• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Max Stassi

I know catchers aren’t easy to come by, but Stassi seems to be following the same path as Walsh—having a really bad year, necessitating a decision about whether there’s a void or he will bounce back. He’s known for being solid defensively, but his framing is below average this year (47th percentile), his DRS is 1, and he’s thrown out 21% of potential base stealers. He’s also 63rd in pop time (12th percentile). And I haven’t even gotten to his bat yet. The barely .600 OPS wouldn’t be so bad if he wasn’t striking out at such an ungodly rate. His whiff % (9th percentile) and K% (10th percentile) are among the worst in the league. His xBA actually might be worst at 1st percentile. His sprint speed is 14th percentile, but which has turned him into a DP machine. 

So a catcher that can’t hold runners, is below average at framing (soon to be unnecessary anyways), has a terrible pop time, is incredibly slow, strikes out a ton, doesn’t hit for power, or at all. Is he really our guy in 2023? And yes, I’m still in shock at what I saw tonight. Stassi made 4 consecutive bad plays. 

At this rate, we'll have 26 or more threads about players who "suck" on the Angels and they will all be justified. Plus threads about coaches, the owner, front office, ticket takers, parking attendants, hot dog vendors, broadcasters, Team store salespeople, grounds keepers, scoreboard operator, ushers, and....

That's the kind of year 2022 has been.  

Edited by T.G.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels take a look at O'Hoppe in September, and that he has a decent chance of making the big league club out of spring training. Even if they want to start him in AAA next year, they're not going to do more than sign another journeyman back-up to keep a place warm for O'Hoppe, who I fully expect to be on the big league club no later than June or so next year, maybe earlier.

As for Walsh, I fully expect him to be the Opening Day first baseman next year. If he's sucking up the joint after 100+ PA, there's Thaiss and DiChiara.

Meaning, if the Angels spend money this offseason, it won't be at 1B/C.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels take a look at O'Hoppe in September, and that he has a decent chance of making the big league club out of spring training. Even if they want to start him in AAA next year, they're not going to do more than sign another journeyman back-up to keep a place warm for O'Hoppe, who I fully expect to be on the big league club no later than June or so next year, maybe earlier.

As for Walsh, I fully expect him to be the Opening Day first baseman next year. If he's sucking up the joint after 100+ PA, there's Thaiss and DiChiara.

Meaning, if the Angels spend money this offseason, it won't be at 1B/C.

He can’t get here fast enough, AJ.  I’ve never thought Stassi was that good, but last night solidified to me how horrible he is offensively and defensively.  He played about as bad a game as a player could on both sides, and it was just a microcosm of his entire season.

It wasn’t even laughable, it was pathetic.

8 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

He can’t get here fast enough, AJ.  I’ve never thought Stassi was that good, but last night solidified to me how horrible he is offensively and defensively.  He played about as bad a game as a player could on both sides, and it was just a microcosm of his entire season.

It wasn’t even laughable, it was pathetic.

He's definitely making it tempting for the Angels to accelerate O'Hoppe's ETA. But Stassi has been a mostly good player for the Angels and could just be having a bad year. Evidently it is infectious.

15 minutes ago, ArkyAngelsFan said:

I have a question: what is "pop" time? What does this acronym mean?

Thanks for your input.

~ArkyAngelsFan~

The time in which the catcher receives the ball from the pitches and pops up from his squat position to make the throw to second base. The time in which he pops up, makes the throw and the infielder receives the ball to tag the runner is the pop time. 

Logan O'Hoppe's recent pop time is Pudge Rodriguez, Benito Santiago good. Combine that with his work ethic, baseball smarts, plate discipline and power... we got a really good player for Brandon Marsh who could end up being a 4th outfielder known for his defense down the road. 

17 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

The time in which the catcher receives the ball from the pitches and pops up from his squat position to make the throw to second base. The time in which he pops up, makes the throw and the infielder receives the ball to tag the runner is the pop time. 

Logan O'Hoppe's recent pop time is Pudge Rodriguez, Benito Santiago good. Combine that with his work ethic, baseball smarts, plate discipline and power... we got a really good player for Brandon Marsh who could end up being a 4th outfielder known for his defense down the road. 

This is ridiculous.  "pop time".  IMO Baseball is becoming waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much disceted by analytics.   "pop time"   Just another way to slice up a position to find fault with a player. 

8 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

I know catchers aren’t easy to come by, but Stassi seems to be following the same path as Walsh—having a really bad year, necessitating a decision about whether there’s a void or he will bounce back. He’s known for being solid defensively, but his framing is below average this year (47th percentile), his DRS is 1, and he’s thrown out 21% of potential base stealers. He’s also 63rd in pop time (12th percentile). And I haven’t even gotten to his bat yet. The barely .600 OPS wouldn’t be so bad if he wasn’t striking out at such an ungodly rate. His whiff % (9th percentile) and K% (10th percentile) are among the worst in the league. His xBA actually might be worst at 1st percentile. His sprint speed is 14th percentile, but which has turned him into a DP machine. 

So a catcher that can’t hold runners, is below average at framing (soon to be unnecessary anyways), has a terrible pop time, is incredibly slow, strikes out a ton, doesn’t hit for power, or at all. Is he really our guy in 2023? And yes, I’m still in shock at what I saw tonight. Stassi made 4 consecutive bad plays. 

What was Yogi Berra's "pop time" and sprint speed.  

34 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Has a player ever had as bad of a game as Max Stassi did last night? 

It was the worst defensive game I have ever seen, and it happened in one inning.  At the end of the day it is one bad inning that cost us a game in a lost season.  100% of the blame goes to Stassi, bad throw, too early of a throw, and a dropped ball.  

I doubt they're going to pull O'Hoppe away from a playoff-bound team with the arms he's working with there just to get a look in meaningless September games with a staff that will change a good bit over the winter. 

He does need to be added to the 40-man this winter though to protect from R5, so there's a chance. 

Edited by totdprods

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It was the worst defensive game I have ever seen, and it happened in one inning.  At the end of the day it is one bad inning that cost us a game in a lost season.  100% of the blame goes to Stassi, bad throw, too early of a throw, and a dropped ball.  

And that was just his defense in one inning @Stradling.

That doesn’t even take into consideration his 0-4 offensive performance with 3 K’s (2 looking) and 3 runners LOB.

You are right, his defense cost them the game, and his offense (and others) didn’t help either.

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And 0-4 with 3 Ks

45 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Johnny bench had the fastest pop up time. It’s a very common metric for catchers. Believe it was 1.8 or something stupid.

essentially the feet are shifted into throwing stance before receiving and the hands are brought up immediately together. I cannot tell you how many times I practiced this when I played. 

37 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

When young Berra apparently was a very good, athletic catcher. No analytics then of course, but reading about him from former team mates and others gives the impression that he handled pitchers well and was solid defensively. And he was fast for a catcher, despite a non athletic looking body.

But when he got older the Yankees brought up a really good prospect. Elston Howard, who was an elite catcher at bat and behind the plate. One of the first black players on the Yankees. 

The Yankees still needed Berra's bat so they moved him to left field. Where he wasn't very good, but he had Mantle in center to cover some of his ground. If you watch Mazeroski's series winning homer you see Berra drifting back thinking he'll catch the ball till he gets to the wall and sadly watches the ball clear the left field ivy in Forbes Field 

Berra was arguably one of the best bad ball hitters ever. And he had regular twenty plus homer production. In the HOF for a reason.