• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Jo Adell's outlook

Jo Adell  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How likely will Adell become a good major leaguer? (3+ WAR)

• Very unlikely - dude is a bust and will probably never be even a decent major leaguer.
    • Unlikely - at least for the foreseeable future. Maybe in a few years, and probably with a different org, but probably no more than a 1-2 WAR guy.
    • 50-50 - hard to say at this point, but at least he'll be a solid platoon guy, with a good chance of being better.
    • Likely - he just needs more time, but he'll get there.
    • Very likely - he's on the cusp of a breakout.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

He made a fundamentally very strong play in the outfield too.

‘I know this thread is talking about him not improving, but he honestly has in quite a few ways, it’s just been slow and he had a long way to go before he we could say he looked even passable out there.

Today Ward chased after a warning track hit and slipped and fell playing the carom. That resulted in a triple instead of a probable double. Not a word in the game day thread about it. 

Had Adell done the same thing, slipped on the freshly rained on grass and missed the ball there would be at least a dozen posts in this thread about it.  

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

He made a fundamentally very strong play in the outfield too.

‘I know this thread is talking about him not improving, but he honestly has in quite a few ways, it’s just been slow and he had a long way to go before he we could say he looked even passable out there.

I've actually commented a few times that he's being upping his game defensively.  He's been much better setting his positioning to throw ... a shit ton better.  Its just going to be a process with him.  His at bats too will at times look much improved then awful.  Dude is a work in progress.

Let’s face it.  Nobody is “pitching around” Adell.  

As of late, they’ve had him hitting in the six-hole.  

Pretty much all the guys we send up to hit 7-8-9 are right around the Mendoza line.  

So.....they aren’t pitching around him.  They are going RIGHT AT HIM.  He has struck out 67 times already in 172 AB’s. (38.9%)

He is not striking fear into any opposing pitcher.

Ever watch the pitchers throw warm-up pitches between innings?  How the pitcher signals to the catcher what pitch he wants to throw? 

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone does it someday when Adell is at the plate.  

yes....it’s THAT bad.

you can say “but....but....but there’s lotsa guys who strike out as often as he does”

Not guys who run like Adell does.  What would his batting average be if he just hit some routine ground balls in (let’s say) half of the K’s he’s had? 

or even a few chinkers? dunkers? full-swing bunts? Or some BS  “seeing-eye” ground balls that somehow get through? 

If there are runners aboard he probably won’t hit into very many double plays. Having him on-base after hitting into a fielders choice is of greater value than having him make that long walk back to the dugout and taking a seat.

He would probably beat out a few of those routine ground balls.  Maybe more than a few.

The “just go up and crush it outta the stadium” game plan isn’t working with him.

It’s even rare when he does go yard. 

From what I’m researching right now he has 11 career home runs in 423 AB’s.

-_-

He has an opportunity to be a very disruptive hitter to opposing pitchers and defenses.  If he would just put the ball in play.  

All that speed is a-goin’ to waste when he makes a rare home run trot.  Would love to see him have an impact.  

contact contact contact and run like a demon.  Everyone loves to talk about his exit velocity.  It’s good ...yeah.

No one is questioning that.

If he would just start making solid contact when he steps to the plate.  Just hit the ball hard somewhere.  Doesn’t have to reach the parking lot.

All of a sudden line drives and routine fly balls might find the stands.  Better than taking that long walk back to the dugout and taking a seat again.

I’m not talking about turning him into a slap-hitting, banjo-hitting middle infielder kind of hitter.

Just get him hitting the ball hard somewhere.  Anywhere.  If he fails to hit behind a runner and hits a bullet to the left side and into a double play then don’t get on his ass about it. That’s a good problem to have.  A guy who runs well and hits the ball hard somewhere on a regular basis.

The home runs will come.  Shorten up his swing a little and let his legs do the rest.  He could actually be a really fun guy to watch play.

First things first.  

As hard as I am on ya here Jo....I’m actually pulling for ya!

SO LET’S GO!!!!!

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I picture Sam Suplizio and Scott Spiezio looking surprised to see the other one, then one of them stabbing the other in the eye with a liquid sword arm, like the security guard twins in Terminator 2.

everything okay, buddy? you need me to come over or something?