• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Jo Adell

BTH

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

I cannot comprehend how someone so gifted athletically is so horrible defensively. And it’s not like his defense was ever flagged as a concern when he was a prospect.

I can, but I can't fathom how he was rated so highly when you combine defense with lack of plate discipline  

He was rated high by everyone too.  People just thought he'd figure it out defensively?   

The athleticism is obvious, but wtf

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Someone hypnotize the O’s ownership and FO and tell them to trade Grayson Rodriguez, Gunnar Henderson, Colton Cowser, and one other hitting prospect and one other pitching prospect to the Halos for Ohtani.

No more feast or famine for a roster anymore!

No more countless clean peanut type acquisitions and re-acquisitions.   Do the Halos lead MLB in those?

Hey. This isn't that thread. Stay on topic, nobody is talking Ohtani trades in an Adell thread. Otherwise your crap is getting purged. 

It’s exhausting with him trying to see the good in every bad or mediocre occurrence. For example, I caught myself being happy with routine catches and ground outs instead of errors and strikeouts. I think we’ve become conditioned to applaud everything that isn’t failure with him. And I think people in the organization have as well. In 2020, he should have been told if he can’t play defense he won’t play. Instead it was he plays no matter what. He’s been coddled, which is not his fault. He has never had to struggle in the minors. At first sign of being able to hit home runs, he’s been promoted each step. 

Also, he’s a full year younger than Adley Rutschman. Who was the #1 prospect in baseball and is not exactly setting the world on fire. Adell was called up way too early, and a combination of his overconfidence and the organization’s coddling made him where he is today—with embarrassingly big deficiencies in the field. I actually think his at bats have been ok? 

Finally, I think it’s time to make the defense a non-issue. Jared Walsh has shown us who he is. He is a platoon player. Hand Adell a 1B glove, tell him by February he’d better be capable and let him and Walsh duke it out. Worst case? They platoon. Best, it lights a fire in one of them and we sell the other for whatever we can get. But it’s clear Adell doesn’t have a present in the outfield and that he has bad OF instincts. 

The biggest screw-up in that video was the catcher missing a decent throw when he had plenty of time to take the ball and allow the runner to slide into the tag. Really poor stuff from Suzuki.

Adell's problems are all in his head. Silly little errors like he continues to make aren't due to any physical inability to do so, I mean do you really think he is unable to pick up a rolling ball? Of course not, but he's rushing and pulling his head up before the ball is in the glove. My guess is that he's playing with a busy head, not a clear head, and needs to slow the game down in his mind, so he can focus on each simple mechanical step rather than rushing to move on to the next action. He's 23, I'm not in the least surprised he isn't mentally ready yet as I've seen the same thing with talented young cricketers time and time again, and I hope they give him the time he'll need to be able to express his true talent level.

By age 27 this guy will be a completely different player.  

Who would have thought Adell would have been a downgrade to Upton in left field? Quite an accomplishment. 

It looks like he wasn't actually a natural ballplayer when drafted, but more a guy with unrefined tools. Raw athleticism, power and speed, who scouts thought would adapt with coaching and experience as he moved up the pro ranks. 

Obviously he has major challenges in the big leagues. There has been some modest incremental  progress hitting, but he seems lost in the field. He doesn't seem to have the innate instincts reading balls off the bat, or judging trajectories and angles. And now seems almost afraid when he has to make a play. 

Some of that can be corrected with practice and experience. And all outfielders have scouting cards in their pocket for positioning, so that should have been of some help. But without the instincts it requires a lot more concentration and work. And maybe some positive reinforcement and encouragement.

And who knows if a move to first would work any better. Yet another learning curve  While DH is a last resort only if his bat makes it worthwhile. And on a non-Ohtani team.

if he wants to have a lucrative career he will have to get better one way or another or else he will be yet another guy who didn't live up to expectations. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

Catchers take one hop relays all the time. They are catchers, one of the few skills they should have is to catch the baseball. Suzuki not only didn't field that throw but followed it up with a run scoring passed ball in the 9th. 

He is the worst receiver of a pitch that I have ever seen.  Last night in the 9th inning he literally looked like a guy that was nervous to play catcher.  I believe his days are numbered.  And that number is less than a month.

8 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Jo Adell is probably going to be pretty good at baseball at some point.  But he's never going to be a baseball player.  Is he gonna 'get it' ?  I don't know.  

Adell might be pretty good at some point for some other team than the Angels.  He is clearly an amazing athlete and when everything lines up, he looks great.  However, Adell has not yet shown any ability to adjust both offensively and defensively.  He still plays without fundamentals which begins to suggest he just wants to play unencumbered.  I think he "gets" he is an amazing athlete.  I'm totally fine with being done with the Adell experiment.  The Angels have shown that they are not the organization who can help Adell transfer his amazing athleticism into being a baseball player.

Not all athletes are good baseball players. I am sure they have had his eyes checked but there are vision training programs (Slow the Game Down) and depth perception drills he could do that might help him improve. He should be doing mental/vision training and shagging 150 flyballs a day, every day. Once we trade him, it's possible some smarter Org. is going to get him the training he needs to improve and make the Angels look stupid.

Outfield defense isn’t simple but it’s also not like hitting the baseball.  I just don’t understand how he has gotten to this stage and this age and not figured out how to field his position.  It’s difficult not to assume, based on his other behavior, that he simply doesn’t want to put in the time.  I mean it’s possible he’s busted his butt to become a better OF and it’s just not clicking.  I don’t know.