• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Moreno Family Exploring Sale of the Los Angeles Angels

axalar

I immediately liked Arte as soon as he bought the Angels not only because of the lowering of beer prices but because he reminded me of my Father-in-Law. I then ran into Arte at Spring Training some 15 years ago and thought he was super personable after we briefly talked about the upcoming season. My admiration has certainly diminished over the years and it seems like now is a good time for a change. 

The team is in the dumps right now and needs new direction and an organizational overhaul.  I sincerely wish Arte the best. He tried. He just got in the way too much, too. 

20 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I don't think Samueli has the liquid assets. He's the sentimental OC choice, but the Angels would represent possibly 40% of his net worth.

13 minutes ago, Hubs said:

It will likely be an ownership group, and one name to watch is Theo Epstein. He's been rumored to want a Stan Kasten type deal, and though many fault Moreno for the many issues he has, it's not that he's a bad owner, he's a bad baseball guy and hasn't understood team organization and baseball decisions. Scioscia was the baseball guy in the clubhouse for 19 years, 15 under Moreno. While there were GM problems and bad decisions, not having a baseball mind in charge of the organization is the real problem, and its been exposed under the DiPoto and Eppler GM.

Stoneman also was a huge guiding influence on Moreno's early years.

But, if Epstein is interested, you have to talk to him if you're a big money guy, like Ballmer or Cuban, or others.

We don't really know about liquidity, but I find it hard to believe Cuban, who is worth $2.5 billion less than Samueli is more liquid and "big money", while Samueli isn't. 

I'm not sure how accurate the Google is, but Lacob is worth $1.5 billion. Way less than the value of the Angels.

5 hours ago, eaterfan said:

I think Samueli will be a major bidder. 

They are developing the area around the Pond and I'm sure they would like to control the development around Angels stadium if/when that happens. He also is nearly twice as wealthy as Arte.

BTW, net worth according to Google (who knows how accurate these measures are, or the liquidity situation is) has Samueli at $7.1 billion, Cuban at $4.6 billion, and Arte at $4.1)

If you want a largely hands off owner with a lot of money to burn, Samueli is a better option than Cuban.

i'm late to this thread so your post has probably already been discussed, but what i like about cuban is that he seems like a pretty genuine guy, and i believe part of that is a true desire to win championships.  i've seen him a few times on that shark tank show and while the others are trying to fuck the person he comes in and gives them terms that are mutually beneficial. i think that's probably why he does so well with the players on the mavericks. also, i think he's smart enough in his broad business interests to not only allow other people to run the show, but also hold them accountable for results.

i have no opinion on samueli because i don't even know who he is. i assume he owns the ducks? 

17 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

We don't really know about liquidity, but I find it hard to believe Cuban, who is worth $2.5 billion less than Samueli is more liquid and "big money", while Samueli isn't. 

I'm not sure how accurate the Google is, but Lacob is worth $1.5 billion. Way less than the value of the Angels.

Right, with either it would have to be a group. 

1 hour ago, Duren, Duren said:

What exactly has Ballmer  won with the Clippers? Improved for sure, but not exactly smooth sailing. Since he became owner, Lakers one championship, Clippers still looking. A lot of smoke and mirrors and hype, but a lot of turnover and reinvention. The Angels need a serious owner(s) with long term vision and patience. Instant gratification wears off quickly. 

this is fair to ask. i love ballmer's enthusiasm but is their team competitive enough to win a championship? are they building well towards that goal? i don't follow the clippers so i really don't know the answers to this.

if ballmer wants to have skin in the baseball game, i hope he's willing to revamp whatever needs fixing, and that his work will lead the halos back to being a front runner once again. And this needs to be true for whoever buys the team.

2 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I would think once it was announced today.... I think it's going to be like blood in the water a little churning to see what's there... Balmer, Samueli's, Cuban... It is going to be someone who already has strong roots in Southern CA. (which may pull Cuban out as he would know the issues with running a business in CA). IT's going to be the experienced ones... (Balmer, Samueli, maybe a Group of Executives/Hollywood types, or a Real Estate guy like Bren. The Irvine Company has land for a new Stadium)... 

Or, like a Balmer/Bren partnership... 

A Balmer/Irvine Co. partnership is interesting. If Irvine is involved the likelihood of keeping the team in OC goes way up. Odds are that that any new ownership group with enough cash to buy the Angels will be smart enough to manage the baseball side of things better than Arte has. Keeping the team here is what I care about most now.