• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Will Shohei be traded?

Will Shohei be traded?   

52 members have voted

1. 1. After reading his comments after last nights loss, do you think Shohei will be traded before this years trade deadline?

• Yes
    • No

Here’s a reason why I could see Arte Moreno approving a Shohei Ohtani trade:

If Ohtani just walks in free agency, all the blame goes to Arte himself. BUT If Arte allows Minasian to trade Ohtani, he could pin some of the blame of Ohtani leaving on Minasian by saying he just followed the recommendation of his GM.

I voted no.

It’s a tough deal to make before the deadline even if you were motivated to trade, and I don’t think the Angels (or Arte Moreno) are motivated to trade him.

I think they do the usual roster tinkering, hire a new manager/coaching staff, and try to win in 2023 with the hope that they do and it can convince Ohtani to stay.

8 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I voted no.

It’s a tough deal to make before the deadline even if you were motivated to trade, and I don’t think the Angels (or Arte Moreno) are motivated to trade him.

I think they do the usual roster tinkering, hire a new manager/coaching staff, and try to win in 2023 with the hope that they do and it can convince Ohtani to stay.

^^^My guess also....but if somebody floors you with some combo of 4 really good prospects and young controllable guys, I think you have to think about it.....you might not do as well this winter or next July....

44 minutes ago, Taylor said:

When is the last time the Angels had a pitching prospect come up and be a reliable force in the rotation or bullpen for more than one season?

That's a fair question. I'm just saying with the current regime, you're looking at measured success with Rodriguez, Bachman, Bush, Sandoval, Silseth...

The possibility of successfully developing pitching remains as high as any other organization, I think. 

Unfortunately, it's probably for the best for this franchise to trade him, but I think it's better for them to wait until the offseason to do so. More time to talk with teams, likely broaden the number of teams interested, and create a competitive bidding war amongst them all as the Angels try to maximize their overall return.

3 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Unfortunately, it's probably for the best for this franchise to trade him, but I think it's better for them to wait until the offseason to do so. More time to talk with teams, likely broaden the number of teams interested, and create a competitive bidding war amongst them all as the Angels try to maximize their overall return.

Just don't see how we could possibly get more value trading one postseason of Ohtani instead of two.  Think he has to go now if we have doubts about retaining him.

14 minutes ago, mmc said:

Just don't see how we could possibly get more value trading one postseason of Ohtani instead of two.  Think he has to go now if we have doubts about retaining him.

Fair point. The main issue right now is the whole Juan Soto situation. Gotta think the same teams interested in him are also the ones who would have interest in Ohtani.

Reposted from another thread:

22 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

My darkhorse trader partner: the Baltimore Orioles.

First of all, they have the prospects. According to Fangraphs, they're the only team with four 55 FV prospects, and they also have six total that are 50 FV or higher. Meaning, they could outbid anyone in terms of prospect value.

Secondly, their payroll is a measly $30M - so they could actually afford an Ohtani contract.

Thirdly, it would be a big, splashy way to say that they've arrived as legit contenders.

As for their prospects, they have probably the top pitching prospect in baseball, Grayson Rodriguez, who could probably slot into the Angels rotation now. They have a stud 3B prospect in Gunnar Henderson who could play in Rendon's place, and even push Rendon over to 1B or DH, with Ohtani gone. They have another stud SP prospect in DL Hall and two very good OF prospecets in Colton Cowser and Coby Mayo. They also have #1 pick Jackson Holliday, but he won't be traded (don't think he can be?).

If the Orioles were to offer Henderson and Rodriguez for Ohtani, it would be pretty hard to refuse.

The Orioles could probably tempt Perry with just their top two prospects, and throw in another couple solid prospects. 

The Yankees would probably have to trade four of their top five prospects - Volpe or Peraza, Waldichuck, Medina, and Dominguez. 

But then the Orioles could surpass that with throwing in one or two of Hall, Cowser, Mayo.

The point being, if the Orioles really want Ohtani, they can outbid everyone else. If they offer Rodriguez, Henderson, one of Cowser or Mayo, and Hall, then you don't say no to that trade.

Edited by Angelsjunky

44 minutes ago, Second Base said:

That's a fair question. I'm just saying with the current regime, you're looking at measured success with Rodriguez, Bachman, Bush, Sandoval, Silseth...

The possibility of successfully developing pitching remains as high as any other organization, I think. 

We've been banking on possibility for a long time. I've yet to see any of these guys stay healthy and effective for longer than a season. Sandoval is the closest right now, as somebody else mentioned.

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

We've been banking on possibility for a long time. I've yet to see any of these guys stay healthy and effective for longer than a season. Sandoval is the closest right now, as somebody else mentioned.

We have a unique knack for guys coming up, having like one or half of a good season, and then immediately fading back into obscurity or getting injured. But also never at the same time so there's no hope for a sustained winning streak (i.e., Rengifo suddenly learning how to hit right as Walsh and Ward go into long slumps)

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

The Orioles could probably tempt Perry with just their top two prospects, and throw in another couple solid prospects. 

The Yankees would probably have to trade four of their top five prospects - Volpe or Peraza, Waldichuck, Medina, and Dominguez. 

But then the Orioles could surpass that with throwing in one or two of Hall, Cowser, Mayo.

The point being, if the Orioles really want Ohtani, they can outbid everyone else. If they offer Rodriguez, Henderson, one of Cowser or Mayo, and Hall, then you don't say no to that trade.

I can't imagine any player would ever want to be an Oriole after they've massacred the field with that absurd wall in left field. 

What did we miss, 5 or 6 home runs that series because of that stupid wall? 2 or 3 of them were Ohtani oppo bombs, too. 

Ohtani deserves better on the field but I don't think he'll be traded before the deadline.

He probably should be traded now to get max value out of him (like others said 2 playoff opportunities instead of 1) because I can't imagine he wants to be here, but I doubt it happens. 

48 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

GRod, Henderson, Cowser, and Hall would be a crazy dynamic trade haul.

O’s are just 3 behind the Jays for the 3rd WC.

Would the O’s be able to convince Ohtani to sign long term though?

Blosomming team though, and it’s in a less pressure situation than the major city teams.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

GRod, Henderson, Cowser, and Hall would be a dynamic trade haul.

O’s are just 3 behind the Jays for the 3rd WC.

Yes, of course you could argue that if the Orioles are willing to do that for Ohtani, why not Soto? I think the edge that Ohtani has that equalizes the two somewhat is that A) he's not an a-hole, and B) he's got that historic cred.