• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Should the Angels Look to Trade Raisel Iglesias?

BTH

They should welcome and offers for MLB-ready talent on anyone in the org at this point, but I don't think they need to trade just to trade. 

The Angels do not need to trade Iglesias, Walsh, Sandoval, Stassi but if there was an org that had some MLB talent blocked by established players or is facing a big 40-man crunch/payroll tightness this winter and the Angels can use that to their advantage by checking off some 2023 needs it's worth considering. That's the sort of trade savvy orgs make (though granted savvier teams also have better farms and more payroll flexibility to build contingencies if bold trades like that fail). 

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

You are one million percent wrong.  The team is really not far off PROVIDED THEY DECIDE TO COMMIT THE MONEY NECESSARY to add what they need.  This team could be really good with a couple of high end starters and an offensively productive shortstop.

The question is if they see it this way or if they agree with you that they want to try to build a whole new team at a lower cost with that process very likely taking many years.  I see no reason, at all, to go this route verus spending some money to fill the holes that need to be filled and trying to win with Trout/Ohtani/Rendon/etc.

I disagree throwing more money at the problem will not work. First top tier starters have to want to play for Angels. Halos need help at SS, OF starters plus help in bullpen. Seven years of losing makes my point. Farm system stinks, in halo division we are only better than Oakland now. Ohtani will be gone and who knows if Trout will want to stay. Rendon contract has turned out to be a disaster. How many more years of losing do you want. Many former good teams in rebuild mode now Nationals, Cubs, Tigers and Angels need to join them or it will be the same for years to come. IT'S TIME TO REBUILD THIS TEAM. Big money contracts have failed to work for Angels and most teams that do them. How many more losing season and false hopes this team offers year after year.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I disagree throwing more money at the problem will not work. First top tier starters have to want to play for Angels. Halos need help at SS, OF starters plus help in bullpen. Seven years of losing makes my point. Farm system stinks, in halo division we are only better than Oakland now. Ohtani will be gone and who knows if Trout will want to stay. Rendon contract has turned out to be a disaster. How many more years of losing do you want. Many former good teams in rebuild mode now Nationals, Cubs, Tigers and Angels need to join them or it will be the same for years to come. IT'S TIME TO REBUILD THIS TEAM. Big money contracts have failed to work for Angels and most teams that do them. How many more losing season and false hopes this team offers year after year.

Ok but that’s not happening.  I would just focus on getting much better and retaining Ohtani.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Translation:  You hate losing so much that somebody has to be buried in a coffin to pay for it.  If the Angels would just punt completely and begin a five year rebuild you get to forever blame Moreno for the cemented failure.

I would prefer to actually win now, and with two upgrades in the rotation and a shortstop that can hit, it is actually possible.  That’s not a moment to blow it up.  That’s a moment to execute the moves that need to be made.

And finally, if you don’t trust this team to make three or four moves to win, how on earth can you advocate trusting them with a far more complicated total rebuild that includes developing players when they have not done well developing players?

9 hours ago, eligrba said:

No. That would be dumb.

I agree. 

He's hit a rough patches like any closer does and there was a game where I thought he was pitching well but he just got beat, and that is going to happen. The balls just fell. 

Besides those couple of games he is a guy I trust going into the 9th with a lead of 3 runs or less. He's 15 for 18 in save opportunities. 

Other Notable Closers on Competitive teams:

Asstros: Pressly 19/22

Braves: Jansen 22/26

Doyers: Kimbrel 15/18

Stankees: Holmes 16/18

So he's basically right where the other guys are.

This team needs some semblance of consistency, and if there's anyone that provides that, he is that guy. If we ever get a goddamn lead and need it to be held, I can't think of anyone else on the team I'd want to put out there in the 9th.

43 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Translation:  You hate losing so much that somebody has to be buried in a coffin to pay for it.  If the Angels would just punt completely and begin a five year rebuild you get to forever blame Moreno for the cemented failure.

I would prefer to actually win now, and with two upgrades in the rotation and a shortstop that can hit, it is actually possible.  That’s not a moment to blow it up.  That’s a moment to execute the moves that need to be made.

