• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The future of Angel Stadium

mmc

With the news of the impending sale, I can't help but think this is the beginning of the end for Angel Stadium.  While I have nothing against it, and have never ran into any issues in all of the 100+ games I've been to, the stadium is objectively underwhelming in comparison to newer parks.  It is both too old to where it makes much sense to dump a bunch of money into renovations, and it is too new to have the same historic value of a Wrigley or Fenway.  There is nothing notable in the surrounding area to where it makes sense to keep the stadium in it's current location, the city of Anaheim already had a butchered negotiation with the team that may make them hesitant to work with them on a future land deal, and there's no iconic features of the stadium really.  Maybe the big A, but that can be moved.  Do you think Angel Stadium will remain the team's long term home, or do you see new ownership coming in with a replacement plan?

One question is how long would it take to tear it down and build a new one.  Obviously in SoCal you can do construction year round so they can be productive all winter.  But it’s so central on that plot of land that if they tried building adjacent while finishing a last season in the existing stadium it seems like it be oddly placed (if that makes sense).  

I also think if Long Beach is genuine about building an oceanfront stadium and they pay for part of it, you have to explore that option (even if it makes getting in and out of games a headache, it’s a headache at lots of ballparks for suburbanites to get “into town” for games).

But ultimately I think the current location is where it stays and with a new stadium.  And I agree with your assessment @mmc.  It’s fine but there is nothing special about it that requires any thought into preserving  it.

There are lots of problems.

You perfectly stated it's old, but not historical.  

Why is there green everywhere? Makes no sense. 

Surrounding area is nonexistent despite the ducks right there.  

Food neither So Cal culture infused or even good.  

I've been to a lot of stadiums and I'd put Angels at the top of the bottom teir. 

I guess we watch and wait how it unfolds.  I don't see the new owner just continuing in this stadium as is. 

3 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

I've heard the actual "Big A" is so structurally unsound that they actually can't move it again without permanently damaging it beyond repair.

Tired take #104395862:  "Move the Big A back to the stadium".  

They looked into it during the last major renovation.

The Real Estate is more valuable to Disney, among others, and while we can hope for a new stadium on the corner being built during the season, I doubt it comes to fruition, without 1 of 2 things.

1) a big money owner, like Ballmer.

2) a partnership with Disney to develop the land.

4 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Why is there green everywhere? Makes no sense. 

I think the green looks nice. Would you rather have all the seats red? Ugh. 

Surrounding area is nonexistent despite the ducks right there.  

Makes the parking lot a whole hell of a lot easier to get in out of than say, parks in the center of the city. 

Food neither So Cal culture infused or even good.  

Food inside the park? That can easily be changed. There's a bunch of places close to the park that we used to stop by beforehand then walk to the stadium.

4 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Lol. No.  They currently own the land and the stadium though.   

Right, but they want out of the stadium business, and want the property developed. 

I'd bet they're willing to negotiate a lot of things and sell the land as quickly as possible, if a new owner, like Kroenke or Ballmer came in.

25 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

I think the green looks nice. Would you rather have all the seats red? Ugh. 

Makes the parking lot a whole hell of a lot easier to get in out of than say, parks in the center of the city. 

Food inside the park? That can easily be changed. There's a bunch of places close to the park that we used to stop by beforehand then walk to the stadium.

Del Taco. I believe Perry has an office there (it’s also the handicapped stall.)

1 hour ago, HanfordGuy said:

Del Taco. I believe Perry has an office there (it’s also the handicapped stall.)

After years of using that one (it's the roomiest) I finally got caught last Christmas. I stopped by Walmart to grab like wrapping paper or something, and had to use the crapper.

Then some actual handicapped dude tried to get in, and started yanking on the door and yelling at me. And it was poorly constructed, so he could see me through the gap between the door and the stall.

And there was a line of people waiting.

So it was a big scene, and when I exited everyone was looking at me like I was the devil himself.

I briefly considered faking a limp to play it off, but felt dirty about it. So I just exited and had to ignore the guy STILL yelling at me while I washed my hands.

So anyway, this year I'm back to old school, and wrapping gifts in Albertsons bags from my pantry.

32 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

After years of using that one (it's the roomiest) I finally got caught last Christmas. I stopped by Walmart to grab like wrapping paper or something, and had to use the crapper.

Then some actual handicapped dude tried to get in, and started yanking on the door and yelling at me. And it was poorly constructed, so he could see me through the gap between the door and the stall.

And there was a line of people waiting.

So it was a big scene, and when I exited everyone was looking at me like I was the devil himself.

I briefly considered faking a limp to play it off, but felt dirty about it. So I just exited and had to ignore the guy STILL yelling at me while I washed my hands.

So anyway, this year I'm back to old school, and wrapping gifts in Albertsons bags from my pantry.

I never hated the stadium itself. I always had a good time there. Even back when it was configured for football. I sat in those seats out in center field and still had a good time.

But my expectations weren't that high. I was there to watch a baseball game. Sometimes a football game.

Nowadays people expect some kind of amazing L.A. Live experience at the ballpark. Then they find their seats and stare at their phone.

So I would just say be grateful you have a MLB team in your neighborhood.

Nothing wrong with Angels Stadium IMO.

i'll probably sound like an old man for this, but i don't care. 

i like having parking like it is now. it's right there, and for someone like me with bad arthritic knees, the shorter distance i have to walk, the better. it's easy to get in and out of stadium parking lot, and that also matters. if there's a way to keep the parking lot as is for some of us who need it, i hope that'll happen.

i also don't care about going to bars or pubs before hand or afterwards, and i'm perfectly content to eat stadium food. 

7 minutes ago, Tank said:

i'll probably sound like an old man for this, but i don't care. 

i like having parking like it is now. it's right there, and for someone like me with bad arthritic knees, the shorter distance i have to walk, the better. it's easy to get in and out of stadium parking lot, and that also matters. if there's a way to keep the parking lot as is for some of us who need it, i hope that'll happen.

i also don't care about going to bars or pubs before hand or afterwards, and i'm perfectly content to eat stadium food. 

Even if it doesn't have parking by the stadium, gondolas seem like the future.  Dodger Stadium is starting to promote them.

7 minutes ago, mmc said:

Even if it doesn't have parking by the stadium, gondolas seem like the future.  Dodger Stadium is starting to promote them.

that's because their stadium is built on the top of a hill, which is very much unlike anaheim. 

i'm not taking a ski lift to go to a game.