• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Imagine you're Shohei Ohtani: In what scenario would you sign long-term with the Angels?

26 minutes ago, tomsred said:

I think he will stay.  I was really encouraged to see that since he is scheduled  to start on Friday against Atlanta he told Dusty Baker he wasn't available to pitch in the All Star Game.  That is very encouraging to me, that he is valuing regular season games wins over an All Star exhibition game, and personal glory.  He will be leading off hitting against Kershaw though tomorrow night.  The Angels may not have enough talent as far as depth is concerned, but a fire lit under Minasian's butt might be enough to get the team back on track.  It will be a very interesting this offseason, hopefully we get a very qualified manager and new coaching staff in place and build some proper depth.

Glad that is encouraging, sir.

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

I wonder what kind of betting odds I could get if I chose to wager that Ohtani signs an extension?

I'd be willing to take a reasonable bet against that. I can use venmo. I think his agent wants to beat the highest sports contract aka Mahomes. The asking price is minimum $450m/10yrs on top of his last extension year to take him to age 39 same as Trout. IF Arte was willing to offer that I think his agent still wouldn't be totally sold b/c he prob wants to see what the Mets/Dodgers + maybe some random team like SEA will do that is in love with the idea of signing the modern day Ruth.

Ohtani's free agency has the chance to be bigger than Lebron's, Harper's, and pretty much everyone else in the history of modern sports especially if he goes into it being the 1st AL player to win back-back-back MVP's (Bonds did it in the NL). An Arod-Texas type deal out of nowhere to break all records is prime to take place.

On 7/17/2022 at 6:15 AM, ThisismineScios said:

This is important. Trout genuinely thought the team was headed in the right direction which wasn’t obvious at the time. I don’t say this just as a fan, but I think we underestimate how comfortable guys get. I think Shohei really likes living in Irvine, the quiet nondescript nature of OC, the Asian community, his teammates, and how the Angels have allowed him to grow. Also, he blames himself somehow for not hitting 4 home runs a game. Winning to him may not mean going to the Dodgers or Yankees (like we thought it meant to Trout). It could mean he likes the team, thinks they can be competitive, likes playing with PEOPLE like Trout and Fletcher and Stassi (easygoing nice guys). 

I truly think more than anything he wants the Angels to match his terms. He’s not the “uproot yourself and start over” kind of person naturally, so I think he wants to stay for the right number. And guess what? He’s worth it, as a pitcher that hits 25 HR alone. We can’t afford to lose him. And for the people who say trade him, we have Trout and Rendon to compete now. You don’t win a trade like that unless you get 4/5 prospects that cash in 3-4 years later. WAS will lose the Soto trade, but has no choice. FLA lost the Cabrera trade. They also lost the Stanton trade. You always lose take the talent. And we need Ohtani. I don’t care what Arte pays him. But if you trade him, you are sending a very clear message to Trout that I don’t think he will appreciate. And for this who want to trade both and rebuild, log off and go play The Show franchise mode because that sets us back 5 years and tags our franchise for decades. I don’t want to root for a team known for that. 

Did I write this?

Honestly, right now, none.
Trout was different, they could still sell the intent to win, at this point thats moot.  Trout probably pissed himself if were being real.
Money wont be the factor for Ohtani, he will get larger offers from others, just as so many other players have, and he has all thetoptions in thew world now with the universal DH.   WE are lucky that didnt happen sooner or we never get him.
Arte had so many chances to fix this club, and simply isnt going to do it.
Enjoy it while yuou can guys, he wont be here long term. 

Shohei Ohtani should do what's best for Shohei Ohtani.  He and Trout, actually.    Orange County living is quite nice, but not what it used to be.  And the Angels organization has shown me very little in the way of evaluating, acquiring or developing talent over the last several years, so I doubt we'd get an equitable deal in a Ohtani or Trout trade scenario.  The Duffy's, Velazquez', Wade's McKinnon's, Mayfield's, etc of the world don't move the needle and I think we're in the bottom third of quality farm prospects.  Still, If he likes OC living, meets a nice girl and wants to stay-- hoping the organization can field a competitive team-- he should stay & will be a very wealthy man.... If he wants to align with an organization that's had more success in assembling winning teams, then he should leave, and he will be a very wealthy man. 

