• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Is Trading Trout Realistic?

If Trout was on a contending team, I feel he would be a better player. In a Yankee lineup he would contend for MVP again. The 7 losing seasons has fans frustrated I wonder what goes on in his head. Hard to stay motivated after so many losing seasons. Fans have lost interest as I'm sure players have. Ohtani is playing for that huge contract after 2023 and a way to a contending team.

27 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

If Trout was on a contending team, I feel he would be a better player. In a Yankee lineup he would contend for MVP again. The 7 losing seasons has fans frustrated I wonder what goes on in his head. Hard to stay motivated after so many losing seasons. Fans have lost interest as I'm sure players have. Ohtani is playing for that huge contract after 2023 and a way to a contending team.

He was in a slump and still had the same OPS as Judge. 

12 hours ago, robblin17 said:

Guess what is more fun than watching Trout play baseball? Winning. 

Sorry, I don't subscribe to the theory of throwing out the baby with the bath water. You aren't an Angels fan if you want to move Trout because you think that equals winning. You really think that's all it will take? What if some of those players don't pan out? Do we get to blame you? LOL. 

I would be a fan of some over team if all I cared about was winning. And I do care about winning. Think I like having to talk to crappy Dodgers fan who love saying the Angels are wasting Trout and all that nonsense. Life isn't fair.. maybe you haven't learned that lesson. The Angels will be good again you just have to believe and let the guys do it on the field. I've seen way worse teams play better than these guys are right now.

10 minutes ago, BILLYMACREXANDGUBI said:

Sorry, I don't subscribe to the theory of throwing out the baby with the bath water. You aren't an Angels fan if you want to move Trout because you think that equals winning. You really think that's all it will take? What if some of those players don't pan out? Do we get to blame you? LOL. 

I would be a fan of some over team if all I cared about was winning. And I do care about winning. Think I like having to talk to crappy Dodgers fan who love saying the Angels are wasting Trout and all that nonsense. Life isn't fair.. maybe you haven't learned that lesson. The Angels will be good again you just have to believe and let the guys do it on the field. I've seen way worse teams play better than these guys are right now.

You can be a fan however the fuck you want to be a fan and I will do the same. All I care about is winning. That’s why you play the game. 

I’m not saying that is all it will take. I am saying that it creates budget flexibility to potentially re-sign Ohtani AND you get assets back. I’m concerned about Trout’s injuries and some decline. He is too big a $ figure to have sitting on the bench. You have to factor in decline as well.

Again, it all depends on the return (and I doubt Trout even wants to get traded). It also depends on what Ohtani thinks. If it means he goes too, then you have to look at what it means to fully rebuild and what you can get for Ohtani. I don’t know if that’s something I would fully trust the Angels with, but I don’t trust them understanding how to win with generational talents either. 

Another question is, does Ohtani even want to stay? If he doesn’t then does Trout just become an expensive Cal Ripken - only difference being Cal played? 

Edited by robblin17

3 minutes ago, robblin17 said:

You can be a fan however the fuck you want to be a fan and I will do the same. All I care about is winning. That’s why you play the game. 

I’m not saying that is all it will take. I am saying that it creates budget flexibility to potentially re-sign Ohtani AND you get assets back. I’m concerned about Trout’s injuries and some decline. He is too big a $ figure to have sitting on the bench. You have to factor in decline as well.

Again, it all depends on the return (and I doubt Trout even wants to get traded). It also depends on what Ohtani thinks. If it means he goes too, then you have to look at what it means to fully rebuild and what you can get for Ohtani. I don’t know if that’s something I would fully trust the Angels with, but I don’t trust them understanding how to win with generational talents either. 

Another question is, does Ohtani even want to stay? If he doesn’t then does Trout just become an expensive Cal Ripken - only difference being Cal played? 

OK F-Bomb... I'm done. Late.

• 9 months later...

Hey there! When it comes to trading Trout, everyone has their own perspective, and that's what makes being a fan so great. Ultimately, the goal is winning, and that's why we play the game. I understand your concerns about Trout's injuries and potential decline, as well as the budget flexibility it could provide. It's important to factor in all aspects, including the return and the thoughts of players like Ohtani. And hey, who knows if Ohtani wants to stay or not? It's definitely something to consider. By the way, have you heard about forex prop trading? It's an interesting topic to explore alongside baseball discussions!

When thinking about trading Trout, I am reminded of how Nolan Ryan left the franchise. With legendary players like that, my feeling is that you keep them until they completely fall off the cliff, or chooses another team and leaves. This could be said of Ohtani as well. The thought of losing them for nothing seems inefficient when looking through the immediate lens of winning, however, players like Trout and Ohtani give the franchise an identity throughout the history of the game and for years after their playing days are over. The Angels lost something intangible when they declined to meet Nolan's very fair salary requirement and lost him in free agency. It haunted the franchise. He should have retired and went in to the Hall as an Angel. Generational players like Trout and Ohtani should go into Hall of Fame as Angels. Winning be damned. Look how fondly Ernie Banks is remembered with the Cubs and they never won anything when he was there. Some players you Ride and Die with, so in my opinion I'm not trading Trout or Ohtani. Even if the team is sitting more than three teams out of the last wild card spot.  

9 hours ago, T-angel said:

When thinking about trading Trout, I am reminded of how Nolan Ryan left the franchise. With legendary players like that, my feeling is that you keep them until they completely fall off the cliff, or chooses another team and leaves. This could be said of Ohtani as well. The thought of losing them for nothing seems inefficient when looking through the immediate lens of winning, however, players like Trout and Ohtani give the franchise an identity throughout the history of the game and for years after their playing days are over. The Angels lost something intangible when they declined to meet Nolan's very fair salary requirement and lost him in free agency. It haunted the franchise. He should have retired and went in to the Hall as an Angel. Generational players like Trout and Ohtani should go into Hall of Fame as Angels. Winning be damned. Look how fondly Ernie Banks is remembered with the Cubs and they never won anything when he was there. Some players you Ride and Die with, so in my opinion I'm not trading Trout or Ohtani. Even if the team is sitting more than three teams out of the last wild card spot.  

This ..  The Angels have wasted so much money over the years signing FA's that had their best years with Other teams-- Pujols, Hamilton, Matthews, Cozart, etal.  In Trout, we have a generational player that was born& raised an Angel and, for a few years, was the only reason to watch the games.  I'd generally always have Angel games on TV in the background, but would stop what I was doing when Trout came to the plate.  He showed loyalty & confidence by signing (granted for a sheet-load if money) but I'm satisfied with returning that loyalty for a special talent like Trout & wouldn't consider trading him...even in theory.  That said, if he were to REQUEST a trade for a valid reason, I'd ask him where he wanted to go and see if a deal made sense.  Ditto that for Ohtani.  The Angels should simply offer him the max they're willing to that makes sense... Add in periodic opt-out clauses, NTC or whatever sweetener gets it done.  If he says "no", then the Angels did their best to make it happen & we get the draft pick.  If he requests a trade between now & seasons end, I try to accommodate him.