• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

12 hours ago, Second Base said:

I thought he was entertaining. 

I do too. 

I get why he annoys people (repeats himself), but he seems to poke fun at himself when others pop him and his running/random efforts to get TG to unblock him are humorous to me.  Mostly I have a hard time disliking anyone that can be called out and doesn't act like a little feline or pretend they're being attacked unfairly.

All that said, self bans crack me up.  @Angel Oracle was the gold standard self banner.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I do too. 

I get why he annoys people (repeats himself), but he seems to poke fun at himself when others pop him and his running/random efforts to get TG to unblock him are humorous to me.  Mostly I have a hard time disliking anyone that can be called out and doesn't act like a little feline or pretend their being attack unfairly.

All that said, self bans crack me up.  @Angel Oracle was the gold standard self banner.

Yeah, I felt similarly.  He seemed to not take himself too seriously and joked around.  

I thought it would have been hilarious if, on the first day on his self-ban, we traded for Vidal Brujan, lol.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I do too. 

I get why he annoys people (repeats himself), but he seems to poke fun at himself when others pop him and his running/random efforts to get TG to unblock him are humorous to me.  Mostly I have a hard time disliking anyone that can be called out and doesn't act like a little feline or pretend their being attack unfairly.

Some good baseball insight as well, if you look past the troll-like tone.  I recall he called for Ohtani to play outfield and we gave him a hard time, then Ohtani ends up playing outfield.

36 minutes ago, Revad said:

Some good baseball insight as well, if you look past the troll-like tone.  I recall he called for Ohtani to play outfield and we gave him a hard time, then Ohtani ends up playing outfield.

I don’t remember him at all prior to this season. He’s harmless, just repetitive.  He’s the love child of @Troll Daddy and @Angel Oracle  

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/how-al-teams-have-addressed-their-weakest-positions-of-2022.html

Angels (First Base, -1.0 bWAR😞 The top-heavy Angels are known for superstars Shohei Ohtani and Mike Trout, but the club also had sub-replacement production at a whopping five positions.  First base was the lowest of the bunch, as Jared Walsh struggled through a rough season that was cut short by thoracic outlet syndrome surgery.  While Walsh is expected to be ready for Spring Training, the Halos picked up some depth and insurance by acquiring Gio Urshela from the Twins and signing Brandon Drury, either of whom could see action at first base when not playing elsewhere around the diamond.

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/how-al-teams-have-addressed-their-weakest-positions-of-2022.html

Angels (First Base, -1.0 bWAR😞 The top-heavy Angels are known for superstars Shohei Ohtani and Mike Trout, but the club also had sub-replacement production at a whopping five positions.  First base was the lowest of the bunch, as Jared Walsh struggled through a rough season that was cut short by thoracic outlet syndrome surgery.  While Walsh is expected to be ready for Spring Training, the Halos picked up some depth and insurance by acquiring Gio Urshela from the Twins and signing Brandon Drury, either of whom could see action at first base when not playing elsewhere around the diamond.

No way Ushela, even if he’s well suited for 1b, matches Walsh’s defense.  Drury will play 2nd and some outfield but not much 1b.

43 minutes ago, Revad said:

No way Ushela, even if he’s well suited for 1b, matches Walsh’s defense.  Drury will play 2nd and some outfield but not much 1b.

Walsh, if healthy and producing, will play most days against righties. He'll probably sit against lefties. Who they replace him with depends on how Fletcher, Rengifo, Urshela, and Drury are all playing. In theory, Rengifo and Drury will both play somewhere against lefties, but if Fletcher is hitting well, it may be Fletcher at short, Rengifo at second, and Drury at first. 

Really, with six guys and four spots, if everyone is healthy (lol), it'll come down to who is earning their plate appearances. 

On 12/31/2022 at 7:57 AM, wopphil said:

IMO, the most encouraging indicator for Ward is that after a blazing start and then horrific slump, he finished with a near 1.000 OPS over his last 36 games. I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect him to slash .280/.340/.460/.800, which will make him a very valuable player. 

This is why I’m so positive on him. Here’s the thing though, the numbers you posted would be a decline from his full season numbers last season when he couldn’t hit his way out of a paper bag in June and July, because of a shoulder injury he couldn’t rest. Not when they were playing Gosselin, Mayfield, Lagares, and Sierra.

He hit .281 / .360 / .473 last year combined. While he will slump, he will not slump as badly. It is consistency and health for Ward at this point. Cuz guys don’t hit to 1.000+ OPS months several times in a year without being a really good hitter.

13 minutes ago, Hubs said:

This is why I’m so positive on him. Here’s the thing though, the numbers you posted would be a decline from his full season numbers last season when he couldn’t hit his way out of a paper bag in June and July, because of a shoulder injury he couldn’t rest. Not when they were playing Gosselin, Mayfield, Lagares, and Sierra.

He hit .281 / .360 / .473 last year combined. While he will slump, he will not slump as badly. It is consistency and health for Ward at this point. Cuz guys don’t hit to 1.000+ OPS months several times in a year without being a really good hitter.

What was rather remarkable too is he posted numbers like that in a year in which offense was down overall.  It is a league of adjustments, so I anticipate pitchers will make adjustments to him, but I think he should be counted on to be a solid contributor moving forward.