We said the same things about Weaver and Trout, so really just be patient, ffs.

If he has not signed by Opening Day 2023, that is when the worry should set in, the Angels have enough free payroll to make this happen and I think Arte would be a fool to not pursue this, presuming Ohtani feels the same way.

It wasn't that long ago when the odds of Trout going to Philly were pretty strong. With the Angels repeated disappointing seasons the most obvious provocation. His relationship with Eppler and input about the direction of the team was reported to be a factor in his remaining.

Ohtani is much more private and inscrutable. Not necessarily by personality, but because of cultural  and language factors. Which makes it harder to know what priorities he values. All players say 'winning'  is a priority. But he is one of a handful of stars who actually  could force a team to aggressively make moves to keep them happy. But that conversation would be through a translator. And inevitably be somewhat awkward. 

Off the field factors obviously vary from person to person, but rarely will a player criticize a city or organization publicly. They all have their own lifestyles and preferences. We don't know much about Ohtani's civilian comfort zone, but it certainly has to be a factor too.

Like Trout, his next contract will make him the highest paid player. Probably for years to come. Whoever signs him will have to negotiate with that understanding. And there are issues like injury risk, pitching/hitting usage, off field team commitments and so on. 

For the next season and a half the drama will intensify. Especially if the team continues to struggle. The soap opera around Trout will seem small compared to what may potentially unfold. Rumors will be unending.  

Arte really has no choice other than trying to keep him if he doesn't want to be the punchline of jokes forever. The Red Sox owner who sold Ruth needed money for a Broadway play. How'd that work out? And any trade will not compensate for the immediate loss of morale and confidence within the franchise.

I remember Gary Carter being traded for three promising young MLB players. Who didn't move the franchise needle. Carter went on to win a World Seres and enhance his reputation playing in New York. You just do not voluntarily give away a likely HOF player in his prime. But in the end there just may not be any choice at all if Ohtani seeks an alternative. 

The situation is really rather simple.

You try to extend Ohtani this offseason. If he does, great. If not, you go into the season with plans to reach the playoffs.

You re-assess come July. If the Angels are contending, you don't trade Ohtani and hope he's happy with the team having improved and will consider signing with the Angels before he hits the open market. If they're not and he still hasn't signed an extension, you entertain offers.

I think if Shohei doesn't extend this offseason and the Angels are out of contention by July, then you try to trade him. I don't think he'll stay after another crappy season, regardless of comfort and the Japanese community in Orange County. Obviously they'll get less for him next July than they would now, but the difference is not worth the damage trading Ohtani now or this offseason would do to the team and organization.

One more thing to add to my original post. I think Ohtani wants to be given reasons to sign with the Angels. My guess is that, money being equal (meaning, Arte will pay him what he's worth on the open market - which is a ton), his order of preference is:

1. Stay with a good Angels team
  2. Leave a sucky Angels team and go to a contender
  3. Stay with a sucky Angels team
  4. Sign with a sucky other team

I don't think #3 or 4 will happen, so it probably comes down to what Perry does to improve the team this offseason, and how the Angels start the 2023 season. If Perry does enough to impress Shohei, he might sign an extension this offseason, but it would likely have to be substantial (e.g. Trea Turner, a solid starter, a bucketload of good depth players).

And of course the clock starts ticking now with trade season. Perry needs to turn at least some expiring contracts into long-term value. He can get something for Syndergaard - maybe even a couple of solid (40-45 FV) prospects, or one good one (50-55 FV). Not sure when Lorenzen is back, but if its within the next week or so, he's a possibility. Tepera, Loup, maybe Raisel if the offer is good enough. Maybe float Walsh and Ward.

On 7/18/2022 at 10:09 PM, ukyah said:

you think ohtani is going to sign a "couple years" deal to stay with the angels? think about that some more.

why don't you tell me mr armchair agent/general manager ... i dont peruse mlbtr all day or really care about the minutia of player contracts ... im just a regular guy who has watched angels baseball for generations who would like to see a great talent like shohei and mike trout stick it out for a few more seasons to win a championship ... please enlighten me o' great genius of baseball transactions what did i say wrong when i opined on shohei staying with the club a few more years...

