• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

MLB Network's Bold Second Half Prediction: Shohei Ohtani Will Be an Atlanta Brave

Chuck

Yeah there's no way they kick back Riley, but I'd love Michael Harris, their #1 prospect in Vaughn Grissom (SS) and either Kyle Wright or their top two SP prospects, both of which are near major league ready in Jared Shuster and Kyle Muller. Both LHP's. 

Or if they included Wilson Contreras...

Ohtani and Syndergaard for...

Harris, Contreras, Grissom, Wright, Muller and Shuster. 

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d want Albies and pitching. 

I would rather have Grissom, Harris, Wright and Contreras than a trade centered around Albies. 

Grissom is their #1 prospect, a SS slashing .324/.411/.500 with pop (12 HR) and speed (23 SB), with great plate discipline. 

Plainly put, the Braves don't have the pieces to pull it off, I don't think. At minimum, and I mean minimum because of his status as a two way player, you're in essence trading for two elite players taking up one roster spot. 

An elite DH may cost two top prospects. An inexpensive ace starting pitcher? At minimum, three top prospects and a fourth useful piece. 

So for this trade to be worth it, Atlanta would need to send the Angels six prospects, five of which would need to be VERY good, if not all five being top 100 prospects. They don't have that. 

The closest they could offer without derailing their own roster would be Kyle Muller, Vaughn Grissom, Michael Harris II, Tucker Davidson, then throw in their first three draft picks from this year, pitchers Owen Murphy, JR Ritchie and Cole Phillips. 

Now even with that offer, does it work for the Angels? Muller steps into the rotation immediately, and there's a decent chance he's a mid rotation starter. Grissom becomes a decent 2B prospect on a team that already has a decent 2B prospect or two, so he's just extra talent to have on hand when Rendon goes down. Harris II is the new starting LF and that pushes Adell to DH (along with Trout and Stefanic rotating through there) which is valuable. Davidson isn't the most protectable but he's a  solid lefty that I'd put on par with Silseth in terms of holding down a rotation spot. The other three prospects are all going, and chances are, only one becomes a meaningful starting pitcher in the big leagues as a mid rotation starter. 

So in essence, the Angels get two mid rotation starters, a good but non-all-star outfielder and a utility infielder out of it. Does that cover the value of Ohtani? No, not really. 

So no, even with that monster package, the Braves couldn't swing it. 

I took this as a joke prediction, or not something to be taken seriously.  A wacky, far-out prediction.

Living in the ATL, I can't see Liberty Media shelling out what it would take to sign him long term.  They don't usually spend (Matt Olson contract notwithstanding, but that money would have gone to Freeman anyway).

But I've been surprised before.  Not expecting it.

25 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

the problem with this is that Atlanta is a very well run organization. They arent going to gut their entire future for Ohtani when him and Trout cant get it done in Anaheim. 

We traded Casey Kotchman to the Braves for Mike Trout.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

We traded Casey Kotchman to the Braves for Mike Trout.

Plus a couple months of Mark Teixeira (which was fun) and the fall out of him signing with New York which included a cleverly dubbed Hitler video with Arte being Hitler, and chewing out the front office and coaching staff. 

Good times.