• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Who would you cut from the 40 man before August 31?

mmc

7 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

"he only reason I mentioned August is because I think it's better to do it now so that anyone waived/DFA'd can still have that eligibility after they leave the organization,"

Why is this relevant? 

Teams can sign players/claim them off waivers throughout August, and those players will still have postseason eligibility.  So the purpose of waiving them now would be to do right by them and give them an opportunity to catch on with a new organization and be able to play in the playoffs before the end of the month, because in September they won't be able to do that.  Ultimately doesn't change anything for us but best to do right by them when we can

10 minutes ago, mmc said:

Teams can sign players/claim them off waivers throughout August, and those players will still have postseason eligibility.  So the purpose of waiving them now would be to do right by them and give them an opportunity to catch on with a new organization and be able to play in the playoffs before the end of the month, because in September they won't be able to do that.  Ultimately doesn't change anything for us but best to do right by them when we can

Hard to see anyone on the bubble really being that valuable to a playoff team, short of maybe Velazquez for reasons I stated above. Don't really see Gosselin, Suzuki, Lorenzen really being enough of a sure thing in any one skill for a playoff bound team to be that interested. Velazquez at least offers one elite skill.

6 minutes ago, mmc said:

I really don’t think that’s a thing.

Suzuki, Lorenzen and Bradley are free agents at the end of the season, but Lorenzen and Bradley are hurt and I don’t expect either to even be active by the end of August. (Lorenzen isn’t even eligible.) So unless you think some playoff team wants Suzuki, there’s really nothing that matters by August. 

They actually could have done that with José Iglesias last year but they didn’t do it till September. 

As for getting a look at young guys, they won’t do that with anyone who isn’t Rule 5 eligible this winter, so it’s really the same question as “who do you want to add in November?”

6 hours ago, DMVol said:

I wouldn't dump Velazquez....his defense is enough to keep him around while the FO works on who the middle infielders will be next year....Sierra hasn't been bad....he gives you some speed and defense and a little bit of offense....not sure he is worth a 40 man spot though.....

If you want to keep them around this season, go ahead.

But neither should be on the 40-man in the offseason.

Velazquez has -0.2 fWAR despite 13 DRS at SS because he has a 36 wRC+.

Sierra has a 50 wRC+, 0.0 fWAR, and -3 DRS in CF.

The fact that both are out of options next season, which means they’d have to be on the MLB roster, is yet another reason why they shouldn’t be on the 40 past this season.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

Some notables who are R5 eligible...

Catchers: Anthony Mulrine, Logan O'Hoppe
Infielders: Jeremiah Jackson, Livan Soto, Kevin Maitan
Outfielders: Orlando Martinez, Torii Jr., Jordyn Adams and D'Shawn Knowles (maybe why Marsh was easier to move on from, as both have speed/defense to offer)
Pitchers: Ryan Smith, Brent Killam, Zach Linginfelter, Kolton Ingram, Jack Dashwood, Connor Higgins, Jose Salvador, Robinson Pina

I could see Robinson Pina maybe getting a late-season promotion to get a couple MLB innings ahead of stepping into the MLB relief depth charts for 2023, other than that I don't see anyone really threatening for an MLB audition that would necessitate bumping anyone from the 40.

Must Adds: O’Hoppe

Debatable Adds: Jackson, Soto, Martinez, Adams

Small Chance: Smith, Linginfelter, Ingram, Pina

No Chance: Mulrine, Maitan, Hunter Jr, Knowles, Killam, Dashwood, Higgins, Salvador

31 minutes ago, Trendon said:

If you want to keep them around this season, go ahead.

But neither should be on the 40-man in the offseason.

Velazquez has -0.2 fWAR despite 13 DRS at SS because he has a 36 wRC+.

Sierra has a 50 wRC+, 0.0 fWAR, and -3 DRS in CF.

The fact that both are out of options next season, which means they’d have to be on the MLB roster, is yet another reason why they shouldn’t be on the 40 past this season.

Let’s worry about the off-season roster in November….

10 hours ago, ukyah said:

the angels off season has already begun.

True…but as Fletcher said, no need to shape the 40 man just yet…I do agree that there are a few moves that we can make now with an eye to 23…a contender might claim Chavez on a waiver deal, given the success he’s had this year with the Braves…maybe even the Braves, who seemed genuinely disappointed to lose him…..zero reason for us to keep him….