• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

8 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

The biggest problem for Bauer is that his teammates seem to hate him.  If that weren't the case, I'd take him.  Especially on the dodgers dime.  

It's funny, the only time I've ever seen Bauer described as an undesirable teammate is when the news broke that most of the Dodgers roster did not want him to return. 

Prior to that though, I can only find articles describing him as a good teammate with solid work ethic. I can't blame the dodgers players for holding that opinion though, when someone is guilty of DV/sexual assault or simply believed to be guilty, its a social suicide to take any other stance.

52 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Their payroll will take a hit regardless.  Since he is suspended for the first 50 games this year, they will be responsible for a bit over 2/3 of his salary and luxury tax hit.  By my calculations, they will be unable to reset their luxury tax status, which means their attempt to get below the limit for Ohtani will have failed.  Don't know how much that will impact them, but hey, it can only hurt them.

He’s not suspended for 50 games. The arbiter gave him credit for restricted list time in 2021.

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Somehow people are saying he’s getting docked 50 games pay, which is legit but… that’s for 2021. When he was restricted but still paid. Now he will have been suspended 

I think for luxury tax purposes they’ll Be on the hook for the 32m.

16 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Somehow people are saying he’s getting docked 50 games pay, which is legit but… that’s for 2021.

That makes more sense.

The MLBTR quote is causing the confusion, though:

In addition, the arbitrator docked Bauer’s salary for the first 50 games of the 2023 season (i.e., the period covering March 30, 2023 to May 23, 2023). 

14 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I think for luxury tax purposes they’ll Be on the hook for the 32m.

I don’t think so.  He was put on administrative leave in 2021 but paid for that time.  I think this is their way of evening it out.  I suspect the Dodgers had this information a few weeks ago, which is why they suddenly spent on both Syndergaard and Martinez.  Too coincidental that they signed both suddenly, and incidentally, right up until their luxury tax limit.

I think their luxury tax hit is 22mil, as Fangraphs currently has it.

The Dodgers have far too much financially involved to make a mistake with this.  I believe their actions paint the luxury tax story for them.

3 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

I know he is currently a pariah but there is a part of me that is thinking, f*** it let's take him at the league minimum. One issue and he's gone.

Indisputably, he'd make this team several wins better at the cost of the major league minimum.  We'd still have some money to use to get another reliever or whatever the FO wants to do.  

The baseball aspect of it makes sense.  Just, you know, all the rest of it that is a problem.

13 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Indisputably, he'd make this team several wins better at the cost of the major league minimum.  We'd still have some money to use to get another reliever or whatever the FO wants to do.  

The baseball aspect of it makes sense.  Just, you know, all the rest of it that is a problem.

I don't seem him wanting to sign with us, even if we were interested. He'll have offers, and he won't want to be in a six man rotation because it doesn't maximize his value. 

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

I don't seem him wanting to sign with us, even if we were interested. He'll have offers, and he won't want to be in a six man rotation because it doesn't maximize his value. 

I think the "maximizing value" ship for him has sailed.  Most teams will not touch him ever, even if he has an amazing season.  

But yes, I can see how a 6 man rotation may not be appealing to him.  

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

With things like this, I think generally the court of public opinion, and how the team will have to manage the PR from it, probably is the most important factor.  I am not saying whether that is right or wrong, just my perception of how it is.

Personally, I think Bauer is a creep. That said, I feel like he'll have numerous suitors and I'll be surprised if he doesn't. One year to rehab his image and he'll probably get a decent deal in 2024 if he can still pitch.