• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Moniak vs Marsh

He was absolutely going to have a roster spot, and start opening day against a RHP. Platoon after that. 

He’s been up and down from AAA to MLB since recovering from his injury in late May. Two weeks at a time, give or take. He’s hit very well in the minors this year. He’s had his struggles, but he profiles similarly to Marsh minus D some, plus the bat some. Again, at this point him and Marsh are very similar. So what’s the big deal with trying him instead of Marsh in order to get O’Hoppe? 

Are we talking right now or henceforth? Right now, Moniak will be every bit as productive as Marsh with a full time gig. But in the future? Moniak it's going to be a good 4th outfielder, and Marsh is going to be a fringe all-star. 

Anyone check out Bryce Harper in the booth last night. He's very excited about their acquisition of Marsh, beyond cliche one liners. 

They know Marsh is going to be a stud and still be under team control for another 6 years. 

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Crappy hitting coach 

Yes it's the crappy hitting coaches fault that Marsh watches strikes down the pipe then swings at balls for strike 3 at pitches that are a foot short or a foot outside the plate. 

I might be wrong, but I would ASSUME even the crappiest hitting coach would say "swing at strikes."

Just now, CaliAngel said:

Yes it's the crappy hitting coaches fault that Marsh watches strikes down the pipe then swings at balls for strike 3 at pitches that are a foot short or a foot outside the plate. 

I might be wrong, but I would ASSUME even the crappiest hitting coach would say "swing at strikes."

If the same problem exists in multiple players then Yes.

If the multiple players hit well for two months then at the same time tank and strike out all the time then Yes

12 minutes ago, stormngt said:

If the same problem exists in multiple players then Yes.

If the multiple players hit well for two months then at the same time tank and strike out all the time then Yes

The players are professionals.  You can't be blaming the coaches.

Do you blame the QB coach when Matt Stafford throws 17 interceptions?   Do you blame the RB coach for fumbles?  

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Brandon Wood comparisons when discussing any young player are the AngelsWin.com version of Godwin's Law.

It's the Trout-Wood Fallacy: Every Angels prospect will be compared to either Mike Trout or Brandon Wood. If they aren't Trout, they're Brandon Wood.

As for the OP, Moniak could be better than Marsh has been, so technically yes, "Moniak could work out better for us than Marsh did."

But Marsh likely has a brighter future. 

That said, Moniak was the overall #1 pick in 2016 for a reason. Clearly his drafting was unjustified, but one would think he has some untapped potential.

Here’s my take:

Moniak won’t be better than Marsh during the next 5 years and the stats will reflect that when we look back at them 5 years from now.

BUT Moniak won’t be that dissimilar from what the Angels were currently getting out of Marsh— or what they would’ve gotten from Marsh— as it’s quite possible that the Angels wouldn’t have been able to unlock further big league success offensively out of Marsh.

I think everyone is missing the point. Moniak was not traded for Marsh. Marsh was traded for a promising catcher who is significantly better than any other catcher in the system. Then, when we traded Syndergaard, we said, now that you have Marsh, you probably don't need Moniak any more, so we will take him. It's much easier to find a decent outfielder than a decent catcher, though the Angels can't seem to find any decent player.

1 minute ago, drpiranha said:

I think everyone is missing the point. Moniak was not traded for Marsh. Marsh was traded for a promising catcher who is significantly better than any other catcher in the system. Then, when we traded Syndergaard, we said, now that you have Marsh, you probably don't need Moniak any more, so we will take him. It's much easier to find a decent outfielder than a decent catcher, though the Angels can't seem to find any decent player.

Exactly

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Plot twist:

He did not win a job on the roster coming out of ST.  Matt Vierling did.

I don't like his chances of amounting to anything more than a good 4th/5th OFer, but even if that's he ever amounts to that would a more than adequate return for a pending FA with concerns about his being able to answer the bell despite being owed 7 mil for the remainder of the season.

He doesn't really need to amount to much to still be useful to this team.  That is maybe more of an indictment of the Angels than any real praise for him, but.... still counts.

He won the job and got injured on the final week. Broke his hand. Vierling got the job because he was injured.

27 minutes ago, drpiranha said:

Actually, that isn't the point. The point of this thread is to compare Marsh and Moniak, not to assess the Marsh-O'Hoppe trade. 

Meaning, you're missing the point (of this thread).

5 hours ago, 70runner said:

When you know your MLB team has reached rock bottom: debating the relative worth of a minors average hitter with a guy you just dumped in a trade.

i'm a little tired of reading the angels dumped marsh, they didn't. they acquired their new #1 prospect for him. they dumped thor. there's a difference in the reason for trading the two players.

At t he time of their draft, Moniak was rated a better prospect than Marsh. Moniak rated a first round draft pick, not #1 though. Marsh had back issues and signed late with the Angels and rated a late first round pick or later.