• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Moreno Family Exploring Sale of the Los Angeles Angels

axalar

What exactly has Ballmer  won with the Clippers? Improved for sure, but not exactly smooth sailing. Since he became owner, Lakers one championship, Clippers still looking. A lot of smoke and mirrors and hype, but a lot of turnover and reinvention. The Angels need a serious owner(s) with long term vision and patience. Instant gratification wears off quickly. 

The Ducks won in 2007. Fifteen years ago. The Samueli's have endured the highs and lows, and have allowed a complete rebuild to take place. Time will tell where it goes. But they are patient and hands off. They had a lot of good teams since but never had the playoff edge or clutch factor. Getzlaf and Perry were roughly the franchise Trout and Ohtani ( seen as a one position offensive player). They had a very good defensive core and some other high end talent but not the elite goalie that could steal playoff wins. Murray was a good GM for a stretch, though Brian Burke was the GM for their Cup. But over the last five years or so they hit rock bottom. It looks like they are in a patient, promising rebuild, but still a lot of question marks. Zegras may have the 'wow' factor for marketing, but the jury is still out about what his ceiling is. They sorely will miss the leadership of Getzlaf. 

Angels need the Samueli approach, not Ballmer's. But attention spans are short these days and image takes precedent over substance for some. Especially in the media, where controversy sells.

4 hours ago, eaterfan said:

It won't happen, especially in baseball. Local TV contracts are everything and the LA market is huge. That's why the Big 10 took USC and UCLA but haven't made the move for other big markets with big money like Seattle and the Bay Area. People don't realize the LA TV market (13 million people) would be the 5th largest state in the country (just ahead of Pennsylvania). Even in the NFL where there are only local tv contracts for preseason, had two teams move to LA in the last decade. No one is paying LA prices to move a team out of the LA market.

Anyway, I'd put Samueli as the odds on favorite and he'll keep the team there.

I don't think Samueli has the liquid assets. He's the sentimental OC choice, but the Angels would represent possibly 40% of his net worth.

Wow. This article really goes back a long ways to describe the dysfunction in this organization. I'm surprised to see Chris Ianetta as the former player quoted in that tweet. I would make a crack about him being a .220 hitting catcher- who if memory served me would hit like 5 homeruns in a week then ground out constantly for 3 weeks. But I would take Ianetta back in his playing days over Stassi right now lol. Maybe he can have a front office job with the new ownership. He hit it on the head though about the starting pitching. This team is always trying to find  1 year stopgaps with the pitching. Trevor Cahill, Syndergaard, Lorenzen, Matt Harvey, Julio Teheran and many other disasters I'm sure I'm forgetting etc.. Even though they missed the playoffs, I actually enjoyed some parts of 2015. it was the last respectable team we had imo. Since 2016 being a fan of this team has been an absolute disaster. Here's to hopefully major- and I mean major changes coming this way. 

42 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Of those guys mentioned in the NBA article, Joe Lacob is a UCI alum with obvious OC ties...

But I doubt any of them buy the Angels.

Lacob is also a self-proclaimed Angels fan, grew up in Anaheim and graduated from Katella High. According to an OCR article he also sold peanuts as games to be able to watch the Angels growing up. I'm not holding my breath but seeing how the Warriors have been run definitely make me hope Lacob is still an Angels fan and interested in buying the team.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Just reading the Passan tweet.

I usually defend Moreno on spending. It's not like we haven't. (Just seems like that since the results have been so bad).

But the part where we've never gone over 183 million stands out. That's not to say we "should", or that 183 isn't a lot.

But in this past decade of mediocre to bad, with Trout and now Ohtani, yeah... for at least a few years you need to take some pepto bismol and blow past that if your in house options aren't working.

He lied about saying he’d go over the threshold for the right player then. 

It will likely be an ownership group, and one name to watch is Theo Epstein. He's been rumored to want a Stan Kasten type deal, and though many fault Moreno for the many issues he has, it's not that he's a bad owner, he's a bad baseball guy and hasn't understood team organization and baseball decisions. Scioscia was the baseball guy in the clubhouse for 19 years, 15 under Moreno. While there were GM problems and bad decisions, not having a baseball mind in charge of the organization is the real problem, and its been exposed under the DiPoto and Eppler GM.

Stoneman also was a huge guiding influence on Moreno's early years.

But, if Epstein is interested, you have to talk to him if you're a big money guy, like Ballmer or Cuban, or others.

From wikipedia....Stan Kasten

Stan Kasten (born February 1, 1952, in Lakewood Township, New Jersey) is the former president of the Atlanta Braves and the Washington Nationals, and the current president and part-owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Long involved in Atlanta professional sports, he also served as general manager of the NBA's Atlanta Hawks and president of the NHL's Atlanta Thrashers.

A native of New Jersey, Mr. Kasten became the youngest NBA general manager in 1979 when he joined the Atlanta Hawks at age 27. In 1986 he took over as president of both the Hawks and Ted Turner 's other franchise, the Atlanta Braves, where he stayed until 2003. He landed in Washington in 2006 as president of the Nationals franchise, stepping down after the 2010 season.[25]

He has won two NBA Executive of the Year awards, three NBA division titles, and, with the Braves, 12 baseball division titles, five National League pennants and one World Series Championship.[25]

This is what the Angels need. And Epstein is perfect for the job. He knows what an organization needs to be successful. Perry can stay as GM, Epstein president. He can hire scouts and improve the farm, and build a new ballpark, and Perry can handle the day to day with someone like Epstein to guide him.

I heard this on 710, from John Ireland, who said this is something Epstein has been after and if that's true, then it needs to happen.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

He lied about saying he’d go over the threshold for the right player then. 

183 is the 8th highest payroll in Baseball. We're at 179 now, and that's 10th. But it's not like he doesn't spend, he just has three big money contracts on the books and all of them have missed time this year. (Upton cuz they cut him). 

• Chuck changed the title to Moreno Family Exploring Sale of the Los Angeles Angels