• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

I get what you’re saying, and I agree that Hosmer doesn’t fit as well on a roster that adds a SS and a 4th OF.

But until they do that, if they even do that at all, Hosmer would be an upgrade. And considering that all you have to do is clear a 40-man spot to claim him and only have to pay him league minimum, I would make that move.

You could always DFA him in a few weeks or a couple months if you do end up getting a SS and 4th OF.

I understand, but I feel fairly optimistic they will ultimately add a SS.  Urshela will be the 1B/3B backup, we'll (probably?) acquire a backup C, Fletcher will be the backup middle infielder, and Moniak (or hopefully someone else) will assume the backup OF spot.

Hosmer is just someone that offers rather little upside to me.  I would rather just gamble on Walsh being better.  Walsh was hurt last year and had a poor year, but he has otherwise been a much better option than Hosmer.  

If the FO choose to NOT upgrade SS or the 4th OF, then Hosmer is fine I guess.  But I remain optimistic that they will make that upgrade.

14 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I understand, but I feel fairly optimistic they will ultimately add a SS.  Urshela will be the 1B/3B backup, we'll (probably?) acquire a backup C, Fletcher will be the backup middle infielder, and Moniak (or hopefully someone else) will assume the backup OF spot.

Hosmer is just someone that offers rather little upside to me.  I would rather just gamble on Walsh being better.  Walsh was hurt last year and had a poor year, but he has otherwise been a much better option than Hosmer.  

If the FO choose to NOT upgrade SS or the 4th OF, then Hosmer is fine I guess.  But I remain optimistic that they will make that upgrade.

Thoracic outlet has very little effect on hitting. It becomes an issue while throwing. I don’t think his hitting regression was injury related

30 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I guess that’s where our difference is.

I’m not as optimistic that they will make those upgrades. So because of that, I’d rather take the insurance policy in Hosmer, even though he has zero upside.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I said early in the off-season that I thought the Angels would trade Suarez. With the pitch clock coming, and the extremely slow pace he works at, I thought they'd look to move him. 

I kind of forgot all about that. But if they really are interested in Hill, trading Suarez makes sense. 

Another factor is that he’s out of options.

Last season, Suarez had earned a rotation spot but then struggled and was optioned to AAA. If he struggles again next season, they can’t just option him to AAA.

Although I do wonder how much other teams value him. If they don’t value him, the Angels may be better off keeping him.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

I guess that’s where our difference is.

I’m not as optimistic that they will make those upgrades. So because of that, I’d rather take the insurance policy in Hosmer, even though he has zero upside.

Ah okay, I gotcha.  Obviously neither of us are privy to what the FO is trying to do.  I agree that if they don't intend to make any additional upgrades, I'd rather take Hosmer than stay with the exact roster as is.  But I think Minasian is creative, and I think we'll see a nifty trade or two before the season is done to help improve our weaknesses.  The Renfroe trade, for example, came out of nowhere but was a rather nifty move to get a starting OF.

Just now, Second Base said:

And Hill makes a lot of sense for a 6 man rotation. He tires easily and needs to make less starts. If you limit him to 4-5 onions every six days with a nice long break mid season for the all-star game, he could be effective, if there's anything left in the tank at 43.

Hill does have a history of injuries, and I would rather not see him go to the IL with poor breath 😉 

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I said early in the off-season that I thought the Angels would trade Suarez. With the pitch clock coming, and the extremely slow pace he works at, I thought they'd look to move him. 

I kind of forgot all about that. But if they really are interested in Hill, trading Suarez makes sense. 

I like that logic, but just don't see teams trading that much for him. 

What type of SS or player do you think he would land?

8 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Ah okay, I gotcha.  Obviously neither of us are privy to what the FO is trying to do.  I agree that if they don't intend to make any additional upgrades, I'd rather take Hosmer than stay with the exact roster as is.  But I think Minasian is creative, and I think we'll see a nifty trade or two before the season is done to help improve our weaknesses.  The Renfroe trade, for example, came out of nowhere but was a rather nifty move to get a starting OF.

I won’t be upset if they pass on Hosmer and get another useful position player or two.

But I would be upset if they pass on Hosmer and don’t add another useful position player or two.

43 minutes ago, Second Base said:

And Hill makes a lot of sense for a 6 man rotation. He tires easily and needs to make less starts. If you limit him to 4-5 onions every six days with a nice long break mid season for the all-star game, he could be effective, if there's anything left in the tank at 43.

Are you saying that Hill has bad breath?

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Thoracic outlet has very little effect on hitting. It becomes an issue while throwing. I don’t think his hitting regression was injury related

You really believe that numbness, weakness, in your grip would have "very little effect" on hitting?  Maybe you're mistaking coming back from it to the actual effects of the ailment.

30 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I would argue it's at least a fair trade straight up. 

Depends on team needs. Do the Yankees need Suarez's services desperately enough to flip a middle infielder with upside? As far as I can tell Suarez would likely be 6th or 7th in their starter depth chart so he's likely relegated to bullpen duty. 

Torres is just entering his prime and while the superstar potential has likely rubbed off by now, the finished product still figures to be someone that hits .260 or .270 with 25-ish bombs each year. Pretty solid. 

Suarez could definitely be a major piece in such a deal, because you can never have too much pitching. But I think the Yankees would require a considerable prospect portion to pull the trigger. Maybe throwing Jordyn Adams and Sam Bachman in. 

In terms of potential, It's an overpay on the Angels part, but there's still a chance Gleyber at age 26-32 explodes as he did in 2019, though admittedly, the ball was flying that year and 38 HR's in Yankee stadium with a juiced ball is far less impressive. But in reality, that package may just be a back end starter, 4th outfielder and reliever. 

Edited by Second Base

48 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You really believe that numbness, weakness, in your grip would have "very little effect" on hitting?  Maybe you're mistaking coming back from it to the actual effects of the ailment.

From someone who has it…yes. It has very little effect while hitting. It flares up after extended periods of throwing. The feeling doesn’t linger. The blood flow returns. The biggest issue with it is the dead arm and It makes you feel like your arm weighs a ton. After about 5 minutes it’s just tingling in your shoulder and your fingers. The effect isn’t enough to prevent you from gripping a bat. 

I have it bad enough to be scheduled for surgery for it. It was delayed by the birth of my first kid. 2 months of PT and you’re good to go.