6 hours ago, patrickonealsucks said:

why don't you tell me mr armchair agent/general manager ... i dont peruse mlbtr all day or really care about the minutia of player contracts ... im just a regular guy who has watched angels baseball for generations who would like to see a great talent like shohei and mike trout stick it out for a few more seasons to win a championship ... please enlighten me o' great genius of baseball transactions what did i say wrong when i opined on shohei staying with the club a few more years...

Awkward Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

here's your daily double: who is never going to sign a one, two, three, four, etc. year deal with ANYBODY for his next contract? 

the answer is the reigning MVP, likley back to back MVP, the only legitimate and greatest by FAR two way player of all time and nobody else, including ruth, is even in the discussion. shohei ohtani. 

if shohei wants to push his salary he could get 500 million for sure. if he wants to bro it out with any team, it's still 250 million dollars. there are literally no comparable players in MLB or anywhere else. you think any agent lets him take a couple year deal which would then push him into his 30,31 seasons for his "big contract". 

lastly, that was a very weird response by you. all that guru shit. go meditate or jerk off or something if you get triggered that easily. and your username sucks. lol.

season 2 lol GIF by #Impastor

19 hours ago, patrickonealsucks said:

why don't you tell me mr armchair agent/general manager ... 

2 hours ago, patrickonealsucks said:

dude just stfu i dont care wtf you think ...

If you don't care what he thinks, why ask for his opinion? 

Have you met surfwriter? I think you two would get on famously.

3 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

If you don't care what he thinks, why ask for his opinion? 

Have you met surfwriter? I think you two would get on famously.

Seriously? Have you ever heard of sarcasm? Both of you must be some of those Biden voting Angels fans.

I made a post saying Ohtani should stay (how can any angels fan disagree) and some tard tells me that I should rethink that statement. LOL. I swear the armchair agents/general managers like that are scumbags who deserve all the shame in the world.

I literally made fun of him for being a mlbtr dork and then he took it seriously that I wanted his take and went on to explain to me as to why his contract is an issue after I wrote I don’t care player contract minutia. 

I am not a youth (not old either, but busy with life) anymore who has time for this kind of chit like knowing everyones contract and all kinds of things. Plus, these players make so much money I don’t even like discussing it because it is so undeserving for baseball players to be making these exorbitant amounts of dollars. That goes for all professional sports. 

23 minutes ago, patrickonealsucks said:

Seriously? Have you ever heard of sarcasm? Both of you must be some of those Biden voting Angels fans.

I made a post saying Ohtani should stay (how can any angels fan disagree) and some tard tells me that I should rethink that statement. LOL. I swear the armchair agents/general managers like that are scumbags who deserve all the shame in the world.

I literally made fun of him for being a mlbtr dork and then he took it seriously that I wanted his take and went on to explain to me as to why his contract is an issue after I wrote I don’t care player contract minutia. 

I am not a youth (not old either, but busy with life) anymore who has time for this kind of chit like knowing everyones contract and all kinds of things. Plus, these players make so much money I don’t even like discussing it because it is so undeserving for baseball players to be making these exorbitant amounts of dollars. That goes for all professional sports. 

I can certainly understand why someone would assume you're a child. Rolling right out of the gates with the hot takes and insults like you're trying out for Jim Rome's JV team

8 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

I can certainly understand why someone would assume you're a child. Rolling right out of the gates with the hot takes and insults like you're trying out for Jim Rome's JV team

You got me I'm a child. That's it I'm ruined. LOL.

Actually, I didn't insult anyone until after I had been insulted. Plus, my insult was so obviously layered in sarcasm that anyone who took it seriously has a really bad sense of humor. He called me weird for making what I thought would be taken as a joke. Go read what I wrote to ukyah and tell me that isn't someone making a tongue-in-cheek comment. 

Rome has been unlistenable for about a decade now. No thanks. You can go ahead and waste your time with that junk.

