• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Moreno Family Exploring Sale of the Los Angeles Angels

axalar

43 minutes ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

I immediately liked Arte as soon as he bought the Angels not only because of the lowering of beer prices but because he reminded me of my Father-in-Law. I then ran into Arte at Spring Training some 15 years ago and thought he was super personable after we briefly talked about the upcoming season. My admiration has certainly diminished over the years and it seems like now is a good time for a change. 

The team is in the dumps right now and needs new direction and an organizational overhaul.  I sincerely wish Arte the best. He tried. He just got in the way too much, too. 

Same...

I've met him a few times and he's always been very cool.

When he was a brand new owner he went way, way out of his way to hook me up once. I've always been loyal after that.

But I have no problem with this. It's time.

Just wish he could have gotten his ring.

2 hours ago, rafibomb said:

You have to wonder about this. How much this has effected the team.over the years. Some years back a few guys told me (experience Angels) that the Angels have a hard time recruiting guys to play there.

And this is just me being stupid, but I've been wondering for awhile if the team has "quit" for some reason.. 

29 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Right, with either it would have to be a group. 

Moreno bought the Angels for 180 million. They're now expected to sell for 3 billion.

Henry Samueli purchased the Ducks for 75 million. They're now estimated at 1.5 billion.

The rising price of teams makes it difficult for anyone to outright buy a team anymore unless they've got a ton of money (like Cohen with the Mets).

At the same time, even Rob Walton buying the Broncos (4.65b) had a partial group, despite having more than enough money outright to purchase it.

So, I agree, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it is a group and that's probably the most likely outcome.

Now, Ballmer could buy it outright. He's got more than enough money to make it more than feasible to cover the whole cost himself. Kroenke probably could, but it would be tougher. Most of the others suggested, however (Samueli, Lacob, Cuban), would likely be unable to be sole owner without having to liquidate a lot of cash, and I don't see that happening.

Curious to see the fallout from all of this.

Team name: Lot of fans seem to be highly invested in the name getting changed away from Los Angeles Angels, but I'm skeptical that happens. Whatever the fans think, being linked to Los Angeles adds value - and, if I'm not mistaken, I think the current Bally Sports tv deal is predicated on Los Angeles being in the team's name. Whether it might get changed eventually is hard to say: The Samuelis have deep ties to Anaheim and would be the most likely to change it to Anaheim if they were to purchase the team. Any without an interest in Anaheim probably wouldn't care that much about going back to Anaheim Angels.

Location: Again, the Samuelis would keep it where it is, while any other owner would probably at least explore potential relocation. I doubt the Angels move out of state, although it's not impossible. But somewhere else in SoCal? Very possible. I would suspect a new owner probably builds a new stadium regardless instead of just renovating the current one, though.

Branding: The likelihood is that a new owner is gonna want to make their mark on the team by changing the color scheme and or logo. One of the least popular decisions the Ducks have made in the Samueli era was to shift to the D webfoot logo. Since it was their design, they've resisted the wide unpopularity of it and any suggestions of going back to the old logo/colors. They also leaned hard into the Orange County link by shifting team colors to orange - which I wouldn't love for the Halos. I'm less familiar with other potential owners - what did Ballmer do when he bought the Clippers? Did Cuban make big changes with the Mavs?

And then the obvious elephant in the room: What direction do you go as a new owner? Immediate rebuild like the Nats or go all in right away and start making big moves like the Mets? One big issue is that unless a sale comes together quickly, it is likely that Ohtani gets moved before the new owner has a chance to sell him on staying (if the new owner even wanted to do that).

7 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Curious to see the fallout from all of this.

Team name: Lot of fans seem to be highly invested in the name getting changed away from Los Angeles Angels, but I'm skeptical that happens. Whatever the fans think, being linked to Los Angeles adds value - and, if I'm not mistaken, I think the current Bally Sports tv deal is predicated on Los Angeles being in the team's name. Whether it might get changed eventually is hard to say: The Samuelis have deep ties to Anaheim and would be the most likely to change it to Anaheim if they were to purchase the team. Any without an interest in Anaheim probably wouldn't care that much about going back to Anaheim Angels.

Location: Again, the Samuelis would keep it where it is, while any other owner would probably at least explore potential relocation. I doubt the Angels move out of state, although it's not impossible. But somewhere else in SoCal? Very possible. I would suspect a new owner probably builds a new stadium regardless instead of just renovating the current one, though.

Branding: The likelihood is that a new owner is gonna want to make their mark on the team by changing the color scheme and or logo. One of the least popular decisions the Ducks have made in the Samueli era was to shift to the D webfoot logo. Since it was their design, they've resisted the wide unpopularity of it and any suggestions of going back to the old logo/colors. They also leaned hard into the Orange County link by shifting team colors to orange - which I wouldn't love for the Halos. I'm less familiar with other potential owners - what did Ballmer do when he bought the Clippers? Did Cuban make big changes with the Mavs?

And then the obvious elephant in the room: What direction do you go as a new owner? Immediate rebuild like the Nats or go all in right away and start making big moves like the Mets? One big issue is that unless a sale comes together quickly, it is likely that Ohtani gets moved before the new owner has a chance to sell him on staying (if the new owner even wanted to do that).

I really hope they keep the name as is.  Can you imagine people's reaction if they changed it again?  Oy vey.    I think it's here to stay.

I don't see them moving.  If they do I'd be very surprised if they moved out of Southern California. Even the buyer(s) is hell bent on having a team in a certain city, MLB has to approve.   There's more pressing issues with the Ray's and A's.  The Diamondbacks want a new stadium.  MLB wants to expand to 32 teams.  Where are all these teams gonna play?

I hope they change the look.  Not necessarily the colors.  An update is needed.  

2 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I really hope they keep the name as is.  Can you imagine people's reaction if they changed it again?  Oy vey.    I think it's here to stay.

I don't see them moving.  If they do I'd be very surprised if they moved out of Southern California. Even the buyer(s) is hell bent on having a team in a certain city, MLB has to approve.   There's more pressing issues with the Ray's and A's.  The Diamondbacks want a new stadium.  MLB wants to expand to 32 teams.  Where are all these teams gonna play?

I hope they change the look.  Not necessarily the colors.  An update is needed.  

I won't be shocked if they go back to Anaheim Angels, but I don't think it is certain or even likely. And agreed - they aren't moving out of state. Why would they? A local move is definitely possible, though, for better or worse.

While I like the current look, if they do change, I'd prefer they go in a more retro direction (not Disney periwinkle) and add some more blue, maybe. Don't want major changes, though.

16 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

This is the exact thing that worries me. 
Any owner coming in would understand it's a "win-now" window with Trout's health/prime at risk. 

If Arte waits too long into November/December to sell then this team would need yet another gap year to fully asses the team. 

It's nice that Arte is leaving, but he might screw this team one more time by his timing

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Speak for yourself. I predicted this. 

If you followed the actual conversation, you’d see I was talking specifically about the Angels having a buyer lined up.

5 minutes ago, mmc said:

Personally I think Angel Stadium is as good as gone.  The new owner may elect to keep the team in Anaheim, or Orange County, but I doubt they're going to want the team they buy to play in such an outdated venue. 

Yeah. I'd be shocked if they renovated it at this point. Depending who buys it, they may keep it in the same place (the Samuelis for sure would if they were the new owners), but I don't see the old stadium sticking around in either case.

39 minutes ago, BluegrassHaloFan said:

Saw the perfect comment on this.

“If history is a good indicator of the future, Moreno will higher the 2 best financial advisors available and still fail to complete the sale.”

Solid take. 

The perfect comment would know the difference between "higher" and "hire."