• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

FiveThirtyEight: How this Angels season went straight to hell

Taylor

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Jeremy Reed and Matt Wise are probably in the upper half of major league hitting and pitching coaches in terms of their success in the majors. Most them never made the majors at all. 

That’s not it. 

Jeff and Doc:

Sorry if confusion reigned

My point was to do with their success as pitching coach and hitting coach, and not to do with how their playing success translated to coaching.

The results since they’ve been here have been very mixed.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

@UndertheHalo will self-immolate in front of the Gene Autry statue.

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

A mass vituperative tantrum culminating in collective self-immolation.

LOL, I guess we were thinking the same thing. 

It really has gotten bad, if two separate Angels fans consider the possibility of self-immolation by Angels fans.

12 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

The veterans haven't provided the leadership needed to keep the team afloat during tough times. 

The rest of the team look at Trout and Rendon's contracts and expect them (consciously or subconsciously) to be the leaders. And Ohtani too because of all the attention and publicity he gets. 

Not necessarily jealousy. But just leadership, clutch performance and big, morale boosting game changing moments.

They got a lot of that early, and it seemed to inspire others to play with confidence. Then it slipped away little by little.

Rendon suddenly was deleted from the lineup permanently. Trout hit an uncharacteristic cold spell. And seemed to be the victim of consistent bad ball/strike calls. Which may have affected his approach at the plate. Then he became streaky rather than consistent before his current injury.

Ohtani could not just pick up where he left off before last year's all star break. But started the season like he finished last year. Good, but not the expected MVP pace. 

And there are a number of other veterans who have been good in the past who haven't been able to lead by example. 

Ward, Marsh, Rengifo, Adell shouldn't have to be the leaders. They are still on learning curves of varying degrees of success so far.  The same with Sandoval, Detmers and the younger pitchers. Ohtani is a one man savior in the mound but he is literally expected to win every start.

The bullpen maybe have been the biggest collective disappointment. Right near the bottom for the worst in allowing inherited runners to score. You would think veterans like Loup and Iglesias would be dependable anchors. But they too got sucked into the negative spiral. 

A team with three superstars (Rendon being paid like one) just should never hit the skids so badly without some fight back and resiliency. And even Trout and Rendon in the dugout when injured should count for some inspiration and encouragement. 

Management and coaching are also big factors. But pride should kick in and an 'all for one' 'us against the world' attitude ought to kick in. But it hasn't. You see a defeatest attitude in the body language and facial expressions during games. Nevin's blowup had no effect either and seems like a desperate, futile effort to generate solidarity and emotion. The cowboy hat thing was a deception. Easy when winning. No help when losing.

I just see individuals out there. Not a team. 

Agree on many of your points.  Baseball is a simple enough game, first and foremost, you need to hit the ball, put it in play, something this team has had difficulty doing ALL season.  It's why I joined this forum, I had to bitch somewhere about the incredible amount of strikeouts by our batters.  Even before the losing streak, I knew the strikeouts were going to bite them in the ass sooner or later. 

2 hours ago, 79CAAman said:

Baseball is a simple enough game, first and foremost, you need to hit the ball, put it in play, something this team has had difficulty doing ALL season. 

Looks like we found our new hitting coach.

Who knew?

On 7/25/2022 at 12:29 PM, totdprods said:

Yup. This feels reminiscent of the Collins-era and when the rift formed. 

There has to be some massive disconnect between players, coaching, FO...one, two, all of these elements. Something. Some contingent isn't bought in to the plan or trusts another chunk anymore. 

Conspiracy theory, but I've been wondering the past few weeks if this is something that is going to come to light, in the media, eventually. That these guys quit for some reason we haven't heard about yet.

Seems super far fetched. But it's hard to believe they can be this bad. It's almost like they're rebelling against something...

19 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

LOL, I guess we were thinking the same thing. 

It really has gotten bad, if two separate Angels fans consider the possibility of self-immolation by Angels fans.

Call me selfish but I’d rather immolate a few members of the organization instead 

I really wonder if things had gone any different if they hadn't lost that Phillies game with 2 outs in the 9th. It seemed to me that when they lost that Sunday slugfest to Toronto to get swept in 4 games it was the start of something bad but one hoped it was just gonna be a temporary bad stretch. Then the game where the Phillies came back and won on that Sunday game (I think we all know which one) it just felt like this season was completely lost. To me as a fan that Phillies game was the one that really sunk the season.