• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Oliva, Barrera…they’re just this year’s Monte Harrison and Magneuris Sierra

I mean, yes, it's rather possible, or even probable.  But all it takes is one "hit" on these kinds of flyers.  It does seem that Barrera might have more potential than Sierra to fill a role as a 4th OF.  We'll see.  I will settle for guys who can be slightly above replacement as 4th OFers.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Should start a poll here, but I am curious - assuming Bauer does get DFA'd, and is thus available to be signed for the minimum for the rest of the year - would you sign him?  I am curious where people would stand on that.

No. Regardless of everyone's opinion of him or not, the media and coverage from us signing him is not worth it to me. I am just happy that if the Dodgers do release him, I'd imagine their payroll takes a pretty big hit.

1 minute ago, rafibomb said:

No. Regardless of everyone's opinion of him or not, the media and coverage from us signing him is not worth it to me. I am just happy that if the Dodgers do release him, I'd imagine their payroll takes a pretty big hit.

Their payroll will take a hit regardless.  Since he is suspended for the first 50 games this year, they will be responsible for a bit over 2/3 of his salary and luxury tax hit.  By my calculations, they will be unable to reset their luxury tax status, which means their attempt to get below the limit for Ohtani will have failed.  Don't know how much that will impact them, but hey, it can only hurt them.

9 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Should start a poll here, but I am curious - assuming Bauer does get DFA'd, and is thus available to be signed for the minimum for the rest of the year - would you sign him?  I am curious where people would stand on that.

I would prefer to see the Angels stay away from possible PR bombshells like Bauer. Especially after the bad publicity they got from the recent Skaggs/Eric Kay trial. 

However, adding an ace pitcher for potentially league min is awfully tempting, in theory.

Also though, adding a woman beater to the clubhouse is not so good, in theory.

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Their payroll will take a hit regardless.  Since he is suspended for the first 50 games this year, they will be responsible for a bit over 2/3 of his salary and luxury tax hit.  By my calculations, they will be unable to reset their luxury tax status, which means their attempt to get below the limit for Ohtani will have failed.  Don't know how much that will impact them, but hey, it can only hurt them.

The wording is weird. He is reinstated immediately but his salary for 50 games next year will be docked. So he is suspended for 50 games but is reinstated?

Just now, beatlesrule said:

The wording is weird. He is reinstated immediately but his salary for 50 games next year will be docked. So he is suspended for 50 days but is reinstated?

The wording is very awkward, but from what I have seen others report, it appears his suspension will be the 144 games he served last year, as well as 50 games this year.  

4 minutes ago, OhtaniSan said:

I would prefer to see the Angels stay away from possible PR bombshells like Bauer. Especially after the bad publicity they got from the recent Skaggs/Eric Kay trial. 

However, adding an ace pitcher for potentially league min is awfully tempting.

Agreed.  I don't think we'd go for it either.  Maybe the Mets would though, because Cohen doesn't really care about what others think, lol.

But, for the sheer baseball side of it, adding a great pitcher at the minimum would certainly help fast track this team into contention.

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

seems they'll have to pay about 25m on him.  Putting their payroll as it relates to the lux tax almost exactly at 233.  Perhaps a shade above.  

How about this for a slick move.  Trade for him and agree to pay 5m of his salary but make the Dogs give you a prospect.  

2 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

seems they'll have to pay about 25m on him.  Putting their payroll as it relates to the lux tax almost exactly at 233.  Perhaps a shade above.  

How about this for a slick move.  Trade for him and agree to pay 5m of his salary but make the Dogs give you a prospect.  

Fangraphs is quick.  They updated their payroll page and it appears the Dodgers are literally 1.5mil underneath the penalty level.

Seems kinda coincidental that they made their recent signings and ended up just a nose below the LT level, eh?  

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Fangraphs is quick.  They updated their payroll page and it appears the Dodgers are literally 1.5mil underneath the penalty level.

Seems kinda coincidental that they made their recent signings and ended up just a nose below the LT level, eh?  

right.  what a great guess.  

Just now, Docwaukee said:

The biggest problem for Bauer is that his teammates seem to hate him.  If that weren't the case, I'd take him.  Especially on the dodgers dime.  

Yeah.  Even well before this saga, he seemed to be rather disliked by teammates and others.  That said, I am guessing some team will roll the dice and take a gamble on him.  Will be interesting to see who ultimately does it.

2 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I will start a do you want Bauer thread if the Dodgers do indeed release him(or someone else will). I am 100% for signing Bauer if that's the case.

I'm like 99.99% certain they will release him.  I cannot imagine they will keep him.  Someone will sign him.  Will be interesting to see who ultimately does.  Can basically get a 3-4 fWAR pitcher at the MLB minimum, if you are willing to put up with the ensuing circus that will follow.