• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ Astros (9/11/22 11am Pacific): Davidson on the mound, no Trout, no Fletcher

jsnpritchett

Trout is as hot as he ever has been. I hope the day off doesn't break his momentum. 

Hindsight distorts everything, but I wonder what his numbers would be in a full healthy season? Possibly up around fifty homers? It would have been interesting seeing the vote splitting for MVP between he and Ohtani versus Judge.

Mind you the mainstream narrative now seemingly taking precedence is about 'valuable' contributing to team success. In other words, not the best player, but valuable to their team. But by that they imply taking their team to the playoffs. Even though a player can be most valuable to their team even if it's lousy. So I think the semantics are misconstrued. And still to this day confuse voters. 

1 hour ago, Duren, Duren said:

Trout is as hot as he ever has been. I hope the day off doesn't break his momentum. 

Hindsight distorts everything, but I wonder what his numbers would be in a full healthy season? Possibly up around fifty homers? It would have been interesting seeing the vote splitting for MVP between he and Ohtani versus Judge.

From the time he's been on the field, I think he would have absolutely been challenging Judge. Judge is amazing this year and maybe still has Trout beat. But it's hard not to imagine Trout not having 50 this year, or just under it.

Mind you the mainstream narrative now seemingly taking precedence is about 'valuable' contributing to team success. In other words, not the best player, but valuable to their team. But by that they imply taking their team to the playoffs. Even though a player can be most valuable to their team even if it's lousy. So I think the semantics are misconstrued. And still to this day confuse voters. 

That's been the traditional view of MVP ever since the award started: best player on a playoff team. In the last couple decades, in the "statnerd era," the conversation about best player vs. best player on a good team has risen. I think Miggy vs. Trout in 2012-13 really brought it forward, and of course Bonds was so much better than everyone else in 2001-04 that it didn't matter if the Giants were good or not (and they were, so it was a moot point).

As for Trout and what sort of season he would be having, it is so hard to say because of the weird nature if his year - his terrible slumps, but also crazy hot streaks. But yeah, he's on a 50 HR pace (not sure the exact pace, but it is something like that). His .349 ISO is a lot closer to Judge's .375 than it is to number three, Yordan Alvarez at .293.

His ISO is the second highest of his career, just a hair below 2019's .353, when he hit 45 in 134 games.

EDIT: He's missed about 40 games. If you add 30 at the same pace, he'd have about 45 HR now.

Edited by Angelsjunky

MVP narrative will always change when a Yankee or Red Sox player is in the mix.