Honestly, I thought no one would bother with my FIRST post because it was my FIRST post but instead of that I got some dork telling me figuratively that I am a moron because I think Ohtani should stay a few years. Very welcoming to the board of that member. 

I love how on forums like these everyone comes to the rescue of some little pissant poster because you feel you have to have his back or something. I'm just here having a laugh and to maybe talk a little Angels shop with like minded people. Y'all need to back off a little with the high and mighty attitudes.

@Lou OK well if not a Biden voter maybe a Democrat up until Trump ran? LOL.

I'm just kidding as much as any of you are or maybe more so so don't take chit I say so seriously.

3 minutes ago, Patty O said:

You got me I'm a child. That's it I'm ruined. LOL.

Actually, I didn't insult anyone until after I had been insulted. Plus, my insult was so obviously layered in sarcasm that anyone who took it seriously has a really bad sense of humor. He called me weird for making what I thought would be taken as a joke. Go read what I wrote to ukyah and tell me that isn't someone making a tongue-in-cheek comment. 

Rome has been unlistenable for about a decade now. No thanks. You can go ahead and waste your time with that junk.

Honestly, I thought no one would bother with my FIRST post because it was my FIRST post but instead of that I got some dork telling me figuratively that I am a moron because I think Ohtani should stay a few years. Very welcoming to the board of that member. 

I love how on forums like these everyone comes to the rescue of some little pissant poster because you feel you have to have his back or something. I'm just here having a laugh and to maybe talk a little Angels shop with like minded people. Y'all need to back off a little with the high and mighty attitudes.

@Lou OK well if not a Biden voter maybe a Democrat up until Trump ran? LOL.

I'm just kidding as much as any of you are or maybe more so so don't take chit I say so seriously.

No, he's not a Democrat voter. 

Also, you really need to chill out. It's much better to ingratiate yourself with the members of the site when first arriving. 

Just now, Lou said:

No, he's not a Democrat voter. 

I assumed he wasn't after your first comment. I tried again to make a joke but still no avail. Notice the LOL after I wrote my poorly received joke. You'll learn some day. It's okay.

Sorry for nosediving the thread everyone, it was not my intention.

I hope Ohtani stays for a long time and same goes for Trout.

Maybe spend some more money to get another Ace and some bullpen and bench to boot.

I mean what player in their right mind wouldn't want to come play in sunny California for a number of years with Ohtani and Trout?

Why can't management sell this to attract more talent?

Lastly, may the Angels start winning again so we can finally watch some post season Angels baseball. It can happen. 😇

PS. Who changed my handle? 🤣 Does Pat come on here so you don't want my name hurting his sensitive silver spoon hollywood upbringing feelings? 

Just now, Patty O said:

I assumed he wasn't after your first comment. I tried again to make a joke but still no avail. Notice the LOL after I wrote my poorly received joke. You'll learn some day. It's okay.

Sorry for nosediving the thread everyone, it was not my intention.

I hope Ohtani stays for a long time and same goes for Trout.

Maybe spend some more money to get another Ace and some bullpen and bench to boot.

I mean what player in their right mind wouldn't want to come play in sunny California for a number of years with Ohtani and Trout?

Why can't management sell this to attract more talent?

Lastly, may the Angels start winning again so we can finally watch some post season Angels baseball. It can happen. 😇

PS. Who changed my handle? 🤣 Does Pat come on here so you don't want my name hurting his sensitive silver spoon hollywood upbringing feelings? 

Something tells me you're not going to be around long. 

Just a hunch.

@Patty O I changed your screen name. Like you, I'm not the biggest fan. But we don't need to broadcast that after every one of your posts. We have a lot of the Angels org, their players and family members read this website daily. 

Feel free to change your member name to something else, but make sure it's not disrespectful. 

Also, like @Lou said this is a community of Angels fans and adults. Most of us here have been interacting about the Angels and other topics for years, if not nearly two decades. 

It's not a good idea to enter in though an open community's door and shit on the couch upon arrival. We can all disagree and banter but different topics, but it's encouraged to do it respectfully here. Just like anywhere else. This is not Facebook or Twitter where you can get away with that shit.