minutes ago, mmc said:

Really makes you wonder what we could get if we shopped Ward

Agreed, but we weren't in position to do what the DBacks did.  They have a surplus of OF and could swing a trade like this.  We are thin in OF, and if we shipped Ward, we'd greatly weaken that position.  We have no OF prospects near ready.

1 hour ago, mmc said:

Really makes you wonder what we could get if we shopped Ward

Still wish we had dealt one of Ward, Suarez, Rengifo, or even Sandoval last deadline, but I imagine there weren’t any teams willing to part with 2-3 MLB-ready youngsters. 

Especially since they’ve been active enough to replace whomever was dealt via FA. 

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Our offseason would be a lot better if Perry went out and got a legit shortstop. 

This whole mix/match thing, with injuries and the shortstop position being Fletcher is going to get old quick.

Renfroe, Urshela and Drury are all nice but we still need that everyday shortstop. 

We also need another starting pitcher but the fact Perry hasn’t done anything about that or SS yet doesn’t exactly make it seem like it was ever a priority 

3 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Our offseason would be a lot better if Perry went out and got a legit shortstop. 

This whole mix/match thing, with injuries and the shortstop position being Fletcher is going to get old quick.

Renfroe, Urshela and Drury are all nice but we still need that everyday shortstop. 

We also need another starting pitcher but the fact Perry hasn’t done anything about that or SS yet doesn’t exactly make it seem like it was ever a priority 

they were never real players for any of the big 4.  The next options in FAcy were/are Iglesias and Andrus.  Two limited bat guys whose value is limited to one defensive position.  

So then the trade market was the only other option to get a SS who's strong both offensively and defensively.  Those are franchise altering trades considering what they'd have to give up.  And while there's an argument to be made that the Angels should go all in, I think Perry did a nice job of hedging his bets.  

Theoretically you've already got an Elvis Andrus in the form David Fletcher.  Would you rather have Fletcher backing up Andrus or Drury and Regifo backing up Fletcher?  

I'll take the latter.   

And on top of that, Perry and Arte have to be mindful of the fact that they're handing off the team in short order.  That's an massive component of this algorithm.