• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Vin Scully passes away

mmc

I have this scene imprinted on my memory, being outside my house, on a perfect summer evening, and in the twilight, hearing Vin's voice narrating a Dodgers game from radios up and down the street. 

Elysian Fields, indeed.

It's not fair to call him "the best" - that implies there were others like him.  He was unique, a storyteller, an Irish poet, and you didn't even have to be a Dodger fan to enjoy him.  

RIP, Vin, thanks for the memories.

Th thing is, Vin was such a humble man, he may have known how much he meant to helLA and the Dodgers, and I'm sure he heard everyone tsay how he was the greatest announcer ever, but he never came across that way. He was just an honest man he did his craft very well, and let everyone else proclaim his greatness. He just seemed happy to tell the story of the game and to make people smile, even if the Dodgers lost. 

Another thing about him, he knew how to let the moment be the moment and get out of the way of the drama. He never made the game or the interview about him. It was always about what was happening on the field or about the player. He didn't berate people with pithy questions to make it about himself (like so many "reporters" do. Instead, he was sure to be out of the way and let the story tell itself. 

He set an incredible example of what a dedicated, hard-working, reporter can be and should be. 

If you have ever seen all the information provided by the teams prior to the game, and realize how long it takes to go through it all, just to prepare for a broadcast, and then to get it all in, including all the advertisements and everything, then you know just how amazing it was that Vinny did it for so many years, and did it so well. 

15 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Amazingly, he called 22 no hitters, including 3 perfect games.

Was kind of shaking my head at that last night.

Forgetting dodger moments for a second (forever actually), and realizing he's the guy who called hank Aaron's home run, called Jackie Robinson moments, the Buckner moment, Joe carter, bo Jackson's all star home run, etc etc etc etc

He was literally the voice of baseball. 

Listening to the radio today, someone made a "holy shit" point.

There were kids born in 2000 who heard him... but more accurate, let's say kids born in the 90s, who grew up listening to him....

.... there were also people born in the 1890s, even earlier, who listened to him calling Brooklyn games.

That's insane.