• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

26 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

Really? How concerned are they about Walsh?

Have you looked at their potential AAA roster for position players?

C - O'hoppe maybe if he doesn't make the big club.  Then Wallach and Anthon Mulrine
1b - Lamb/Maitan and that's a maybe for Maitan.  He probably goes to AAA because there's literally no one else right now
2b - Stefanic
3b - Maitan/Lamb
SS - Soto/Velazquez
LF - Adell
CF - Moniak
RF - Jared Oliva?

Others - Martinez, Aguilar, Whitefield? Unroe? Maybe Jeremiah Jackson. 

That's about it.   They could sign 3 or 4 more Jake Lamb types at various positions and it still might not be enough to really help.  In fact, they should probably try.  

Just about every story about a big spending team - Dodgers, Yankees, Giants, Mets specifically - references going after Ohtani next year. With legitimate rationales and justification within each franchise. All other than the Giants minus Correa, are perennial contenders and big market, high profile teams. 

This season is going to be a bloody circus, day after day. Ohtani will be the sub text regardless of how the Angels do. The media already have the narrative set up in big, bold letters. Automatic clicks and reads that will intensify game by game.  

Even if the Angels produce a playoff team it won't discourage bidders. And probably will drive up Ohtani's perceived worth. If they suck despite a good season from him then resigning him looks nearly impossible. 

Stranger things have happened. Trout was nearly in a similar position a few years ago. But the dynamics are very different. We have to remember that Ohtani already went through this free agent type process and selected the Angels for his own reasons. But now that he"s had half a decade with them, it's anyone's guess how this will play out. 

And this really should impact the ownership situation. A vast difference on the field, monetarily  and image wise with or without Ohtani. That  could be a major factor for a prospective new owner. Unless Ohtani  signs an extension before the sale  a purchase comes with a major risk. 

3 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

C - O'hoppe maybe if he doesn't make the big club.  Then Wallach and Anthon Mulrine
1b - Lamb/Maitan and that's a maybe for Maitan.  He probably goes to AAA because there's literally no one else right now
2b - Stefanic
3b - Maitan/Lamb
SS - Soto/Velazquez
LF - Adell
CF - Moniak
RF - Jared Oliva?

That's about it.   They could sign 3 or 4 more Jake Lamb types at various positions and it still might not be enough to really help.  In fact, they should probably try.  

The story of this Halos off-season:

No more being caught short, depth wise, I love it.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

The story of this Halos off-season:

No more being caught short, depth wise, I love it.

I mean we're still caught short, just at the minor league level. We're in a far better position than we were last year, but if shit hits the fan (and that's always a possibility for this team), then doc laid out the problem. 

I hope to see a couple more Jake Lambs. 

6 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

Really? How concerned are they about Walsh?

6 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

2b - Stefanic
3b - Maitan/Lamb
SS - Soto/Velazquez
LF - Adell
CF - Moniak
RF - Jared Oliva?

Yeah, I don't really see the Lamb move as being overly concerned about Walsh, but rather, just trying to find some decent depth options.  Our MLB squad should be good in terms of 1B coverage, but the lineup is awfully right-handed.  It has been awhile since Lamb has been good, so I'm doubtful he can do much, but as Doc said, if the alternative is having to call up Maitan, well .. ouch.  Still, if Lamb gets a significant amount of at-bats with us, that is not a good outcome.  Hopefully he is just mainly a "break the glass in case of an emergency" kind of call up.

The AAA squad, as Doc has outlined, does look pretty bad.  Obviously there is some potential there, but really, this is why we are loading up on depth on the MLB club - because we ideally want to avoid recalling most of these guys, outside of our C, SS options and probably Moniak.

Quite honestly, our minor league system needs an infusion of offensive talent.  I think last year was a nice start, but we definitely need more.

20 minutes ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

I would never expect a team to openly acknowledge they are shopping a player.  So even if they were aggressively shopping him (which I don't think is happening), I am sure they would publicly state otherwise.

Hendriks would put us over the LT limit, but if the team is not concerned with that, he'd be a great addition.  I like that he is effectively on a one year deal, with the ability to pick up his option with a strong season.

36 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I would never expect a team to openly acknowledge they are shopping a player.  So even if they were aggressively shopping him (which I don't think is happening), I am sure they would publicly state otherwise.

Hendriks would put us over the LT limit, but if the team is not concerned with that, he'd be a great addition.  I like that he is effectively on a one year deal, with the ability to pick up his option with a strong season.

But it isn’t a one year deal.  His option for 2024 is for $15 million with a $15 million buyout. Granted the $15 million buyout is over 10 years or so. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

But it isn’t a one year deal.  His option for 2024 is for $15 million with a $15 million buyout. Granted the $15 million buyout is over 10 years or so. 

Pretty sure the option becomes guaranteed if he's traded.  So it's essentially a two-year deal (with no deferrals) for any team that trades for him.

27 minutes ago, Stradling said:

21 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Pretty sure the option becomes guaranteed if he's traded.  So it's essentially a two-year deal (with no deferrals) for any team that trades for him.

Ah yes, I forgot about that, thanks for pointing that out.  Sportrac is a good source for tracking those details:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/liam-hendriks-8537/

Would cost 18mil against the LT this year, 15mil next year, option vests upon trading.