And finally, if you don’t trust this team to make three or four moves to win, how on earth can you advocate trusting them with a far more complicated total rebuild that includes developing players when they have not done well developing players?

They are more than a SS who can hit and a couple of starters away. Halos need so much more. What top notch SS is going to sign here? Who are starters coming here? How do you advocate signing FA or trades to turn this team around. That has not worked for 7 years. Angels this year will lose over 100 games. If this was 1 bad year OK but it's SEVEN STRAIGHT YEARS

19 hours ago, Trendon said:

He’s owed 3/$48M after this season for his age 33, 34, and 35 seasons.

The Angels would probably be better off re-allocating that $16M AAV, especially since they already have $14M in AAV tied up between Loup and Tepera (who likely don’t have trade value).

The value would mainly lie in freeing up the money to make the team more well-rounded, but it’s possible they could get a useful piece in return.

While Iglesias has a high ERA, his peripherals are still very good (3.21 FIP, 2.71 xFIP, 12.94 K/9) and he has a very good career track record. Closers are always in demand, so I’d imagine there’d be interest.

It would be hard to find a taker for Iggy unless the Angels absorb a big part of his contract. Other teams would be leery of a mid-thirties pitcher for three years, especially based on this season so far. If traded maybe he could return a just outside the top thirty and a lottery ticket. 

44 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

I agree. 

He's hit a rough patches like any closer does and there was a game where I thought he was pitching well but he just got beat, and that is going to happen. The balls just fell. 

Besides those couple of games he is a guy I trust going into the 9th with a lead of 3 runs or less. He's 15 for 18 in save opportunities. 

Other Notable Closers on Competitive teams:

Asstros: Pressly 19/22

Braves: Jansen 22/26

Doyers: Kimbrel 15/18

Stankees: Holmes 16/18

So he's basically right where the other guys are.

This team needs some semblance of consistency, and if there's anyone that provides that, he is that guy. If we ever get a goddamn lead and need it to be held, I can't think of anyone else on the team I'd want to put out there in the 9th.

Look at the numbers for those other guys. The only real comp when you look outside the saves is kimbrel and he’s been a dumpster fire this year.  Ask Dodgers fan if they will feel good in the World Series if they have to count on kimbrel to save close games.  The others all have winning records, ERAs much better than iglesias, and lower WHIP.  Save numbers can be very misleading about how good someone is.  

1 hour ago, Revad said:

Ok but that’s not happening.  I would just focus on getting much better and retaining Ohtani.

If you were the most talented player ever to play this game and want to get into playoffs are you signing with Angels? He is leaving via FA after next year halos if smart will try and get something for him. 

12 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

They are more than a SS who can hit and a couple of starters away.

Disagree.

Two good starters plus Ohtani, Sandoval and Detmers (add a warm body for a sixth starter if you want) is a rotation that can get to the postseason and, more importantly, set up well to dominate in the postseason.

The lineup can be more than good enough with another impact bat at SS and just marginal improvements from Adell/Marsh.

This team can be very good with just a few moves.

You are so scarred by the “seven years of losing” that to you can’t be objective.  

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Disagree.

Two good starters plus Ohtani, Sandoval and Detmers (add a warm body for a sixth starter if you want) is a rotation that can get to the postseason and, more importantly, set up well to dominate in the postseason.

The lineup can be more than good enough with another impact bat at SS and just marginal improvements from Adell/Marsh.

This team can be very good with just a few moves.

You are so scarred by the “seven years of losing” that to you can’t be objective.  

I agree with all of this.

And let's not go too overboard with assuming Raisel sucks now. His underlying numbers still check out. Or to put it most simply, despite a 4.50 ERA, his FIP is 3.21 - meaning, his peripherals are good (12.94 K/9, 2.25 BB/9). He's given up a few HR at inopportune times, but it is the exact same rate as last year (1.41 per 9 IP).

The Angels should consider offers, but not necessarily trade him just to relieve salary.