• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

11 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Have you looked at their potential AAA roster for position players?

Cabbage and Aguilar could be a 1B option.

Unroe is probably a middle infield option along with Soto, Velazquez, and Stefanic.

Cabbage, Whitefield, and Aguilar in the OF with Adell, Moniak, Martinez, and Oliva.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Cabbage and Aguilar could be a 1B option.

Unroe is probably a middle infield option along with Soto, Velazquez, and Stefanic.

Cabbage, Whitefield, and Aguilar in the OF with Adell, Moniak, Martinez, and Oliva.

I wouldn't count on Cabbage being ready for the foreseeable future.  His K rate in AA suggests he'd get destroyed on the MLB level currently.

Aguilar is admittedly interesting to me.  I think he has some potential as a reserve corner OF maybe.  Whitefield could have some value in that regard as well.  I think both are probably closer to being considered options than Cabbage, but I don't think either is ideal.

I think the closest of the group you have mentioned (asides from Moniak) might be Oliva.  If you break down his AAA numbers last year, he had a really solid last 2 months of the year, posting an OPS over 900 in each month.  Could just be an aberration, or maybe he discovered something.  

As is the case with many of these situations, a wide net has been cast and hopefully one can emerge.  I do think, though, it'd be ideal if we at least found a solid 4th OF in the interim, to give these guys time to potentially develop, as opposed to having to rely on one of them from the start.

20 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

We’d only be paying the ML minimum, Reds on the hook for 16 million plus the buyout of the option year.

Right, he'd only earn the minimum, but he has been rather terrible the last two years.  Given this team already has 6 infielders, I don't see him coming here either.  Guys like Jake Lamb, who we can sign to minor league deals, are much more likely.

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I wouldn't count on Cabbage being ready for the foreseeable future.  His K rate in AA suggests he'd get destroyed on the MLB level currently.

To be clear, I’m not counting on him, Aguilar, Whitefield, or Oliva at the MLB level at all.

I was just listing out how the AAA roster is gonna be filled out. Over half those guys shouldn’t sniff the MLB roster.

Barrera in particular could be an interesting signing in terms of minor league OF depth.  Per Fangraphs from this year:

Barrera’s best traits are a consistent ability to make contact from the left side coupled with double-plus speed. He doesn’t show much in terms of power, but he’s aggressive on the basepaths, looking to turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples when defensive plays develop slowly. An aggressive approach has been a long-standing issue for Barrera, but he had a career-high walk rate at Triple-A last year, which greatly boosts his overall outlook. He is a comfortable defender at any outfield position and has a plus arm, and scouts love the energy he brings to both sides of the ball. At 26, there isn’t a ton of development left in Berrera; his ceiling might be that of a fourth outfielder, but he’s also arguably already there.

11 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Barrera in particular could be an interesting signing in terms of minor league OF depth.  Per Fangraphs from this year:

Probably a competition between him and Moniak as the 4th OFer for now.  Would still like to add a more legit guy but this is a reasonable move as he's a legit above replacement option (or should be) if one of the OFers gets hurt.  

22 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Probably a competition between him and Moniak as the 4th OFer for now.  Would still like to add a more legit guy but this is a reasonable move as he's a legit above replacement option (or should be) if one of the OFers gets hurt.  

Agreed.  Bonus that he's a LHH and can play a solid CF.  I would say he's got a decent shot at being our 4th OF, if Moniak doesn't shown growth.  Notably though, he is out of options, so if he does get added to the roster, he will have to be DFA'd if he isn't cutting it as a 4th OF.

But all that said, I think he's added some decent depth between Barrera and Olvera.  Better than the options we had, outside of Moniak, in terms of filling a 4th OF role.

Seeing these moves does make me think it's unlikely we'll sign someone to a MLB contract to be a 4th OF.  Will probably have it be a spring training competition between Moniak and the aforementioned players (plus anyone else we sign to a minor league deal).

Here's a link to another scouting report for Barrera:

https://www.prospectslive.com/scoutingreports/luis-barrera

Field: Gets solid reads and has plus range in CF, primarily because of his foot speed. Willing to lay out for balls. Shows good enough actions to stick in CF, but the whole profile also plays in a corner outfield spot. Grade: 55

Arm: Plus arm with significant carry from the grass. Throws were on target and on a rope in looks. Profiles in any outfield position. Grade: 60

Run: Timed 4.03 down the line from the left side. Hustles out of the box and can hit an extra gear. Has plus-plus speed, but the tool plays down on the basepaths. Aggressive in trying to take an extra base on balls to the grass, which both aids in his doubles and triples and hinders his putouts. Has the speed to be a threat on the basepaths, but his initial burst lags behind his top-end speed, and he gets caught too often when trying to steal. Grade: 70

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Aguilar is admittedly interesting to me.  I think he has some potential as a reserve corner OF maybe.  Whitefield could have some value in that regard as well.  I think both are probably closer to being considered options than Cabbage, but I don't think either is ideal.

I think the closest of the group you have mentioned (asides from Moniak) might be Oliva.  If you break down his AAA numbers last year, he had a really solid last 2 months of the year, posting an OPS over 900 in each month.  Could just be an aberration, or maybe he discovered something.  

As is the case with many of these situations, a wide net has been cast and hopefully one can emerge.  I do think, though, it'd be ideal if we at least found a solid 4th OF in the interim, to give these guys time to potentially develop, as opposed to having to rely on one of them from the start.

Oliva went to my high school. Only about 15 years after I did. LOL.

Edited by Hubs